Sunglasses anyone

Costa Del Mar.. That is all.

I have been wearing Maui Jim glasses for many years. I have the standard amber lens and can really see into the water, cutting glare very well. All MJ lenses are polarized and I can wear them all the way to dark. They weigh almost nothing and are more durable than they appear.
I often suffer from eye fatigue when wearing sun glasses and with the Maui Jim glasses my eyes don't feel strained after wearing them for hours.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing~d~14/

Worth checking out for glasses and other equipment. GG

I love my Costa's...... Wish I had a second pair with a lighter lens.

Due to eye problems, I wear my Maui Jims any time I am outside. Rain, snow, or sunshine. I even need to keep a back up pair handy in case of problems. The only thing that has damaged my last pair (I had for 6 years) was at Christmas time my wife accidently dropped a large serving plate on them. Needless to say that pair did not survive. Quality lens are a must for anyone with eye issues.

At the NJ Flyfishing Show there was a company that makes customized sun glasses with your prescription. They gave me a quote of $385.00. I felt it was a bit high. If I'm going to spend that much I want them to be Polorized and change with the sunlight.

I am due for some new prescriptions - so who has the best offers out there?

Most of the reputable companies will do Rx polarized glasses. Including Costa.

You're probably out of luck for $20 polarized cheapies, though.

SteelerFan,

what did you do that made the wife "accidentally" smash a large serving plate on your face?

Not a thing! It was just an accident and she did not complain one bit when I went out the next day for a replacement pair.

I'd bet she will have a great valentines Day. GG

I had a nice pair of Maui Jims for a little over a year. A lense broke were it attached to the frame. It was a poor design. the place I bought the wouldn't do anything because the warranty expired. I'll won't buy another pair.

Contact the company, I believe Maui Jims have a 2 year warranty.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never dropped more than $15-$18 on a pair of shades. I went to store where the lady almost hooked me on Maui Jims. I thought she told me the warranty was in excess of 3 years. I'd check on that.

I ended up going with Smith Optics polarchromic lenses (polarized transitions). Glass lens. Wore them twice and t I'm going to say they are far nicer than the $15 pairs. Definitely put together better. I'll probably get another pair shortly as back ups. I got the copper which was close to most other manufacturers amber. With Smiths, their amber is greenish and their brown is probably what most call amber.

Just checked their website and it is 2 year warranty to the original owner.

I was talking to a fly-fishing pro at Gander Mountain (is that an oxy-moron?) and he said he believes there's a big difference between cheap and quality fishing sunglasses, but it's more common sense than anything.

For example, he said glass lenses are always better than plastic, since glass has better properties for polarization and are typically more durable (if the glass is well-made). Second, polarized sunglasses should be less about style and more about function, therefore the sides of them should be thicker and have additional polarized panels to prevent sunlight from seeping in along the sides. They don't look cool, but they prevent most of the light from entering around your eyes. What good is removing glare coming perpendicular to your eyes if it's coming in from the sides? Third, the frame and hardware are almost always better on high-end glasses, which means they can take more of a beating.

Again, most of this is common sense, and explains the higher cost. I've seen some comments about losing or breaking them, which is my big problem. I stopped buying expensive pairs a long time ago for that very reason. I bought a pair of Berkley polarized UV protection fishing sunglasses at Walmart and also bought a nice adjustable strap to keep me from dropping them into the stream (I sweat a lot and that makes glasses slip on my face). Cost me a total of $28, and with the depth of the streams I'll be fishing, these will work just fine (already tested them while scouting). :)

I think Spy is one brand they sell that's highly rated.

theres is more profit to be made on what is labeled "High End" thus thoses glasses will always be pushed more.

Interesting: how does swearing make glasses slip off our face? Maybe swinging your head from side to side as you swear because you lost a fish would seam more logical. I have not experienced that yet :)

I wear Reflekt Polarized Pulse sunglasses glasses with their Reactor lenses when I fish (you get one brown set and one gray set included). They're a good, Pennsylvania-based company that offers not only very nice polarized glasses, but a breakage/loss replacement warranty that can be used once per purchase for a small processing fee. I used it when I lost my first pair fishing a reservoir in northern Nevada and they got me a new pair quickly.

https://reflektpolarized.com/

https://reflektpolarized.com/warranty

Glass is naturally better for optics and polarization than poly. And it's more durable in terms of scratch resistance. Less durable in terms of breakage/shatter, hence glass lenses are usually fully enclosed rather than having the bottom of the lens exposed like many poly lenses. And heavier, although the modern better glass lenses are usually pretty thin as to not be overly heavy.

Regarding polarization, poly varies a lot depending on how it's done, but at it's best, is probably still inferior to glass in that respect.

That said, these are sunglasses. With optics and polarization, there reaches a point when you are "good enough" and any differences beyond that are in the realm of scientific testing, and probably not noticable by your average human being. Perfect optics becomes much more important when magnification enters the discussion, in things like telescopes, cameras, binoculars, and rifle scopes.

I've been wearing a pair of Optic Nerve glasses for over 10 years. I have 5 pairs of them, used for everything from skiing, to riding my motorcycle, to 2 polarized pair for fly fishing (though one pair is huge on my head & I should put them on the swap page).
They're a good company that doesn't advertise like Oakley. I do believe from the several pair friends have had, they they are comparable to Oakley's.
www.opticnerve.com

I bought a set of Costa Del Mar for a good price at a Boater's World that was going out of business to see what a "quality" pair of optics would do. The biggest thing I noticed was that they reduce the glare from the sun hitting the inside of the lens ie. the sun at your side or back. A wave took them from me in the surf, so I purchased a set of L.L. Bean's (lifetime warranty) with copper lenses. These are my favorite so far. They seemed too bright on bright days but at the end of a day of full sun fishing I notice no eye strain. On overcast days they brighten things up. The copper color seems to me to be the best color for contrast and allows me to see the fish better. I took 4 pairs of glasses to the stream with me, grey, yellow, brown and copper and I could see the fish in the stream best with the copper lenses.

Back