The Casselman

fishingn00b101

fishingn00b101

Just curious, how many have fished the Casselman and what their experience has been. Just want to hear some good stories. I recently moved close to it and was hoping to get out there the next warm day. I've always been better at fishing small streams. Nobody has to give away their special/secret spots, just curious.

Are you talking PA or MD? The maryland section delayed harvest is an awesome stream. It's where I will teach my boys to fly fish this spring. There are fish everywhere no secret spots needed.

I'm talking PA, but MD isn't a far drive either. I was thinking they were one and the same since the Casselman I'm thinking of is so far south in PA, but maybe not?

Ryan's right. The Maryland section is a fun place to fish. I fish it fairly regularly. Great hatches, easy access and not a complicated place to figure out. It's pretty open for the most part so there's plenty of space to cast to willing fish.

fishingn00b101 wrote:
Just curious, how many have fished the Casselman and what their experience has been. Just want to hear some good stories.

Not a Casselman regular here, but I have heard great things about the bass fishing in the PA section. The lower section is largely a reclaimed river and continues to improve in water quality. I'd definitely load up on poppers and bass flies and do some exploring this summer.

They are different regs I believe PA is put and take,. MD is delayed harvest. MD heavily stocks the stream especially in the spring but it fishes well in the winter too since they do some fall stockings. The delayed harevest section is near Grantsville, you can find directions online. Let me know if you need any more help, there is easy access all along river road and at the casselman river bridge state park. Once you get comfortable there head over to the savage, different ball game there.

Keep in mind, I believe there is a didymo issue with the Maryland section and may be regulation on felt boots.

JackM wrote:
Keep in mind, I believe there is a didymo issue with the Maryland section and may be regulation on felt boots.

Correct, Maryland has a felt sole ban but didymo not a problem in the casselman it gets too warm in the summer. However they will still fine you a thousand bucks for wearing felt.

My two cents on the Cass:

I hate it, it sucks.

They stopped stocking brown trout a couple years ago to protect the hellbender population :roll: that is basically all I needed to hear to stop fishing it. I also think its an ugly stream that resembles a warm water fishery instead of a mountain stream. Loads of rainbows in it though in the spring and I think its like a shooting gallery when the fish get acclimated. Good place to catch fish, but like the ugly girls in college - you don't feel to great about yourself when you wake up the next day.

3oh4 wrote:
My two cents on the Cass:

I hate it, it sucks.

They stopped stocking brown trout a couple years ago to protect the hellbender population :roll: that is basically all I needed to hear to stop fishing it. I also think its an ugly stream that resembles a warm water fishery instead of a mountain stream. Loads of rainbows in it though in the spring and I think its like a shooting gallery when the fish get acclimated. Good place to catch fish, but like the ugly girls in college - you don't feel to great about yourself when you wake up the next day.

Too funny, but when your new to the scene its amazing just doing it :-D

"like the ugly girls in college - you don't feel to great about yourself when you wake up the next day."

lmao

Sometimes ya just want something easy....

Lmao! As a beginner, it may feel more like getting rejected by the ugly girls....

I only have felt boots right now, so that'll have to change here soon. I've got limited funds right now, and I'm trying to debate whether or not I should get new waders, or purchase some fly tying equipment. Since I already have (cheap) waders I've been leaning towards a vice and some tools/materials.

I'm not interested in taking anything, and I'm catch and release all the way. Not too far from Grantsville, may venture down there to try it out. I've driven through Salisbury a few times and have seen it from above, and always been curious, so I may try to set up shop there one day and see what it's like.

I'm not a huge bass guy, so I'm curious how the trout fishing is on the PA side. I grew up in Latrobe and the only place to fish was in the Loyalhanna, but it was over fished by spin fisherman. Even the delayed harvest section in Ligonier (where there wasn't that much space) Had tons of vultures come out when they stocked it in the spring. Nobody had any fishing etiquette, they'd come up basically elbow to elbow. It was a nightmare.

Not looking for that type of environment. I've fished the Yough a couple times around Confluence area without any luck, but I'm better on small streams, I can't seem to pick up where the fish would be on larger rivers. I know the Cass is a tributary to the Yough, I thought I may enjoy it a little more, because it's a little closer than Altoona/State College. Oh well, if nothing works out I'll just head back up to Spruce/Spring/Little J.

If you want smallmouth, theres no better place if you fish from the mouth up maybe 10 miles or so. But, the rock snot is a killer. I fall half a dozen times or more each trip there.

fishingn00b101 wrote:
I'm not a huge bass guy, so I'm curious how the trout fishing is on the PA side. I grew up in Latrobe and the only place to fish was in the Loyalhanna, but it was over fished by spin fisherman. Even the delayed harvest section in Ligonier (where there wasn't that much space) Had tons of vultures come out when they stocked it in the spring. Nobody had any fishing etiquette, they'd come up basically elbow to elbow. It was a nightmare.

You mention you're a new fly fisher. Have you tried bass fishing? I'm not trying to be patronizing but it's long been a bit of an agenda for me to suggest to new FFers that they try warm water fishing.

You mention that you don't like the crowds on the trout steams and the stocking truck chasers. Many warm water creeks and rivers get much less pressure and smallmouth bass (SMB) are an absolute blast to catch. They fight better than trout and besides, why would anyone want to catch warmed over stocked trout in summer anyway? Let those who don't know any better chase scrawny, fleshy, stocked trout. SMBs are wild, hit hard, and are most fun when water temps are hot. You really ought to give SMB a try.

I second what Dave said. Don't discount the SMB fishing there. They are awesome to catch on a fly rod. I've lived most of my life within 30 minutes of the Casselman to many different spots on the river, never fished it much but recently had my eyes opened, very wide to its potential.

I've been thinking about heading down there and try some winter SMB fishing, thanks to some recent threads in the warm water forum. But I have too much fly tying to catch up on, to really go fishing.

The Maryland section is a great beginner stream. From the state line down stream towards Garrett is great trout water as well. I really recommend the Maryland section from interstate 68 to the PA line, but note the from the large old Casselman bridge down stream to the cabins (probably the best section) is now posted and off limits.

The casselman can be very tough on ankles. Tons of basketball sized rocks. Or are they boulders once they get to that size? Either way, it can be very rewarding

Tucker733 wrote:
The Maryland section is a great beginner stream. From the state line down stream towards Garrett is great trout water as well. I really recommend the Maryland section from interstate 68 to the PA line, but note the from the large old Casselman bridge down stream to the cabins (probably the best section) is now posted and off limits.

When did this happen? Its been along time since I have fished there. They always had no trespassing signs but you were good in the water. I know they shut down part of the access due to the bridge falling apart, but all the way down to the cabins?

Back