Sunglasses anyone

No, I took my cheap pair from here. :) Just found it interesting. They are a little more plugged into the supply chain of things. Well, at least the business guys were, I guess it's probably more about the type of people I was with more than the fact that they were Swiss.

csoult wrote:

Went with the brown lens.
Does color mean anything when sight fishing for trout?

I ask because I may be in the market for a new pair (been researching) and there are a variety of color lenses to choose from.

Alot depends on the lighting. Bright sun - darker the shades - amber works good for early morning and late evening and even overcasted days. Some colors will highlight the colors of the fish, or background making the fish easier to detect. Alot of it is personal choice, and what looks cool on ya.

I mainly use mine to see the creekchannels and watch where I'm steping. Normally if I can see the fish - the fish can see me as well. So once I come upon a fish, I'll back downstream out of their line of sight.

I have my first pair of copper lenses. They're great in the light I fish in, even early, overcast mornings just after dawn.

After always wearing cheapies, I broke down and recently bought my first pair of Costa's. 580 glass lenses, copper with green mirror. $239, but I paid far less personally, which is the only reason I bought them. Employer gave me most of it. I had accumulated "spot reward" points for various jobs supposedly well done. There's an online system where you can redeem them for crappy stuff. Well, I found out you can actually redeem them for gift certificates for some places, including Cabelas. So I got a gift certificate but really wasn't in "need" of anything particular, so I pitched in a few extra bucks and got these. That's how I justified spending that much, anyway.

My old $20 Walmart cheapies (Calcutta brand) were plastic lenses, but also amber/copper colored and polarized, 100% UVA/UVB protection and all that jazz. Have to agree amber/copper is the best color for the fishing I do. Better contrast for seeing fish and underwater structure. They do seem bright in the daytime, but get under a tight canopy or right at dark and no pair of sunglasses will be bright enough, you just take them off when needed.

I've been wearing the Costa's for about a week now. Better? Yeah. I've compared them to my cheapies and they are a touch clearer, and they do have a little tighter polarization. I like them and will wear them.

But ultimately, it's $200 more, for a slightly better pair of sunglasses. If it didn't feel so much cheaper due to the gift certificate thing, I wouldn't buy them.

Make sure you have a pair of croakies on them Pat. I never lose a cheapo pair, but give me 20 minutes with a decent pair of shades and they're getting stuck on a branch and pulled off my head when I'm brush busting and don't notice, or floating down a Lehigh River trib, or flying off my tonneau cover (Note: the croakies won't save you from that one)...and those are the deaths of just the last 3 pairs!

PCray, Just don't drop them anywhere....Sunglasses are difficult to find if you don't notice them gone right away. I won't spend that much on sunglasses either just for that reason. Got me a couple of cocoons that do the trick for me at around $35.00

Yeah, I still have the cheapies, which will likely accompany me to the "rougher" fishing adventures. The Costa's will be everyday use, driving, and fishing bigger water. Trying to train myself into putting them into their case instead of tossing them on the seat next to me. And between taking care of them and them being glass, I hope they don't scratch as quickly as most of my glasses.

I did get a croakie. It's an adjustment but I think I can do it.

Also a little worried about glass fogging up when the weather gets cold. But in the summer here it's fine.

To be clear, amber polarized glasses do make the world look freakin awesome. Like HD. But cheapie amber polarized glasses did too. These are just a touch more awesome. IMO, not $200 more awesome, but that's up to the individual I suppose.

I haven't been fishing in them yet but did check glare reduction on a pond and on car hoods. I was real curious on how much of an improvement they'd be over the old glasses. Had em both on my face, flipped up and down between them. Costa's were better at glare reduction. But overall it's just "tighter". If I tilt my head even just a little bit it's like whoa, glare comes back full force. So, great, if you are looking at a horizontal surface and you hold your head straight.

With the old ones, at max, the glare reduction isn't quite as much, but they offer some glare reduction at greater angles. You lose it more gradually as you tilt more, and you still get some effect until your head is full sideways.

The Costa's are tight enough that ripples look noticably weird, as that little angle is enough to change from awesome polarization to virtually no polarization.

for all your RX anglers reading this - Just about any Optical Lab can provide a polarized lens in a variety of lens tints (colors), coatings etc.... I use my local Sams club - based on $$. I wear a strong RX single vision lens for fishing. I used to only wear a polarized wrap style frame/lens but since my RX in very strong now its causes blur and distortion issues with most wrap style frames.

My local Sams Club optical has a variety of lens tints and coatings. I find their poly polarized brown lens is what i like best for river fishing and driving. It doesn't block as much visible light as their grey polarize lens so i can wear it all day from sun up until its time to take them off. I have even had them make replacement poly polarized lenses for my favorite fishing frames. They have a good warranty and replacement policy.

If you have an old pair of glasses with a lot of little scratches on them from cleaning and what not. Try putting a coat or two of good quality car wax on them. Brings them back to all but brand new.

I like the idea of the car wax treatment, I don't know if I'm willing to risk my Oakleys on the process.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I like the idea of the car wax treatment, I don't know if I'm willing to risk my Oakleys on the process.

I have a pair of Costas that were all but unusable so I gave it a shot. Very glad I did.

I'm gonna send them back for new lenses soon anyway, so I had nothing to lose. There was no harm to the glasses.

I recently purchased amber lenses for my polarized Oakley Gascan's. The glasses originally came with gray lenses. I left one gray lens in and replaced the other with one of the amber lenses. I fished 2 different streams within the past week and compared water clarity with both colored lenses. The amber definitely out performed the grey in every circumstance.

For Military personnel, you can get discounted Oakley sunglasses at https://www.oakleysi.com/. I think emergency personnel like EMT's and firefighters can get the discount as well. My Gascan's costed less than $100 and the replacement amber lenses cost under $50. Easier to justify spending the money when you get roughly a 50% discount.

I wear Smith Optics, polar chromatic glass lenses and they are unbelievable. I highly recommend.

American Angler magazine has an article in the September/October edition that addresses all of the options for sunglasses. The amber/copper color are the best for light blocking.

i bought some copper glasses based on that article.

I usually buy flying fisherman amber glasses for around $20. these are Hobie and were around $35 on sale on eBay.

they are better but the old FF were pretty good.

i left my last pair of FF on Valley Creek

thanks for the link.i seen prato brand at the fly fishing show in nj recently,and was about to pull the trigger.i like the ones you showed me too.thanks

I like Coata, but they're overpriced.

Agreed,

Now having a little more use out of mine. Yes, they are better. The polarization is better, the clarity is better, contrast is better, etc. Now, I have a glass lensed version. It may be that this is just the first glass lensed sunglasses I've ever had, and I can't speak for Costa's plastic lenses.

But I'm not sure that they're $200+ better if you get my drift. Just not sure that objectively, ANY sunglasses are worth that.

It seems that despite my reluctance to become a walking catalog, I now have a whole bunch of super high end equipment. Simms guide boots, G3 waders, costa glasses, a top end bamboo rod. My god, what have I become!!! A fool and his money....

Ive been spoiled by Costa's and probably won't ever wear anything else but I also refuse to pay full price for them. Steepandcheap puts them up pretty regularly. Just picked up a pair on there for my fiance, $65.

Back