Stocktoberfest Who Is In?

Looks like I'll be there.

thanks jay

fadeaway263 wrote:
Fred is going to see if the Sporting Gentleman will open at 9AM. The Ridley Creek fly selection box is a good deal. Here is a link to the shop:

http://www.sportinggentleman.com/home.html

What's included in that? Various sizes of pellet flies, in different shades of brown?? Seriously, who markets a fly selection box for a put and take stocked trout stream??

I may be in for the fishing experience - anyone else heading down from the Lancaster County area??

I'm coming from Ephrata, but I should drive separate as my wife will be 8 months pregnant and I may have to leave early.

I am trying to make it but a pregnant wife may say otherwise. I am also trying to get a friend to tag along.

Dang. Late winter must have been a busy month for a bunch of us!

salmonoid wrote:
fadeaway263 wrote:
Fred is going to see if the Sporting Gentleman will open at 9AM. The Ridley Creek fly selection box is a good deal. Here is a link to the shop:

http://www.sportinggentleman.com/home.html

What's included in that? Various sizes of pellet flies, in different shades of brown?? Seriously, who markets a fly selection box for a put and take stocked trout stream??

So your saying that stockies only eat pellet flies ? Or that Ridley has no bugs in it ? The fish have to eat something while their in the streams right . So why not have a fly selection for your local stream does it matter if the fish are stocked . The Tully is stocked I'm
sure TCO has a selection for their local stream .

I plan to attend. Maybe I can learn something.

The Tully IS stocked, and TCO DOES have specific flies that work for them, AND the stockies there are no push over. Stockies aren't always a piece of cake. There have been plenty of times on native streams where I've well out numbered most days on a stocked stream.

KeithS wrote:
I plan to attend. Maybe I can learn something.

We would love to have ya Kieth I will be starting there a little late I have to drop my son off but I would love to show you some things and answer some questions you might have

We would love to have ya Kieth I will be starting there a little late I have to drop my son off but I would love to show you some things and answer some questions you might have

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.

i may be back in on this! sweeeeeeeeeet

The_Sasquatch wrote:
The Tully IS stocked, and TCO DOES have specific flies that work for them, AND the stockies there are no push over. Stockies aren't always a piece of cake. There have been plenty of times on native streams where I've well out numbered most days on a stocked stream.

The Tully is at least a limestoner (above the lake) and a marginal tailwater below the dam and it has bugs. Regardless, I wasn't referring to the Tully, or all stocked trout streams for that matter. I'm a firm believer that stocked trout hone their hatchery dulled senses pretty quickly to the natural prey in a stream (although maybe not completely in the few days from stocking to Stocktoberfest), and I have no doubt that Ridley has some sort of bug life. I just found it amusing that a fly shop would offer a fly selection box for Ridley Creek, and the various shades of pellet flies is my dry sense of humor. And the reason you catch more on native/wild trout streams is because those fish have to be opportunistic to survive and they will hit anything. I used to think that one had to be super stealthy to catch brookies, but I disprove myself every time I fish for them. Sure, I probably spook some of them, by being a bit more visible, but they still take the fly because they need food, and life can be tough for the little guys :)

You're getting fired up about fade's rendition of what the fly shop sells. He said the same about white clay, and the result was people buying a gold wolleybugger. To my knowledge, the shop isn't actually professing to have much specialization for the stream. It's just fun hocus pocus, perpetuated by our very own fade, as is to be expected.

It's part of fishing culture imo. Meh.

I don't even know if I'll fish. Just looking forward to shooting the breeze around the parking lot.

Fred...now would be a good time to chime in and tell the board that the Sporting Gentleman does have a selection of flies.

Attachments

• Ridley.jpg
    Ridley.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 6
That photo, with that signature line,...................awesomeness!

Looks like I'll be missing another mini Jam, because of health reasons...AGAIN. It's a shame, I like seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Anyone from the Harrisburg area going?

Hope you guys have a good time and some good weather!

PaulG

it is a shame you are not going paul.if you ever want to come to fluffya you can stay at my house.

you would do well at ridley because it is an ant stream through and through.an ant in the middle can get smashed viciously !

So what kind of water is this place? Bigger stream, smaller, what can I expect? Never fished there, never even heard of the place. Just lookin' forward to fall fishing w/ everyone.

Unless something unexpected happens, I'll definitely be there. Kinda like Jay, though, I'm more interested in shooting the breeze around the parking lot. That, and checking out a fly shop I've never been to. I'll fish at some point, I'm sure.

Anyone from my area that wants a ride, let me know.

Back