Tactics… if you’re catching fish is it wrong? 😊

Wasn’t that also one of the names of Hans Grubers Guys bruce willis had to deal with when they took over Nakatomi towers?

Page 4 of this post and counting. So much for the "who cares" part of the OP's podcast title.

Me? I'm equally bad at every tactic but I'll try them all. I have 2 mono rigs on leader spools in my bag at all times.

There’s really no difference between throwing a spinner or spoon or chucking a big streamer. That’s why so many guys love streamer fishing bc it’s easy 😂

And as far as gear for WW fishing goes, I still think people who use fly tackle to throw “sink tip” lines to SMB should just go to cabelas and buy an ugly stick.
Do you really see a lot of people fishing streamers in your locale? I go full seasons without seeing a streamer being thrown. Nymphs and dries are most popular where I fish.

BTW I mostly fish wets, then streamers then dries. Nymphs are last on my list. Streamers have a terrible hookup rate but I kill more trout on streamers than the other types of flies by hooking in the gills.

To play Devil's advocate, isn't dry fly fishing easier? You know where the feeding fish are, you should have some idea of what they are eating, and you only have to present the fly in two dimensions. Successful nymph fishermen don't do chuck and chance it put but a reasonable fly where a trout should be lying with a good drift. The looking down on nymph fishermen goes way back.

To play Devil's advocate, isn't dry fly fishing easier? You know where the feeding fish are, you should have some idea of what they are eating, and you only have to present the fly in two dimensions. Successful nymph fishermen don't do chuck and chance it put but a reasonable fly where a trout should be lying with a good drift. The looking down on nymph fishermen goes way back.
At the end of the day fly fishermen always need something to separate and look doen on others. Many of these these historic legendary fly fishermen from cat skills and PA have accounts of being down right caty or clickish around other prominent anglers from what I have read and heard.

At the end of the day fly fishermen always need something to separate and look doen on others.
This is not true. Certain fly fishermen need to cause divisions and look down on others just like certain individuals need to do, or tend to do, in all aspects of life. Finding genuinely kind individuals always willing to extend the olive branch is a rare thing.

We have a good representation of both parties represented right here on our beloved forum. This is evident from meeting a variety of you in person as well as from your online message board personalities.

Catty and cliquey is very much human nature, however. Birds of a feather flock together.

This is not true. Certain fly fishermen need to cause divisions and look down on others just like certain individuals need to do, or tend to do, in all aspects of life. Finding genuinely kind individuals always willing to extend the olive branch is a rare thing.

We have a good representation of both parties represented right here on our beloved forum. This is evident from meeting a variety of you in person as well as from your online message board personalities.

Catty and cliquey is very much human nature, however. Birds of a feather flock together.
Yes there are definitely good people out there who don’t engage in that sort of thing. But yea it just seems you hear a-lot of that stuff in some of the most famous celebrated fly fishermen like skues halford. Verbal accounts suggest marinaro looked down on almost everyone at times lol. Your right its not ubiquitous but it is prevalent lets say. But yes similar are many things in life.

If you fish barbless traditional Catskill dries only, raise your hand. If you don’t, raise your standards.

There, I said it. I can be the bad guy. Been planning on turning heel for a while now anyway.

Last edited:
If you fish barbless traditional Catskill dries only, raise your hand. If you don’t, raise your standards.

There, I said it. I can be the bad guy. Been planning on turning heel for a while now anyway.
Wow. I thought you were better than that. Didn't you know that "barbless" is way outdated. I mean, seriously dude, I thought you cared about the resource, but apparently I was wrong.

What you do is tie your dry flies on a straight shank piece of metal. No hook, no curve, no bend, no point, definitely no barb. This way you get to witness the eat, know that you fooled the fish, but you don't disrupt its life and it just returns to the stream bottom without a mouthful. This saves the fish the stress of being hooked, played, and landed all for a barbaric enjoyment through animal torture and cruelty.

Until you start practicing this method I don't think we can be friends....I mean, we never were, but I definitely can't be civil. You can cut the bend off the dry fly hooks if you're poor and can't afford the shanks, but for the small price of 5x the cost of a regular barbless dry fly hook you can get a small, smooth shank. That is what I would prefer we all buy and use so we know we are proper and legit.....and I want the straight shank makers to earn their fair share of our money.

At the end of the day fly fishermen always need something to separate and look doen on others. Many of these these historic legendary fly fishermen from cat skills and PA have accounts of being down right caty or clickish around other prominent anglers from what I have read and heard.
And there it is. Although some people will point out that this is just a stereotype, most stereotypes are based on some truth. And it works both ways.

I am an all tackle angler, who prefers fly fishing when it comes to trout and a few other species. I try to treat all anglers the same, unless they are clearly anglers inspired by "The Movie." ;) Do I care what other people think of me? Heck no. And I certainly don't care what other people prefer when it comes to fishing. I doubt the podcaster does either, but then, I didn't bother reading it, because I don't care.

A little story: One day I was fishing with my little brother on the Grand River for steelhead. Water was up and fast, so I left the fly rod in the truck and was using spinning gear. We came across an angler using very expensive gear, but also had clipped on a large stick bobber. I couldn't resist saying, that is one heck of a strike indicator. But he clearly knew I was joking and we laughed. Whatever works. Unfortunately, that day nothing worked, but I still had fun fishing with my little brother who prefers using spinning gear. Something that I haven't been able to do in years. I think I need to change that as soon as I am allowed to walk again without a walker or cane.

I am also thinking of making a cane from the butt section of an old bamboo fly rod. :p

Eh, I guess stabbing spawning natives with a broken rod is out then. 😕

Barbless hooks aren't traditional. Dry flies aren't traditional either.

For the great majority of the history of fly fishing, people used wet flies.

2 handed 11foot 2 weight red-breasted sunfish and fall fish spey with soft hackle wiggle nymphs is the traditional way, everyone else is a heathen.

OIP.hYH8g5XBMAE80agxOifqwQHaE7

I'm not reading anything super-critical of fishing ethics into what the author is saying. Mostly he's just saying that nymphing with weight is a boring way to catch fish, even if/when it works better than any other method. A guy out west told me the same thing, about nymphing on the Deschutes- that he just got tired of chucking, ducking, leading a nymph weighted with split shot through a run and having a fish bite. I've read other people saying the same thing online. It's legit fishing, but it isn't anything that fly tackle was originally designed to do. I think it was Nick Lyons who said "if fishing weighted nymphs under an indicator were the only kind of fishing, I would have abandoned it to take up golf." For him, it was a last resort.

I'm still up for giving weighted nymphing a try. Because of all the freshwater fishing techniques I've ever tried- bait, spin, or fly- it's the one I'm worst at. I haven't had the chance to get bored with its supposed amazing ability to catch trout. I just have not been able to crack it yet.

But maybe that's because nymphing with weight has always been a last resort for me, too. You know- as if it wasn't enough to get skunked, finish up the day by lobbing weight, dumping reach casts, and dapping a weighted jig. I once finished up a zero-strike day on gorgeous Gore Creek in Colorado, clunking a weighted golden stone through the pocket water. I did one last drift through a nice deep hole behind a rock, reeled up the fly- and then a 16" ruddy-brown wild trout leaped full-length out of the same hole, right in front of me. Like "thanks for playing!"

Last edited:
Back