Strike Indicator

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Mkern, I was going to respond back but you just said it all. How can catching trout be boring?!

Here, here, I've seen the light... From here on out, its skein and egg sacks.

After all, not catching is boring.

I don't know about you but I go flyfishing to catch trout! Yes I do get a little bored on the slow days. It's wonderful just being out there, but the main objective is to catch fish. Don't you agree? In my experience nymphing is the most effective way to do that. Just because you don't like it does'nt mean it is not effective! To be an effective flyfisher we must try to master all methods even the ones we are not good at. I don't care for streamer fishing but you can bet if I feel that's the method that will catch fish I will try it even though I don't really care for it. That's how we get better. I learned that from a flyfisher with nearly 50 years experience.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
the main objective is to catch fish. Don't you agree?

Nope.

Hodge36 wrote:
Can you use a regular bobber as a strike indicator?

IMO, using regular bobbers will be overkill in most trout fishing situations. I try to use the smallest indicator (if I use one) that will hold up the given the amount of shot/weight that I need to properly fish my nymphs.

I think that smaller indicators cause less disturbance when they land on the water, which is important for fishing low, clear water and/or spooky fish. I also think that it is easier to see the subtle changes in drift that often indicate strikes using smaller, yet highly visible indicators.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
...To be an effective flyfisher we must try to master all methods even the ones we are not good at...

This describes my own FF philosophy to a T...though your feelings on the matter may change over time, I would encourage others just getting into the sport to adopt this philoposhy as well :)

goodfortune, I learned that philosophy from a flyfisher with many more years experience than I. At first I disliked nymph fishing altogether but I kept at it and over time got more experience. I discovered it is the most effective method to catch trout. IMO you will catch more and bigger trout nymphing. When I learned to nymph fish correctly I caught MANY more fish! Tight Lines.

MKern wrote:
If you are really cheap you can make your own.

Take a 3" peice of yarn and cover with about an inch of thread in the middle. fold the yarn over itself and wrap, tying both ends together. Secure with fingernail polish.
Trim to desired height.

I used to make dozens of these for Hillie's using poly yarn.

I make mine with foam. I buy some O rings from Home Depot, and cut up some strips of foam, fold them through the O ring, and use some 210 thread to tie it up. Pretty easy and costs about 10-15 cents a piece. Yes I am that cheap.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Oh I forgot to add to the post I like white strike indicators! IMO they blend in with all the white foam and bubbles. Anyone agree?

I don't like white for that exact reason. If you're fishing in some very turbid water, it's tough to keep track of it sometimes.

I think that nymph fishing is more productive, but seeing a trout rise up and sip a dry, or better yet just smash it straight to heck...... that excitement will beat nymphing any day, IMO.

ant, I agree but I'll catch 5 or 6 nymphing to every one I catch on drys. I do have a soft spot for fishing the "Trico" hatches though . Just something neat about catching a trout on a size 24 dry!

Trico's are awesome, but whenever I try to work with one it seems like my fingers turn into thumbs.

Nothing like taking 5 minutes to tie on a fly and have my blood pressure through the roof.... :)

If it takes you five minutes to tie on a Trico it's still worth it. Funny that's the only fly I need my magnifiers for. Sometimes you feel like you really accomplished something just getting the fly tied on to the tippet. I have to use a magnifier to tie the flies too but it's worth it! Tight lines.

gfen wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:
the main objective is to catch fish. Don't you agree?

Nope.

Ok, I'll bite...what is the objective then, if catching fish is not?

To the original question, I have used BioStrike and the smaller thingamabobber, and I prefer the thingamabobber. They land much more softly, and are indicative of even the most subtle strike.

Now to circle back to the derailed version of the thread...

When I first started fly fishing, two years ago this summer, I started out fishing a warm water stream for sunfish, fallfish and little smallmouth. I took the opportunity to learn and refine my techniques, and I tried them all, including nymphing. Just like tying flies, you will get better by doing it, or watching someone that knows what they are doing.

While the challenges of nymphing for trout are different than when fishing dries, they still require skill at fooling the fish. The ultimate goal is to present some fur, feathers, etc. tied onto a hook, in a realistic enough manner to make a trout think it is a natural. I only fish wild trout streams, so I can't really speak to the challenges (or lack thereof) of fishing for stockers.

As I have fished for trout for going on two years now, there are skills a fisherman MUST have to nymph successfully. The size of the nymph must be appropriate to the naturals the trout are feeding on. The drift must be as free from drag as possible. The placement is the water column is critical. You must be aware of the typical holding areas for trout, then present the nymph to them properly.

I also know a few guys that guide who insist that in order to catch the bigger fish, you need to be able to get down deep to catch the bigger fish. As I have learned more and more about nymphing, my fish counts have increased significantly this season. For me, it's a few factors.

