Straight 'Tailwater' Talk

troutbert wrote:
The article discusses 6 different dams. None of them includes a proposal for new release towers.

On another sub-topic, I wonder why the Yough was not mentioned? Surely there must be potential for improvement there.

Kind of true. The PFBC doesn't own the dams or release towers but there is definitely discussion amongst the primary stakeholders regarding modifying or even building new release towers. In the case of the Lehigh, it's one of the most discussed items amongst its work group.

Chaz wrote:
Several years ago the dam on L. Wallenpaupack was relicensed and at that time the local TU fought for and got cold water releases. I don't recall what those releases were, but it was to the dismay of the guys fighting for cold water releases on the Delaware.

The dismay wasn't nessarily over the Lackawaxen getting better coldwater releases but rather that the releases from Lake Wallenpaupack were going to count more towards the minimum flow requirement for Montague (this is used to keep the salt line below Trenton downriver) thus allowing for less withdrawal from the New York City-owned reservoirs.

Sorry, I know this is old-hat. But just recently fished Woodcock Creek LAKE for the 1st time for Musky (caught 1 24"). Is Woodcock Creek considered a tailwater trout fishery? I see it's stock but was wondering why there isn't a four-season trout opportunity??

No, Woodcock is not considered a tailwater trout fishery. For one thing, it is a relatively small stream (maxes out at 30-40 feet wide on average). Additionally, I'm pretty sure Woodcock Lake isn't all that deep.

The creek does fine as a stocked trout fishery and doesn't need any additional parochial silliness imposed upon it....

Ha! Thanks. Woodcock is listed as 40' at the dam, just thought it would have enough cold discharge to carry over downstream.

While this post is old it is interesting to see it resurface and realize that 3 years later not a 'dam' thing has changed. Beltzville still yo yos all over the place. Wally at the Lackawaxen is still absurd up and down every day. Lehigh is better but far from great with releases. Raystown Branch has no movement to my knowledge. Quemahoning is a complete waste of time as a trout fishery if you've ever taken the time to drive there and look at it (If you haven't DONT) Lots of talk and not much action going on here.

Don't expect government or PFBC to lead the charge with these efforts. Needs to come from NGOs with a lot of persistence.

Back