Tactics… if you’re catching fish is it wrong? 😊

Shawn Joseph

Shawn Joseph

I like this guy and his podcasts. I’m from the school of I’ll do whatever the situation calls to catch fish.

He did not name names but he was pretty much talking about Kirk Deeter’s ridiculousness with the whole stance that tightline Nymphing numbers of fish on spring creeks/tailwaters full of browns and rainbows is the devil or a real “conservation” issue. 🤣

The invasive brown and rainbow trout in the Madison are downstream of a man made cold water source and are there to be caught they sure as heck ain’t there for the ecosystem or conservation. I am tired of reading about tight line nymphing being the devil in these kind of streams in his arricles and podcasts. Sounds like Dom is too.

If you want to try a method that you’re questioning as to whether it’s proper fly fishing, the best thing you can do is run it by the experts on online messaging boards, like here.

Guys will be happy to help explain to you why it’s not FFing and what you can do to fix it. FFers are way more concerned about what techniques the guy in the next pool down is fishing than what they are fishing themselves. FFers make really snoopy neighbors.

As long as it’s legal, and you’re having fun fishing that technique, just do it, and don’t ask for approval or feel the need to explain yourself.

If you want to try a method that you’re questioning as to whether it’s proper fly fishing, the best thing you can do is run it by the experts on online messaging boards, like here.

Guys will be happy to help explain to you why it’s not FFing and what you can do to fix it. FFers are way more concerned about what techniques the guy in the next pool down is fishing than what they are fishing themselves. FFers make really snoopy neighbors.

As long as it’s legal, and you’re having fun fishing that technique, just do it, and don’t ask for approval or feel the need to explain yourself.

How dare you talk sense like that🤣 well put

FFers are way more concerned about what techniques the guy in the next pool down is fishing than what they are fishing themselves. FFers make really snoopy neighbors.
...and then they get pissed off when the guy whom they've decided isn't a real FFer catches more fish then them.

And become a better and more knowledgeable angler because of it.

Just don't call me an FFer outside of a fishing discussion. I'm just big boned.

He did not name names but he was pretty much talking about Kirk Deeter’s ridiculousness with the whole stance that tightline Nymphing numbers of fish on spring creeks/tailwaters full of browns and rainbows is the devil or a real “conservation” issue. 🤣
For many decades it's been "catch and release wild trout."

The next step will be "limit your catch, even if you're releasing."

For many decades it's been "catch and release wild trout."

The next step will be "limit your catch, even if you're releasing."

Ironically this mentality “limit your catch” is only talked about with tight-line techniques on tailwaters and spring creeks full of invasive species. Kirk Deeter isn’t telling people to not hit 70 wild native trout on dry dropper that actually have a conservation need instead of a negative impact and harder to get rid of than herpes. You can’t get rid of these browns and rainbows with electrofishing and other removal techniques if you tried. I don’t see why people are worried about if you catch and release 15 brown trout tight-lining in a day . Their taking over every continent except antartica and ranked in top 100 most destructive invasive species worldwide during a mass extinction crisis thats claiming wild native trout, what are we worried about….that they won’t make it to Antarctica??

Deeter is editor of a “conservation” magazine but I have not heard anything about dangers of tight-lining for invasive fish from world wide-life fund, IUCN, US fish and wild life, or the national parks service. Your 10 foot 3 weight and mono rig is the real problem. Climate change and invasive species may have some small effect too.

The invasive brown and rainbow trout in the Madison are downstream of a man made cold water source and are there to be caught they sure as heck ain’t there for the ecosystem or conservation. I am tired of reading about tight line nymphing being the devil in these kind of streams in his arricles and podcasts. Sounds like Dom is too.
Do you have a link to Kirk Deeter’s article? Sounds like a D***h…

Interesting that he mentions pro bass fishing in the same article, too. All those pro and amateur tournaments should have ended bass fishing from a conservation standpoint several decades and countless coats of metal flaked fiberglass ago. Jets getting access to places on the Suskie that boats used to not be able to reach, and so on, and so on. Ended smallie fishing, yeah? He just sounds like a mitch to me.... Aside from the fact that TU is responsible for a shite ton of stocking on the grass roots level, the publication addresses some real conservation issues for sure, but this is silly.

I have no problem with any type of fishing as long as it’s legal and, more importantly, anglers carry out their trash. As for tightline nymphing, yes it‘s effective and may catch more fish than other methods of FF. I do it too, and my “best” fishing days have come using tightline nymphing. But that doesn’t mean I find it as interesting as trying to catch fish on traditional wet flies or throwing streamers.

Why do some folks tell us to treat trout with kid gloves yet other, sometimes less desirable species do not receive the same treatment? I fish barbless hooks, do not fish when water temps reach 65, do not hold fish out of the water long than necessary, etc. But why should trout deserve preferential treatment over carp, bass, sunfish, or any other species? True, some fish are undoubtedly hardier than others. But just because trout have great colors and take flies we enjoying tying, does that make them more meaningful than any other species in the same waters?

Last edited:
I have no problem with any type of fishing as long as it’s legal and, more importantly, anglers carry out their trash. As for tightline nymphing, yes it‘s effective and may catch more fish than other methods of FF. I do it too, and my “best” fishing days have come using tightline nymphing. But that doesn’t mean I find it as interesting as trying to catch fish on traditional wet flies or throwing streamers.
I first learned to fly fish swinging wet flies and casting dry flies. Then a buddy showed me nymph fishing with a bobber… then 14 years ago my buddy’s buddy showed me Czech or tight line nymphing on Spring and it was so effective. Evolution…

Interesting that he mentions pro bass fishing in the same article, too. All those pro and amateur tournaments should have ended bass fishing from a conservation standpoint several decades and countless coats of metal flaked fiberglass ago. Jets getting access to places on the Suskie that boats used to not be able to reach, and so on, and so on. Ended smallie fishing, yeah? He just sounds like a mitch to me.... Aside from the fact that TU is responsible for a shite ton of stocking on the grass roots level, the publication addresses some real conservation issues for sure, but this is silly.
Yea he rights alot of stuff that comes off very “fishing police” waving a conservation flag and it never has to do with native trout species just the ones replacing them.

Its like do you need to criticize other anglers euro nymphing for THIS in a conservation magazine Kirk?
EE8744DE 3427 493C AA55 3D2AAAD30D2B

maybe he should write something about what we can do for this as the editor of a conservation organization’s magazine
A1BF0742 2AAE 4B25 9B27 E32021E4CE93

Its probably a sore subject for him because he has to acknowledge invasive species are fueling their declines.

TU on a national level does a lot for wild native fish, pebble mine, snake river fight ect. Its just that their mouth piece (Deeter) could care less about native fish and just wants to police fishing techniques for invasive species in tailwaters/spring creeks and tell native fish conservationists their “virtue signaling” for trying to prevent extinctions ironically. If your fishing ethically who gives two you know whats

Last edited:
Something tells me Kirk Deeter, regardless of his good intentions (I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt), does not have the same concerns about catching “too many” fallfish or sunfish or smallmouth as he does trout. You cannot promote a blood sport (which TU and every other angling organization does) and then legitimately complain when anglers follow the rules and actually catch fish.

Back