Steelhead Jam 2016 11/4 - 11/6

Norm, I wish I could give you something definite for your roll call. I was hoping to make it up there on Friday for the entire day, but unfortunately I likely can't.

I'll try to make it up for one day though. Probably Saturday, but I really hate crowds.

Could possibly be up Thursday if I burn a vacation day.

If I do make it up Saturday, I might try to catch you (pro4mance) or someone else at the hotel before they leave for the CG. It would make one less vehicle at the CG.

Norm, I think I still have your cel phone number, but just in case, send it to me again in a PM. ... please.

I also have some of your tippet spools.

At least I think they are yours.;-)

I will be there bright and early on Friday morning, heading home Sunday evening.

Latest update from Poor Richard's on Facebook:

Today the creeks are getting to be low and clear again. They are calling for more rain starting tomorrow and going through till saturday. They are doing pretty well today on both walnut and elk creek. Most fish being caught on single eggs and egg sacks. The fish are all the way up to 79 on elk just not in great numbers yet. Walnut we havent had any reports about fish being any higher than the falls above manchester. Good luck and happy fishing.
Jr.

I will be there in spirit from Thursday evening about 5:00 PM until Sunday around noonish. As for "in person" I am on the wrong side of doubtful.

Really Jack ? Dan I've been watching the same and others.

Yes, really. I was there for the 1st and maybe the second, in person. But, I barely get out any more and am not likely to get out next weekend.

Elk is the barometer and until the live cam went down, it looked perfect from the view. I would park at sterretania and walk down.

I'll be up on the 5th with another group of guys. Hope to run into some of you.

Here's an FYI... I just heard that there is MORE posted water by Folly's. If you're standing in the campground the FIRST bend downstream by the wall is now posted all the way down to the next section of posted water. That's like another mile of stream, and a lot of good water that is now gone from the public. Just don't want you guys getting disappointed when you show up for the JAM that there isn't as much fishable water at Folly's. Big bummer for me. I loved that stretch of water.

I've actually never fished at/near Folly's even though we end up meeting there all the time. Wonder if it's another "pay to play" section, or just an upset landowner?

Can confirm. From the bottom of Folly's property down is posted. All of middle Elk is posted, from a little above the Legion Hole the whole way to Folly's.

Upstream of Folly's is still open, up to well beyond Streuchen. Really, there's all of 30 yards of posted water the whole way from Folly's up to I-79, with accesses at Folly's, Streuchen Flats (Platz Rd), Sterretania, and Rick Rd.

That 30 yard stretch is bout halfway between Streuchen Flats and Sterretania. Prevents passing through, but it's not really much water that's actually off limits.

- Vast majority of lower Elk is open (from mouth up to past the Legion Hole). There is a short exception.

- ALL of middle Elk is closed (from a little above Legion to Folly's). There are no exceptions that I'm aware of.

- Vast majority of upper Elk is open (Folly's to I-79). There is a short exception.

early weather report:
TonightPartly cloudy, with a low around 43. South wind 9 to 16 mph.
TuesdayPartly sunny, with a high near 68. South wind around 17 mph.
Tuesday NightA slight chance of showers between 9pm and 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. South wind 7 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
WednesdayA slight chance of showers after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. South wind 5 to 7 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Wednesday NightShowers likely, mainly after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 55. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 7 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
ThursdayShowers, mainly before 4pm. High near 59. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Thursday NightA chance of showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
FridayMostly sunny, with a high near 52.
Friday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 43.
SaturdayMostly sunny, with a high near 56.
Saturday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 42.
SundayMostly sunny, with a high near 53.

If the rain hits as it's supposed to it could be a pretty good weekend in terms of flows and could be some excellent fishing.

I'll be up early Friday morning until Sunday. I am looking forward to meeting you all. I'll be staying at the Quality Inn on Sterrettania Rd as well. Sounds like a good time.

I fished last Sunday, the day before Halloween, as the last rain event was running off. Fish were throughout upper Elk. I was swinging big purple stuff and hooked up almost immediately after stepping into the water. I think the great water conditions were tempered by bluebird skies and bright sun on the water. One fellow fly angler said that Friday was very productive while the water was rising but Sunday not as much.

I'm headed back up Saturday morning. I'll probably try to fish that evening and see if I can't bump into any of you. I might try Sunday morning too. We'll see.

Probably not going to make it, trying to finish up a couple jobs, getting ready for trip to SE Asia, leaving next Friday for Burma and Thailand. Hope you guys have some good conditions up there, and drink a beer at the Avonia for me!!

I will be up there early Friday morning. Trying to catch my first steelhead on a fly rod. Should be intetesting.

bikerfish wrote:
Probably not going to make it, trying to finish up a couple jobs, getting ready for trip to SE Asia, leaving next Friday for Burma and Thailand. Hope you guys have some good conditions up there, and drink a beer at the Avonia for me!!

Bring back some Tied Stick-- you know, that stuff that's tied to a stick.

-- [Vintage] Cheech and Chong.

Prodigal, are you going to meet up with us at Folly's? Or are you saying you're just going to be up there in general. Just making sure we know to help you if you need any guidance....

I'm up here. Quality inn Sterrattania in room 111. Stopped by muffy and fluffy, water was up and off color. Not raining

It'll be prime tomorrow and pretty good on Saturday IMO.

That was my thought also.

JackM wrote:
bikerfish wrote:

Bring back some Tied Stick-- you know, that stuff that's tied to a stick.

-- [Vintage] Cheech and Chong.
t

Yeah, customs love when you try to do that!!

Back