Strike Indicator

Heritage-Angler wrote:
An authentic Crooked River sucker fishing tip. :lol:

And from an avowed nymph hater, at that!

I think Amnesia is better, though, and if yo hand-twist/furl it, it'll get even more light catching ability.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
My nymphing tip for you:
Nymphing is much easier with an unbroken rod.
banana093.gif

I was just making it a faster action rod for better response on setting the hook. I figured the quickest way to do so was to snap the first 3' off and get rid of that pesky tiptop.

No?

gfen wrote:
BelAirSteve wrote:
Ok, I'll bite...what is the objective then, if catching fish is not?

Merriam-Webster wrote:
rec·re·a·tion noun \ˌre-krē-ˈā-shən\
Definition of RECREATION

: refreshment of strength and spirits after work; also : a means of refreshment or diversion

BelAirSteve wrote:
Gfen, do you dispute any of my comments about the techniques or challenges of nymphing?

Not sure, mostly because it went on and on about an uninteresting topic in what appeared to be great detail, and I didn't bother to read it.

Cool...can't argue about the recreation aspect...For me, it's just plain quiet time, and relaxing and theraputic as well.

Regarding the "went on and on about an uninteresting topic" comment, keep in mind that this is the beginner forum, and my intention was to give some insight to beginners that read the forum.

Tight lines to you my friend.

ant wrote:
You can if you don't mind people laughing at you. :) I use thingamabobbers to float nymphs and the end of my line as an indicator any other time.

I'm sure there isn't a pic on the smiley face list to express my reaction to this comment.

This is a beginner forum so with that I think you need to not worry about what people think, but it would be good to think about what the thingamaboobers do. They float a nymph. Anyway you can reproduce that action is good..no matter how much anyone laughs at what you use to do it.

As far as "You can as long as.." I do believe most of the United States Fly Fishing team members make their own versions of nymph floating thingamaoobers. One is a Dry dropper, another is a curly indicator with floatant added. Believe me there are more and they do create their own.

If we were not inventive and some being not afraid of laughter, nothing would have ever been invented. So my advice to you is try out everything and let them laugh.

With that does anyone have some idea for a device to squish the water out of tuna in a can, without getting your hands all smelly...you'd be famous. :-D

With that does anyone have some idea for a device to squish the water out of tuna in a can, without getting your hands all smelly...you'd be famous.

Attachments

• tuna.jpg
    tuna.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 7
Ha! Ha! Still looks like it gives you fishy fingers, which for me doesn't seem to be a problem. :-D Can you find me a product to pick up stinky socks? I did see a commercial for a matress cover that absorbs the smell of gas. I'm not sure how effective it is for side-sleepers.

Sorry off topic, back to the subject...you absolutely do not have to spend money and you can be cheap making your own thingambobbers. 12 inches of gold stren wrapped around a pencil, boiled for 5 minutes and shoved into a freezer..spray it with a little floatant, you've got somethingr better than a thingambobber..you've got a floating in line indicator. Or just use a big ol Grey Whulff or a parachute ant as your thingambobber. Twice the chance to get a hit. It's all good, really. Change it up and have some fun.

i use the trout magnet bobbers. I get picked on by some of my friends for them but they work and arent too bad to cast. They dont have the longest live span however.

I haven't really read throught this topic but I personally prefer the little sticker jobbies that fold around you leader. They are just simple.

They come in a little zip lock and you just peal them off the backing like a postage stamp (newer stamps).

I stick mine up the leader where it is a little thicker maybe 1 to 1.5 ft. dowm from the fly line. When I take one off I can easily remove the sticky gunk from my line with my nails and a leader straightener. And if my leader is strait and not kinked or curled, I have no problems detecting strikes.

I like the green ones best. So do the trout. :cool:

I'm sure there isn't a pic on the smiley face list to express my reaction to this comment.

Hey Wetnet,

My comment was a little tongue-in-cheek. I use thingamabobbers, but if someone wants to use a red and white bobber, more power to them.

You talking to the guy who has a rod that uses a hose clamp for a reel seat and makes rod tubes out of PVC pipes. I've had my share of looks but who cares? They can look when I'm landing more fish than they do, too.

Ant,

My comment was about people making fun of you if you used home made things. You don't need to put your tongue in your cheek and I won't either if that is good for you. I'm all smiles a laughing just so you know, typed words stink! Really it's all about fishing and there are a very few that can catch a monster and just tip their hat and let it go and not say a word. The rest of us struggle to try to figure out why is that tree there and why is my last fly stuck in it?

I don't think thingambobbers..Did I spell it correctly? Are worth the money you spend on them since you already have the tools. I'd like to get back to the original question which was floating nymphs. I'd tell any new fisherman asking this question to try a dry dropper. It only seems advanced. Guys I'm almost 50, I caught a black nosed dace, something you tie on your vise, I'm not all that brillant with a rod but I saw the line stop and sent that poor little fish swinging through the air. It works and you get twice the bang for the buck.

There are some really cute red on top white on bottom devices that................

:-D

I agree, typed were are horrible. I think that I completely miss-read your comment. Glad to know everything is good.

