Stuffing Nine Foot Rods In A Prius

EcoDog

EcoDog

When Wifey's Prius is the only vehicle available for a trout trip...

77A35118 B2AA 41BE 8666 89B6F07D0F1C 1 105 c

Seriously, I just wanted to try out the new platform's ease of posting pics. Great job guys!!

looks like my old Celica hatchback method. I won;t buy a car unless a 9ft will fit.

I transport them in 2 pieces. Fly on the end and tighten the line. Then again, I'm very accident prone.

Very, very, very infrequently I used to leave my rods rigged, but separated enough to lay on a back seat. However, once a bunch of deer ran in front of me and everything ended up on the floor. Nothing got damaged but that cured me of the practice.

I guess I get the "gotta be able to jump out of the car and be on the water in two seconds thing," but to me fishing isn't a race so taking a few seconds to string up my rod gives me time to have another beer. ;)

I have hooked many a seat this way. Still do it anyway 😂

My buddy had a Westfalia. When moving up and down the river he'd tuck the reel just under his wipers and let the rod lie on the windshield pointing upward. Looked like a caterpillar with big antennas going down the road.

I guess I get the "gotta be able to jump out of the car and be on the water in two seconds thing," but to me fishing isn't a race so taking a few seconds to string up my rod gives me time to have another beer. ;)
How old are your kids, if you have em?

Thanks for the chuckle! I actually brought a 10' 1-piece surf rod to a Subaru dealer about 4 years ago to make sure it would fit in an Impreza wagon. It did, as did my 10' fly rods. I inherited an older model Outback since then that fits a 10'6", but at least I know if I have to take my wife's car (the Impreza) for the day, it'll do (y) I know the old reels in the trunk, rods through the back seat flipped down works on some older model sedans too!

My buddy had a Westfalia. When moving up and down the river he'd tuck the reel just under his wipers and let the rod lie on the windshield pointing upward. Looked like a caterpillar with big antennas going down the road.
When we fished on water that had dirt roads connecting stretches we'd put the rods under the wipers also. Never had a problem unless I forgot to bring them back to the campsite and the wind would blow them sideways at night. Who knew wipers weren't the ideal rod holder...

Prius? Every time I'm on a freeway and get to the on ramp......the only obstacle to me reaching the speed limit is a Prius in front of me.

Man.....I despise those vehicles!! (Maybe not the owners.......but that depends!!)

Before they came out with graphite rods, I was informed never leave a rod in a bent shape. I think with today's rods you can do that without any problems. I normally leave mine parted in half in the back seat of my car or trunk.

It's really not a good idea to do it with any rod because the resins in the scrim CAN take a set if is left that way too long, especially in a hot car.

The other reason is you are already stressing the tip by keeping it flexed. If you accidentally snag the line, you are more likely to force it past the point of no return and have a break than if it was straight and not flexed.

I actually saw someone break a spinning rod this way which gave me a chuckle because I never understood the practice.

Back