1. Finding a stretch of water that likely holds trout
2. Finding the proper depth where the fish are likely to hold
3. Working as much of the water as you possibly can

Last season, before fishing with my neighbor and friend who is a well-seasoned fly fisherman, I would have walked into the stream, worked a piece of water until I caught a fish, then moved on. After a few lessons from him, I have become a much more patient fisherman. I work the area nearest me, without trying to cover too much water, then take a step or two further into the area, work it some more, then take a few more steps and work closer to the bank. After I have fished that area, I will take a few steps downstream and repeat the steps. This has allowed me to take as many as 3 or 4 fish in an area where I would have moved on much more quickly in the past. I have fished the same area, with him no more than 30 feet from me, and we have both brought multiple fish to hand before moving on.

Gfen, do you dispute any of my comments about the techniques or challenges of nymphing? I have to admit, I haven't been on the board much lately, so I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, and my intention is not to call you out, but to maybe learn something from you.

BelAirSteve wrote:
Ok, I'll bite...what is the objective then, if catching fish is not?

Merriam-Webster wrote:
rec·re·a·tion noun \ˌre-krē-ˈā-shən\
Definition of RECREATION

: refreshment of strength and spirits after work; also : a means of refreshment or diversion

BelAirSteve wrote:
Gfen, do you dispute any of my comments about the techniques or challenges of nymphing?

Not sure, mostly because it went on and on about an uninteresting topic in what appeared to be great detail, and I didn't bother to read it.

I would like to add that there are many more "cheap" indicator options.

The first one I used was I bought a sticky-backed foam sheet froma craft store. I cut 1" x 1/2" strips and cut a knotch in the middle of both sides (this makes them easy to remove).
Counless indicators for 50 cents.

Another great cheap indi, is a small balloon. Blow it up streamside, maybe the size of an almond, trim the end, and attach to your leader using a false-knot (one that will disapear once the balloon is gone).
I don't have a link for it, but I'm sure it's on youtube.

Merriam-Webster wrote:
rec·re·a·tion noun \ˌre-krē-ˈā-shən\
Definition of RECREATION

: refreshment of strength and spirits after work; also : a means of refreshment or diversion

Gfen, why don't you just stand in the river without fishing then? Wouldn't it accomplish the same goal for you? Or just go for a walk near a body of water? If you are just there for recreation why not save the trouble of rigging up a rod and such, and just start your recreational fun even sooner? I personally think fising dries CAN be boring, but I didn't complain about it.

Main Topic: Over the weekend I was fishing the PA Lake Erie Tribs and came to a few realizations. I was fishing 20 Mile and was using the smallest Fish Pimp, in white, for my indie. I made several drifts through a nice pod of Steelies, and on each successive cast the fish would shift their position away from the path of the indie. I switched colors and got the same reactions, so, then, I decided to experiment more. I tried Thingamabobbers, in different sizes and colors, and got the same results. I tried a grey Floatmaster indie, same results. I tried poly-yarn, in white and bright green, and still got the same results. I decided to rebuild my leader, using hi-viz Stren in the middle as an indie, and the results finally changed. I started with 6 feet of 12 lb Maxima, knotted to 16" of 8 lb hi-viz Stren, then attached 3-5x (the streams were pretty low) tippet with a tippet ring. On the second drift with the same flies from earlier I hooked and landed a 28" 11 lb Steelhead. Indicator style, color, and shape do make a difference, and sometimes different situations call for different styles. That is why I will now always carry several different types, along with a few small sections of hi-viz Stren.

I didn't have any hi-viz Stren when I built my current leader, so I used florencent backing (about 5").

It only interferes with casting far distances (which I don't do while nymphing) and dries (which is why I bring a seperate dry fly leader and switch them out).

TUNA wrote:
I personally think fising dries CAN be boring, but I didn't complain about it.

Best review the postings, thus far. At no point have I made any comment stating one method is better than the other, only the one that's more engaging and the disagreement that if you're not catching, you're not enjoying.

why don't you just stand in the river without fishing then? Wouldn't it accomplish the same goal for you? Or just go for a walk near a body of water?

I do all the time, actually. Sometimes, simple observation is more enjoyable than all the flailing about.

MKern wrote:
I didn't have any hi-viz Stren when I built my current leader, so I used florencent backing (about 5").

Wrap it around a pencil, dowel, etc, and then use a sharpie to colour a thick line down one side of it. When you unwrap it, you'll have a set of barring, giving you better visibility of motions on the take.

Gfen, I also spend too much time observing when fishing. I had a fun time observing all the bait guys in Erie casting to spooked fish and then getting mad because the fish wouldn't take. It was kinda funny seeing 25 guys crowded into a 15' by 15' area trying to catch Steelies.

gfen wrote:
Wrap it around a pencil, dowel, etc, and then use a sharpie to colour a thick line down one side of it. When you unwrap it, you'll have a set of barring, giving you better visibility of motions on the take.

An authentic Crooked River sucker fishing tip. :lol:

My nymphing tip for you:

Nymphing is much easier with an unbroken rod.
banana093.gif

Back