Success With Toothy Critters - 2017

For the most likely opportunities for a shore based fly angler to put a fly over a Mky or T Mky in SE Pa....Mouth of Tulpehocken Ck, stilling basin immediately below Blue Marsh, Marsh Creek Lake and tailrace, Nockamixon Lake and tailrace, and 30 acre Kaercher Creek Dam on the eastern edge of Hamburg. Lake Marburg produces big fish...Tigers, Pures, and Northerns...but abundance is unknown at the moment . It is.soon to be surveyed, however, specifically for Esoscids.

Mike wrote:
Lake Marburg produces big fish...Tigers, Pures, and Northerns...but abundance is unknown at the moment . It is.soon to be surveyed, however, specifically for Esoscids.

Excellent!
Please keep us informed of results for Marburg.

Mike wrote:
Lake Marburg produces big fish...Tigers, Pures, and Northerns...but abundance is unknown at the moment . It is.soon to be surveyed, however, specifically for Esoscids.

I see very few pictures of Northerns from Marburg, but know they're in there. Plenty of musky pictures show up on a regular basis though. Not sure if there are many "Lee Snyder" category fish left, but the lake seems to be supporting a healthy toothy population!

wgmiller wrote:
I see very few pictures of Northerns from Marburg, but know they're in there. Plenty of musky pictures show up on a regular basis though. Not sure if there are many "Lee Snyder" category fish left, but the lake seems to be supporting a healthy toothy population!

Agree. I think there is reason for optimism about the survey results, especially since the heavy stockings of recent years.

I've caught pike in the mid thirties in Marburg myself and have seen larger ones in the early spring. Ice fishermen used to get some really nice northerns in the upper 30s and perhaps some fish in the 40" range.

It's got the depth, cold temps, and a massive forage base to grow big pike and muskies.

There are still plenty of large fish in Marburg its just a hard lake to fish for them due to water clarity and forage. There was a 50.5"/40lb+ fish to come out last year along with a 40"+/20lb pike this year and a 45" tiger. Not sure it will ever be a numbers lake for musky like some of the other lakes in PA but I think the survey will reveal there is a healthy population.

The pike seem to be few and far between compared to the muskys.

Hopefully this is the year. Got a Jon boat w/ motor last fall. Should have a trolling motor shortly for those electric motor only lakes. Somerset just ate into that fund though.

If anyone is interested in fishing Nox, or marsh creek give me a shout.

Boss,

We fish those two lakes in my buddy's boat, well them more than me usually since they hit them during the week a lot. Let me know when you go out again.

I'll be in touch with you guys. Always looking for more people to fish with. If the winter continues like this I'll be starting to go out sooner than later.

Count me in too Boss. It's a bit of a drive for me, but doable for a day trip. I'd vote for early springtime, sometime in March or April.

When it comes time to organize such a trip, it would probably be best to start a separate thread (or send PMs, if you'd prefer). If you'd care to, you could even announce a muskie jam (which should be in the Events forum). I've always thought a toothy jam would be fun.

Anyway, give it some thought - whatever you want to do.

I'd be up for a musky jam too but doing so on those lakes, especially marsh, would be pretty tough on a weekend. Marsh gets really busy and is relatively small. Nock is certainly bigger but can get a lot of boat traffic. If there was any way to do a mid-week jam, that would really make both of those lakes an option with much less boat traffic. And in Nock you have the shot at accidently hooking a striper.

I'd be in for a Jam as well, we'd just need enough interest and enough boats. I"d be willing to travel a bit further for a Jam. Nox and marsh creek are both about 45 minutes from me, so day trips are no big deal.

Dave if your interested in a day trip I'll keep you in the loop when we get closer to march-april.

Boss where are you located? The Susqy is is a viable option as well as a few other lakes in the SE region.

I'm down..I gotta boat...susky sounds good...I'll take CLS and flyflinger

Boss what did you mean somerset just ate into that fund? You hangout around here?

somersetian wrote:
Boss what did you mean somerset just ate into that fund? You hangout around here?

In referring to "Somerset" he was probably referring to spending at the recent FF show in Somerset NJ.

Ic. I was just wandering because I don't know or see anyone fly fishing lakes or any warm water species around here ever. People tell me sometimes theres no trout in the lake when they see me setting up my fly rods.

Musky on the Susky Jam. Let's do it.

I will organize it. Give me a few suggestions on a campground and a good time of year and I will lock it in.

I know one place called Endless Mountain Campground in Laceyville off of Route 6. I am not sure how the musky fishing is there though.

Endless Mtn. Campground

Back