Success With Toothy Critters - 2017

CLSports wrote:
Musky on the Susky Jam. Let's do it.

I will organize it. Give me a few suggestions on a campground and a good time of year and I will lock it in.

I know one place called Endless Mountain Campground in Laceyville off of Route 6. I am not sure how the musky fishing is there though.

Endless Mtn. Campground

Kudos CLSports.
A toothy jam is a great idea!

From what I can see, the campground linked to looks ideal. I think it is pretty far up in NEPA and a bit out of the way for many of us. Perhaps a spot closer to center state might be more accessible? I'm not trying to nit-pick, just pondering options.

Anyway, the first thing to do is start a separate thread in the Events forum for for a muskie jam. Since you are the organizer (CLSports) you get to pick the date/location. Some additional things to consider: will this be a float trip? If so, where are the start and end points? Will it be a one day or overnight affair (we did a WW jam on the North Branch a few years ago and had a campsite). What about wading anglers who don't have access to a boat?

Finally, since no single place or date will work for everyone, I recommend you pick the place/date yourself, announce it, and those who will attend, will attend. Trying to find a date/location that works for everyone is something of a hopeless effort and will generate page after page of commentary and, in the end, you will have to pick the place/date anyway. Better to do this early.

All good suggestions Dave. I will definitely pick the place and time and set it in stone with a post in the Events section once I get a few ideas from this post.

I envision a boat trip, but not necessarily have a put-in/take-out location. I hope to get enough people with motorized boats going so we don't need to have different access locations, but it could still happen that way. I will plan that as well if people want to drift in other boat types or kayaks.

Wade people are welcome of course.

I have organized many many float trips on the Delaware river over the years with my family and friends, so I am familiar with the logistics of such an event.

Lets get a location nailed down 1st.

I will do it in the late fall of this year. (my executive decision)

Bosshog wrote:
Hopefully this is the year. Got a Jon boat w/ motor last fall. Should have a trolling motor shortly for those electric motor only lakes. Somerset just ate into that fund though.

If anyone is interested in fishing Nox, or marsh creek give me a shout.

Nock is pretty much in my back yard (Perkasie/Blooming Glen area). I may be a relative new-be but I'd love to get a little hands-on learning from some folks who know what's what!

Very interested in a Musky Jam. Have an aluminum flat bottom jon boat, with 20hp merc, and will have a trolling motor soon.

I'd love to see what direction this idea takes off in. A musky jam has bin mentioned before but never pulled off.

Got a couple small pike to start knocking the rust off.
072A843E-5143-454C-86A7-BD1EACF3EBCC_zpsdxyxc6nr.jpg

There are several campgrounds along the river on Route 15. I have heard good things about the water from Williamsport down to Sunbury but don't really know much about the water from Sunbury downriver to Harrisburg. Most of the campgrounds I'm thinking about are closer to Harrisburg so if that is good musky water, might be a good place to do this jam. Plus the J isn't too far and I've heard good things about it too.

Paco. It has never happened before because I was never involved. It will happen.

Nice pike Paco - way to start off the toothy season.

With the lack of ice this year (so far) I'd guess that it isn't too early to check some eddies and coves for pike right about now.

CLSports, please check your PM.

I'm definitely following this, count me in

Hoping to catch my first Muskie and Pike this year. I've never targeted them before, but lately I've started learning more about them and want to get in on this! If anyone from the Pittsburgh area (I live in the Wexford area) has any info to share, let me know. I'm totally green with regard to these species and this type of fishing so I'm looking for ideas on where to target them and how!

stal42 wrote:
... so I'm looking for ideas on where to target them and how!

If you haven't already done so, take some time to read through the many muskie threads here on PAFF. There's a lot of info to be found.

Hey.. whered my post go?..seriously?...

Regarding the planned muskie jam, there will soon be a thread in Events dealing with this. Please hold your thoughts on the jam until that thread is up and provide your commentery there. For a variety of reasons, it is best to locate jam commentary in the appropriate forum.
Thanks,
DW

First toothy of the year

EBE28B14-FE61-4A47-AE80-DB273331DB6C_zpslncsume9.png

Nice snake-head Fred. That is if can call a snake-head nice. Habitat kind of reminds me of south east Asia. Nevertheless still a good score & maybe a 1st on PAFF.
Larry

Thanks Larry, its my second one so far. Yeah allot of people have negative views on this fish but they are here to stay so go out and enjoy them .

Larry wrote:
Nice snake-head Fred. That is if can call a snake-head nice. Habitat kind of reminds me of south east Asia. Nevertheless still a good score & maybe a 1st on PAFF.
Larry

Fred
Carp ain't any prettier then a snake-head. But carp don't have any teeth.

Pretty or not, you should be commend for your efforts going after a new species and scoring with 2 in a short time.

Thanks , yeah snaking isn't easy but it is very rewarding
Larry wrote:
Fred
Carp ain't any prettier then a snake-head. But carp don't have any teeth.

Pretty or not, you should be commend for your efforts going after a new species and scoring with 2 in a short time.

Back