Strike Indicator

Right, so when he's done playing to win in organized sports, should he never toss a football in the backyard to relax again?

JackM, your right I have never tried to simulate a hatch. Sounds like you would get alot of casting practice though! LOL

Code:
Is fly fishing a sport?

That guy is absolutely right! Every time I catch a fish, I slap it, spit in its face and scream "I got you muthaf****er!!!!"

I'm in it to win it.

Ha.

Maybe someone has these cool stickers on their truck. hehehe

Attachments

• Fear-No-Fish-Black-Clear.jpg
    Fear-No-Fish-Black-Clear.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 8
WildTigerTrout wrote:
JackM, your right I have never tried to simulate a hatch. Sounds like you would get alot of casting practice though! LOL

I ask you, is knitting a blanket just a lot of stitching practice? I think not!

They were who they thought they were.

jdaddy wrote:
She is clearly coming from a competitive fishing mindset, so it really does not apply to you Jerry.

It's not a mind set, I fish what I have been exposed to as far as techniques, etc. I doubt anyone on this site doesn't fish what they are exposed to. I do use indicators just different ones and I do not count on feeling my nymph always bounce off of the bottom as with a dry dropper. I do not exclusively dry fly fish because I just can't follow a dry fly vision wise. I admire those who can and I do not deny them their pleasure. I do not like hearing that someone is forced to nymph..And no offense personally to anyone just the mindset....but no one is forced to nymph. You can fish wets and streamers, neither of which I have mastered but I am working on them as well as dry terristrials which I can see a little better on the water with foam and such. I do fish to catch fish, I don't care how many. I also enjoy the day away from work if I catch nothing. I also know if I never caught a fish I just plan wouldn't do it. I don't see a point to throw string in a mud puddle for a trout. I enjoy catching fish while fishing. Sort of breaks things up don't you think? I also do not think there is a problem with extending your knowledge and trying a multitude of different things, not to say that a comfort zone isn't a good place to be for awhile. My point which is never made very well is for you beginners, just don't stay in your comfort zones forever. You will miss so much.

If anyone wants to enter the old debate of bad people competitive fly fishing we can move this else where. I'm not always against some of the nega.. never mind. It is always interesting. Like people that told me I was a bad Mom for letting my sons for reading Harry Potter when the parents were told it was bad and didn't read the book for themselves. I read the books. They were OK. Angels and Demons was pretty good. The movie sucked! Anybody with a good book to read? I like mysteries, detective stuff added Sci Fi makes it better. No vampire stuff.

So as not to offend any longer, I foreswear the use of the expression of being "forced" to nymph and will instead only suggest that I am "resorting" to nymphing on occasion.

Jack, I will say it then, "I am FORCED to nymph sometimes, in certain situations." I nymph fish 90% of the time anyway, but if I want to consistantly catch fish, I am forced to nymph. I know how to fish dries, and how to fish streamers, it doesn't make me any less experienced or knowledgeable to say that I am forced to nymph. Just like you enjoy fishing dries, I enjoy fishing nymphs. I am forcing myself to use nymphs, to catch fish (because catching fish is what makes me happy and helps me enjoy my time on the water even more). Most guys that fish in competitions are also forced to nymph, if they want to stay competitve. When was the last time you heard about some great dry fly or streamer that came from competition flyfishers? Being forced to do something does not always constitute said action as being negative, right? I was forced to eat vegetables growing up as a child, while at the time I thought it was bad it wasn't. Sometimes, if I am catching a lot of fish while nymphing I will force myself to put a dry on, just for practice. Forcing yourself to do or use certain techniques is not a bad thing, IMO. I really get annoyed by the whole "dry fly snob" and "this or that snob" type of attitude with flyfishing, how about "nymph snob", or even "streamer snob", while we are at it? We are all out there to enjoy ourselves in whatever way we se fit. I could honestly care less what someone thinks of my fishing style or myself, I'm usually the guy fishing nymphs or streamers during a Coffin Fly spinner fall. I may rag on people about fishing only dries, but I would never say that they are less of a fisherman or less experienced/knowledgable than myself.

TUNA wrote:
or even "streamer snob", while we are at it?

LOL, that's me! :-D

Boyer

JackM wrote:
So as not to offend any longer, I foreswear the use of the expression of being "forced" to nymph and will instead only suggest that I am "resorting" to nymphing on occasion.

Thank You Jack!

Forced is when you do something you'd rather not do, but with fishing you can just go home. Forced to mow the grass pretty much stinks and laundry but fishing should always be good.

I might be forced to fish with binoculars to see those little specks you fish with one day. Then we can do this again. :)

gfen wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
She is clearly coming from a competitive fishing mindset, so it really does not apply to you Jerry.

Actually, alot of the Other Side is coming from a competitive mindset here.. Wet's perspective isn't competitive, its organized competitive sports.

Hers is actually more understandable to me, even if I think its missing "the point*," I understand that she operates on a level of an organized sport where its out to win it, and her kid's fishing is geared towards that goal, then surely hers would be, too.

Others', though, are every bit as competitive, they're just not out to win a game.