I know that there are other floaters out there that you can make for a lot cheaper, but I'm just lazy sometimes. ;)

I honestly have yet to fish with a dropper fly. It's one of those things that I'm " going to try right after this..." and never gets done. Maybe I'll try that this week......

ant wrote:
I agree, typed were are horrible. I think that I completely miss-read your comment. Glad to know everything is good.

I know that there are other floaters out there that you can make for a lot cheaper, but I'm just lazy sometimes. ;)

I honestly have yet to fish with a dropper fly. It's one of those things that I'm " going to try right after this..." and never gets done. Maybe I'll try that this week......

I'm worse than a soccer Mom, I'm a fly fishing Mom. My son is a competitive fly fisherman. They do not use thingambobbers they can't so I have never used one. One of my friends gave me a clouser minnow and I didn't recognize it right away, Same deal.. in comps you can't use dumbell eyes. LOL! I could be having so much more fun fishing without the restrictions I have taken on without needing to. But I have also learned about being efficient. That skipping the whole thingambobber thing ...I just never learned it and never missed it and even though I still stink at times.. I caught a black nosed dace when my line stopped. Some people brag about big fish they catch and I am always amazed when I see my line stop and I have the confidence enough to set my line only to catch a tiny wisp of a fish. Those days I treasure!!

As long as you're having fun or laughing while people make fun of you .....heck smile. If your fishing you're not at work!!!

Everyone loves to catch the monster fish, but how many does one catch in an outing? Maybe one if your lucky. I'm glad to catch one, no matter the size.

Here is from my outing yesterday:
fish_next_to_reel.jpg

Not quite a monster, but...... :)

I'm surprised to hear about the dumbell eyes in the comps. Not that I know anything about competitive fly fishing, but that's part of the fly. I can see that they might not want anything added to the leaders (floats and shot and such) but to not allow a weighted fly..... well, what do I know.

ant wrote:

I'm surprised to hear about the dumbell eyes in the comps. Not that I know anything about competitive fly fishing, but that's part of the fly. I can see that they might not want anything added to the leaders (floats and shot and such) but to not allow a weighted fly..... well, what do I know.

Weighted flies are THE way competitive fishing is done. Beads, tungsten beads, lead or lead substitute wire, and flat lead with adhesive are all used to weight the flies used in competitions. I wasn't aware that dumbbells weren't allowed in competitive fishing (no pun intended). You are correct that indies and shot or any weight added to the line or tippet are banned.

Here is an article describing the basics of the weighted flies:

http://frontrangeanglers.com/newsletter/dec04/czechnymphs.htm

Attachments

• cz_nymphs.jpg
    cz_nymphs.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 9
Per FIPS-Mouche rules:

ARTICLE 28: COMPETITION FLIES.
28.1. Competitors may use floating or sinking artificial flies.
28.2. Each fly must be dressed on a single hook, without limit as to size.
28.3. The length of the dressed fly will be at the discretion of the competitor.
28.4. Weighted flies are permitted, provided the weight is hidden within the dressing. A single visible bead, not more than 4 mm in its maximum dimension, is also permitted. Painting alone does not constitute dressing.
28.5. A maximum of three flies is permitted which must not be closer to each other than fifty cm, measured eye to eye, hanging freely.
28.6. All flies must be attached to the leader in such a way that neither they nor their droppers move or slide along the leader material.
28.7. All flies must be dressed on hooks which are barbless or de-barbed.

Weight is weight. The main thing is that you can use a bead head as long as it doesn't look like a fish egg and the weight needs to be wrapped under dubbing.

The thing that I wonder about is why I stick to the same things my son fishes. Man I don't ever deviate like I'll be put on prison. I'm not a competitive fly fisher woman but it wasn't until my friend gave me a Clouser that I realized that I am a competive fly fisher woman, just a 2nd hand one. I'm not good I pretty much just stink! LOL!! Funny though I watched my line stop and set and caught the tiniest little fish. Forgive me for patting my own back and I don't think it makes me "Joan" but it sure makes me feel pretty darn good.

So should I stick with the program I've stayed with or should I venture out? I believe I do have some totally illegal comp wise Copper Johns. :)

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I have a bit more to learn before going pro. ;)

I like the looks of some of those nymphs. Simple and effective.

wetnet, your not fishing comp your fishing for fun. I learned this from a flyfisher with nearly 50 years experience. If you want to become a good flyfisher you must try to master all forms and methods of flyfishing. We must learn and practice methods that we are not comfortable with. This is how we get better. Oh and I think if you try John Barr's "Copper John" you will find it is a very good fly, even it is is against comp rules! LOL. Tight Lines!

I forgot to proof read my post.I think if you try John Barr's "Copper John" you will find it is a very good fly, even if it is against comp rules!

LOL! Me fishing a Copper John would be like a dry fly guy sinking a nymph! Ha! Ha! Ha!!!! I agree fully, next spring will be my dry fly year. Copper John's I'll think about it. LOL!!

Hey, I used to be that dry fly guy.LOL. I learned to nymph fish and now use that method more than any other. IMO it's the most effective . I just kept at it until I learned how to do it properly. I'm still learning. This sport is such that you can never know everything. That's what makes it a challenge to me. Take a chance and try something new. Oh and I still think you should try those "Copper Johns" LOL. Tight Lines.

Back