The Casselman

Some state wildlife resource commissions are reconsidering felt sole bans. Some research suggests felt may not be the culprit. regardless, I never liked felt. I go vibram with studs.

Vermont:

https://vtwatershedblog.com/2016/06/29/felt-soled-wading-boots-allowed-in-vermont-after-five-year-ban/

A river I fish down here is loaded with it, but it does not seem to hinder the wild trout population. If anything, I'd be more concerned about spreading whirling disease and we have at least two rivers in NC where it is prolific.

With in the last 3 years the landowners has posted the section heavily and no longer allows fishing on the section. Nemacolin chapter of TU has been working hard to get sweet talk them in to opening back up but to no avail. I do see a lot of people in the section still and I'm afraid these people could ruin the chances of it opening.

Tucker733 wrote:
With in the last 3 years the landowners has posted the section heavily and no longer allows fishing on the section. Nemacolin chapter of TU has been working hard to get sweet talk them in to opening back up but to no avail. I do see a lot of people in the section still and I'm afraid these people could ruin the chances of it opening.

Could you clarify: Is this section in PA or MD?

The section is in Maryland from the Large stone Casselman river bridge to the Meshach Browning cabins downstream. This section begins about 400 yards below the interstate 68 bridge

That suprises the hell out of me seeing as how they rent those cabins out and alot of those people are fisherman. I assume the state no longer stocks that section right, what is the motivation there? Like I said I haven't been there in years but that was a nice little stretch.

The felt ban was a typical money grabknee jerk reaction.

The owners of the land didn't like the trash and traffic the fishing generated and have a worry over people being hurt or injured on their ground and it coming back on them. From my understanding you can fish on the grounds of the cabins its still open, just upstream of there on the other owners is the piece that has been lost.

Ryan,

that's pretty much my thought too.

+1 fayettenamese. I spend more time "rolling up the windows" then in any other stream I fish. The last time I fished the Casselman was an escape from Fort Ligonier Days and it was really low. The fishing wasn't very good, but it gave me a great perspective of the size/number of fish. The larger holes were holding a good amount of trout with good size. This was near the Fort Hill area. My brother in law had an ill fated fall and we ended up at the Fall's City Pub earlier than expected. Their wings with "house" sauce took some sting out of his bruised ego/elbows.

I know how fun bass fishing can be from a spin fishing perspective. My grandfather has a lake house and has been taking me bass fishing since I was 5 years old. Although I've never tried it with my fly rod, I understand the lure....

I don't know there is just so much to learn about trout fishing, it's pretty much consumed me. I've been learning how to cast better, nymph, dry fly fish, wet fly fish, use streamers (which I know would be useful when fishing for bass), entomology, fly setup, better knots, and just how to keep the slack in the line (which in my opinion is the hardest thing to do), and I've been gearing it all towards trout fishing. Sometimes I feel overloaded with information as it is, trying to learn to fly fish warm water seems a little over the top for me (as of right now). I know I'll get there eventually, but I would prefer to get a little better first. Although it's been two years since I started, I still consider myself a beginner. There's a lot more to learn than spin fishing. I've been spin fishing in lakes my whole life, there is just something so much more fun/fulfilling being in a stream/river. I don't know, maybe I'm not making any sense at all...

Ever since they stopped stocking fingerlings the trout fishing has went down hill quickly but the bass fishing can be tremendous. I mean really really good. If you want to catch trout you will genearlly need to stay in the vicinity of the many cold water tribs that feed the stream. They are vast in number and you can find decent to good numbers of trout below almost all of them. I'm pretty sure a few clubs put trout in the river early on and they also find there way to tribs as the water warms. For starters focus your time in those areas and learn from there. As for scenic beauty and a fly fishing setting.....I have no clue what the earlier poster is talking about. The 'C' is one of the most breathtaking backdrops for a day on the water that I've ever seen. There are very few rivers like it in the east. Rugged and slippery is an understatement so be forewarned. You're taking a spill at some point.

Zak wrote:
Ever since they stopped stocking fingerlings the trout fishing has went down hill quickly but the bass fishing can be tremendous. I mean really really good. If you want to catch trout you will genearlly need to stay in the vicinity of the many cold water tribs that feed the stream. They are vast in number and you can find decent to good numbers of trout below almost all of them. I'm pretty sure a few clubs put trout in the river early on and they also find there way to tribs as the water warms. For starters focus your time in those areas and learn from there. As for scenic beauty and a fly fishing setting.....I have no clue what the earlier poster is talking about. The 'C' is one of the most breathtaking backdrops for a day on the water that I've ever seen. There are very few rivers like it in the east. Rugged and slippery is an understatement so be forewarned. You're taking a spill at some point.

You are talking about a different section than 3oh4.

Zak wrote

As for scenic beauty and a fly fishing setting.....

The 'C' is one of the most breathtaking backdrops for a day on the water that I've ever seen. There are very few rivers like it in the east.

A very good reason for the OPer to fish it. Especially since it's close to home.

Much of the enjoyment of fishing is exploring such scenic places.

You can get an idea of what the river and landscape look like by going on Acmemapper.com, searching for Confluence, switching to Satellite View, then do a little "tour" following up along the river. The lower several miles especially look very cool.

Back