Steelhead Thread 2014-2015

1.82" predicted to fall in the next 5 days with some temp drops. May really get things moving.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/erie-pa/16501/october-weather/330296?monyr=10/1/2014&view=table

underwhelming first set of showers..

Same here in the Burgh. Underwelming fehk

Many sages say that the first major rain event doesn't bring in many fish but that it flushes out much of the debris that has been dropped near the mouths of the creeks. 1.87" of rain is quite significant I just don't know if it is enough to sink into the ground a bit after such a dry summer and not just run-off into the river and be low and clear in a day.

Even nearly 2" of rain in that drainage basin this time of year is pretty much a "poop through a goose" event. You blink twice, you'll miss it. With the exception of Conneaut Creek, all the Lake Erie tribs
with PA mileage are groundwater/spring input poor. When you combine this with the shale substrate of the lower 80% or so of most of the streams (again with the exception of Conneaut Creek which has a "normal" level of groundwater input until it gets well downstream of Albion), it gives a new definition to the term "flashy".

What it takes to really make a difference up there and provide the best opportunity for sustained decent flows is for the trees to close up shop for the year, drop their leaves and stop pulling so much groundwater. This usually happens about 11/1, give or take a week.

I understand how eager a lot of you guys are to get this part of your season underway. But these are the hydrological realities of the situation. Been that way for as long as I remember and was that way when my dad was running coon with his dad along the Blue Banks of Elk back in the 30's.

Have a great season, all. And remember, if you hook a guy from Willow Grove on your backcast, he has to be 70" or he must immediately returned to the water...

Weather man wrong today sunny and bright, gt less than 1/2" of rain last night and yesterday afternoon. lots wind no water.

Back colds over lake sunny on shore. Rain is not going to happen with south west winds predicted for the next few days.

web cam at Uncle John's was pretty full of anglers this morning, will be at the rink for my son's hockey game at 11 so no fishing today for me.

heavy rain in Pulaski on Friday night led to good catches on the Salmon yesterday the DSR report.

rain showers expected pretty much all week.

The creek is definitely up and I am sure that a fresh group has moved in and the others have moved up. Would be a perfect day to be there, despite the crowds.

Just got back. Heavy rain there this morning clouded things up quickly. Still a great morning. Landed four plus one bonus brown and lost two others. All above the tubes. Crowds weren't bad either up there. Fished for three hours... Then it got muddy I took a wrong step and went for a swim... Great morning nonetheless

did pretty well yesterday managed 7 on elk in the muddy waters but they had to be worked for found most of my fish in the moving waters and not to far off shore !on eggs wooly buggers and the" super secret fly"

Here's one from today- love the coloration on the gill plates.

Attachments

• ELK.jpg
    ELK.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 1
NY tribs were back to clear by afternoon lake was rough and of color. Did OK swinging flies.

RLeep wrote;

"Even nearly 2" of rain in that drainage basin this time of year is pretty much a "poop through a goose" event. You blink twice, you'll miss it. With the exception of Conneaut Creek, all the Lake Erie tribs
with PA mileage are groundwater/spring input poor. When you combine this with the shale substrate of the lower 80% or so of most of the streams (again with the exception of Conneaut Creek which has a "normal" level of groundwater input until it gets well downstream of Albion), it gives a new definition to the term "flashy".

What it takes to really make a difference up there and provide the best opportunity for sustained decent flows is for the trees to close up shop for the year, drop their leaves and stop pulling so much groundwater. This usually happens about 11/1, give or take a week."

This is the most informative explanation of the PA steelhead streams that I've ever read. I never thought it through enough to understand that the trees are sucking up so much of the rain water.

I live in York and it is a 5 1/2 hour drive to get to Girard. I usually make three trips between October 01 and the first week in December. I plan trips based on rain events and try to get there on falling high water. In the six years I've been fishing Elk I don't remember ever getting more than three full days of green tinted water before the creek gets so low and clear that the fish become very spooky. I've caught fish in the low and clear water on 5X and little #16 nymphs as long as they haven't been harassed by other guys trying to line them.

Looks like I'm headed up on Friday. Little bit of rain should keep the water at a decent level to move a few fish. I'll post a report when I get back.

It looks like there's been more and more browns returning the last few years. I check out a few sites and there's been a good handful of pictures of browns this year. It'll be nice to see some diversity up there and land some nice big hook jawed browns.

anglers on the DSR at Pulaski report big numbers of steelhead moving up after rain bumped the flows slightly up to 450CFS.

one fly guy reports seeing 20 steelhead jump in an hour or so.

4 weeks today and counting ;-)

Was up in Erie yesterday--Levels were low, but fishable. Without rain, I don't think there's any fishing until showers hit next week. Considering the low flow, still did really well, and the weather cooperated making it a successful early season outing. If you walk, there are piles of fish and no people.... :)

Well, here's the poop... I fished essentially all of Elk Creek over the past 10 days. There is a good number of fish in the system. The largest number of fish are still below route 20, though there are some scattered fish here and there throughout the system.

By the end of today, the water is getting stupid low. It's supposed to rain quite a bit next week and hopefully that happens. Personally, I would not rush up to Erie this weekend if you live far away. If you live closer and know where some of the deeper fast runs are, it's not a waste of time, but with the low water...they are getting fewer and fewer.

I just posted some tips on my outfitter FB page I thought I would share with you. Hopefully these will help with your early season trips. It's gonna be a fun season!

The early Fall steelhead season is upon us across Ohio and Pennsylvania. The weather and water is still warm and the fish are HOT! Here are a few tips to get them in your hand.

1. Back off that drag. Set the drag tight enough to keep your reel from backlashing. Keep it light and let them run. You can palm the reel when necessary or increase the drag if you feel it is necessary after the 1st couple of runs.

2. When the creeks are low and clear, look for fast deep runs for active fish. Sure, there are fish in those holes with no flow. And for the most part, you want to pass them by. If you must, strip a streamer through those pools a few times and then move on. The fish in those pools are very spooky. Your presence, shadows, and plopping your fly in the water will usually scatter them. You are not likely to catch those fish. Just move on.

When you find fast deep cuts, they will likely hold fish. The fish are less spooky because they feel concealed by the moving water and they are more likely to feed in moving water.

3. If you have ever wanted to try swinging flies...now is the time. These early fish are very aggressive and with the warmer water temperatures, they will chase a swung streamer a long way. And, you don't have to have a 2 handed rod to swing flies, it works just as well with single hand rods. Position yourself at the top of a fast run and cast your streamer (down stream) across the stream at about a 45 degree angle. Then just let the streamer swing across the flow. The early season conditions afford you your best chance to have a big day of multiple fish on the swing. Just be ready, because when they hit, they might pull your arms off. And of course you can catch them swinging flies during any season, this is just an exceptionally good time if you are new to swinging.

4. Streamers mimicking emerald shiners work exceptionally well in the early Fall. BUT, don't hesitate to downsize your offering when conditions are low and clear. Simple hare's ear and pheasant tail nymphs always work well. And steelhead are always suckers for single egg patterns, even when there are not any eggs around just yet.

5. Do not hesitate to downsize that tippet in the low and clear. 4x is a good choice and at times 5x is not out of the question if the fish are being stubborn. That being said, landing a juiced-up fresh steelhead on 5x can be tough.

Good stuff. Saw your post on FB......all very good tips for this time of year. Especially #2

I'm thinking of fishing for steelhead somewhere this weekend. The conditions will be terrible, but the other options I was throwing around are about the same distance from home as the Erie tribs. I want chrome :)

Back