Tactics… if you’re catching fish is it wrong? 😊

Barbless hooks aren't traditional. Dry flies aren't traditional either.

For the great majority of the history of fly fishing, people used wet flies.
Those were the dark ages before the dry fly enlightenment.

Eh, I guess stabbing spawning natives with a broken rod is out then. 😕
Using a broken rod is considered gauche in most circles. A 3-prong frog gig or even a pitchfork is the tool of choice among the cognoscenti. Especially when trout crowd into feeder streams to spawn.
If you're really pressed a bottle of bleach will work but leaves a terrible after taste.

Using a broken rod is considered gauche in most circles. A 3-prong frog gig or even a pitchfork is the tool of choice among the cognoscenti. Especially when trout crowd into feeder streams to spawn.
If you're really pressed a bottle of bleach will work but leaves a terrible after taste.
I never cared much for what the cognoscenti thought anyways.

Again, everyone is entitled to fish how they want to, as long as it is legal. I think for me part of why I fly fish is to escape the mere concept of spin fishing as a whole, but that's just me. I must confess, that this past Tuesday I touched a spin rod and was fishing with an individual implementing conventional (baitfishing) techniques for carp. A spin rod was handed to me and I wasn't feeling too officious to turn it down (it already had a carp on the line, which I broke off in under a minute thankfully). I will say for the record that I had no desire to fish this way and would never implement this tactic myself, I just wasn't going to reveal my snobby nature at that particular time.
This mentality is what turns some spin fisherman off to trying fly fishing, seriously. I’m not trying to beat you up here on this subject. I think some people are turned off to the fly fishing community bc of the snobbery some people have. It turns me off, to be honest. I guess that’s why I go fishing with spin fisherman 😂.

At the end of the day it’s all about having fun, being ethical and abiding the laws. You don’t like to spin fish… well then just fly fish… for the life of me, I don’t understand why some fly fisherman have to vocally voice their disdain towards others fishing with different gear. I guess the next question would be can you catch fish with their gear? I’m not gonna go back and forth about this. It’s just food for thought.

I'm not reading anything super-critical of fishing ethics into what the author is saying. Mostly he's just saying that nymphing with weight is a boring way to catch fish, even if/when it works better than any other method. A guy out west told me the same thing, about nymphing on the Deschutes- that he just got tired of chucking, ducking, leading a nymph weighted with split shot through a run and having a fish bite. I've read other people saying the same thing online. It's legit fishing, but it isn't anything that fly tackle was originally designed to do. I think it was Nick Lyons who said "if fishing weighted nymphs under an indicator were the only kind of fishing, I would have abandoned it to take up golf." For him, it was a last resort.
Old school nymphing (pre-indicator and pre-Euro) is not boring. Controlling the drift and detecting strikes with an 8 1/2 ft fly rod and 30 feet of line out and no indicator is an interesting challenge.

Tenkara fisherman should just duct tape a reel on already 😂

BigViciousKingsnake size restricted

And then there's blast fishing ... At least you don't use treble hooks

Barramundi’s a bloody big fish.

Old school nymphing (pre-indicator and pre-Euro) is not boring. Controlling the drift and detecting strikes with an 8 1/2 ft fly rod and 30 feet of line out and no indicator is an interesting challenge.
maybe the skills are transferable to safecracking.

A challenge largely solved by using an indicator in that scenario. 😜

Back