* - The point is nebulous. There is no cake. The cake is a lie.

This is probably worse then being forced to nymph. You do not know my son. I can tell you even though he compete's I am competitive. You can derive what I'm about all that you want to from my over the top sometime posts to my hissie fits. But since you don't know him, I respectfully ask you to read the book before you make preconceived opinions on my son. Why he does what he does and all of the win the game reasons you think that makes him fish or why he competes. I know no one will ever believe me but winning isn't where it's at for him. It is the whole experience of fine tuning skills and putting yourself out there to catch fish you never thought you'd ever catch. It's the friends he's met from the US and other countries. It takes him weeks or months to even talk about anything, then you hear the stories about a drive in a car in 2nd gear or a lost rod involving the police and a scrappy old guy with a memory like a vise. That's the point of my hold post. All of it.

Try something new for the experience of it. Try it out good, give it a good go. If it's not for you then let it pass by and try something else.

:)

wetnet wrote:
(rant)

Your children are of no concern to me. What they do and how they do it is of so little consequence as long as they don't do it on my yard.

However, as a member of an competive, organized sporting league I can only assume he's, y'know, competing to win. If he's just showing up to meet people and travel the world, Acristic's got some videos he should consider watching.

Re: Strike Indicator

Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
(rant)

Your children are of no concern to me. What they do and how they do it is of so little consequence as long as they don't do it on my yard.

However, as a member of an competive, organized sporting league I can only assume he's, y'know, competing to win. If he's just showing up to meet people and travel the world, Acristic's got some videos he should consider watching.

When you fish as a member of the US Fly fishing team you are one of 5 and one of you will be 5th no matter what. Someone will be # 5. It will happen again and again. The #5 guy. In tryouts the guy there will always be the guy that barely makes the team. You do win huge prizes. Millions $$$$. ? I did meet someone that was all about the win once. He is a great angler no doubt but he missed everything else that was out there. I'll leave it at that.

I have a boy, now a man that has always fished. He also played orgainized sports baseball and soccer. One day after an All Star game the best game of his life, a grand Slam, a triple and as a catcher multiple throw outs to 2nd and 3rd...threw his glove in the car after a huge handshake from the ump and said he was done. He went home and picked up his fly rod and has not put it down since. He has friends that fish but they didn't fly fish and when he caught fish and they didn't they didn't want to fish with him or asked if he was bringing that rod. Life is that way sometimes.

So you have a child that excels at something with no outlet to feed the need to learn. His Mom not knowing anything found him an outlet which turned out to be the best thing in his life.

Sorry about the backyard thing. I would think you'd like to have a young guy who is in an enviromental major and has a basic common sense attitude to be there if some slop is flowing across your yard.

About the friends, they still fish together. They can use a fly rod much better now with some help. They also ice fish, bass fish and just sometimes I think let their lines lay in the water.

I know i'm jumping in late on this one but the "DRY FLY SNOB" caught my eye and i felt compelled to comment. I like to dry fly fish , more than any other method , it seems to me to be the ultimate in the fly fishing experience , nothing else comes close , you move upstream watching the water ahead of you , even have a seat on a rock below a promising piece of water and just watch , soon , there it is a rise , but wait , let the trout rise a few times to let yourself be sure it is feeding and probably more interested in feeding than looking for you , move in from below and behind , not too close , close enough , check your backcast , lob the first cast below and a little to the side , set it down easy so as not to spook , the trout turns but doesn't take , thrilling and more fun than any other method , put the second cast above and off to the side , the trout actually backs up and comes close to the fly , eyeing it up , in one motion it tilts back opens its mouth and takes the fly turning back to it's original position , IT"S ON!!!!!!! And it doesn't get any better than THAT!!!!! For me anyhow.

The dry fly rebutal was after the comment about being forced to nymph. No offense to you or Jack. I say you can love a technique, but there are some that love to explore all of them and fine tune them. It's not for everybody but I hate to see them knocked down. If they cared a bit about what people thought we wouldn't have all of the finest anglers today who write books and share what they learn. We can pick and chose what we want to use but it is all out there. An amazing cascade of possibilities. and I apologize. The topic was about indicators. Use them. I do but like everthing else, there are a ton of options. Explore them all. I explored the dry dropper and it is one I'll keep it as a permanent option. :-D

Osprey, very good post. I agree with you. I could'nt have said it any better myself. It's great when they are rising however as they say 80% to 90% of the time the trout are feeding subsurface so consequently I catch more trout subsurface. But I do love fishing those little size 24 Tricos on those hot and humid mornings in July and August. IMO you can't beat it.

Nor is it any less than to try to watch a thin strip of line, pause, swirl, go back upstream, get sucked down, whirl around again for the exact same moment you experience. I will never use dry fly and snob again. I get your world. I wish..I've got a dog with a balloon face. Darn bird dogs they bite bees. I've got to go.

wetnet, been there done that. I did it yesterday on Spring Creek. I must say that nymphing is effective and just as exciting IMO as dry fly fishing. Great feeling when you lift and see that flash and feel that weight of a good fish!

Back