Springton water levels

salmo

salmo

I happened to cross the dam at Springton Reservoir and noticed that the water levels seemed low considering the recent rains in the area. Do they keep the levels intentionally low in anticipation of the spring rains or snow melt or is the reservoir still low from drought conditions? I'm not really familiar with that body of water.

I drive by Springton almost every day, and I can tell you it's lower than I personally have seen it in 15 years. It is fed mainly by Crum Creek, so it's pretty much reliant on rain water. There are some MONSTER fish in there though!

It's still closed to (legal) fishing, right?

sgrim wrote:
It's still closed to (legal) fishing, right?
Yes, it's closed to fishing. I believe the Pa state record carp was from Springton, back when you could fish there. It's since been broken. I know of a couple of guys who slide in there at night and catch some BIG bass! Huge catfish as well.

According to a certain theory popular on paflyfish, a fishery closed to harvest should result in over-population and small, stunted fish.

Hmmm.

I assume there are trout that migrate down into Springton since Crum Creek has some natural reproduction.

Apples and oranges...trout streams vs warmwater/cool water fish populations. Reservoir fish communities are generally much more complex and have an assortment of predator-prey relationships and behavioral mechanisms, Cannibalism and breeding controls exerted by bigger fish to name two, that in many instances result in quality fish populations. Those populations may be somewhat predator crowded at times, producing large predators and large panfish, but substantial to moderate densities overall. In much less complex systems, however, some of the same species will stunt.

Consider the under fished farm pond, a simple system in comparison to a reservoir, occupied by only largemouth bass and bluegill. Things are great for a while and the pond manager thinks that if harvest isn't allowed the population will stay this way forever. But then in typical cases the bass overpopulate, wipe out the bluegill or nearly so, and stunt, often with bass in the 8.5-11.5 inch range and a rare large one with only a very few large, older adult bluegill remaining. Thank too little fishing or too much C&R fishing. Appropriate amounts of bass harvest in the pond, without going overboard, would have prevented this.

There's a story somewhere out on the internet (so it must be true!) about a guy sneaking in there, catching a would-be state record smallmouth, and then having to admit where he caught it to claim the record. The record was disqualified and he was fined several thousand dollars.

Real story was probably more like, guy snuck in and caught a really big smallmouth.

sarce wrote:
There's a story somewhere out on the internet (so it must be true!) about a guy sneaking in there, catching a would-be state record smallmouth, and then having to admit where he caught it to claim the record. The record was disqualified and he was fined several thousand dollars.

Real story was probably more like, guy snuck in and caught a really big smallmouth.
Sarce, I haven't heard that particular story, but I can tell you with certainty that what would be a State Record catfish (I think flathead) was caught in there just a couple months ago. Dude was using live sunfish for bait. I did see a pic of it and it was a monster approaching 50lbs!!

is that the reservoir going up the 7 mountains on 322?

Nope it's near Philly. Delaware county

I happened to cross the dam at Springton Reservoir and noticed that the water levels seemed low considering the recent rains in the area. Do they keep the levels intentionally low in anticipation of the spring rains or snow melt or is the reservoir still low from drought conditions? I'm not really familiar with that body of water.

A couple 1" or less rain events won't make up for a months and months and months long drought situation...the reservoirs didn't empty overnight, nor will they fill back up that quickly.

The reservoir along RT 322 is Laurel Run Reservoir. Good place for large, frog and smelt fed Browns.

Thanks Mike.
Don't get up that way much anymore but seem to recall that it was off limits to fishing then at some point it was no longer off limits?
Used to past many times per year going to and from PSU.

When you look at the precipitation amounts for the past 12 months, the Philadelphia area, precipitation is normal. We have had about 42 inches of precipitation in the past 12 months which is spot on with the annual average. We've had 13 iinches of precipitation in the last 4 months. There is no real evidence of a prolonged drought in SE Pa.

I know several years back, possibly during Sandy or Floyd there was concern over the integrity of the dam.

I don't know if there were real issues and if so, if they have been resolved.

I know Crum Creek Reservoir never gets that low so the draw-down(s) may be intentional. This is hardly the first time this has happened.

A call to Aqua may get an interested party an informed answer.

Bamboozle wrote:
I know Crum Creek Reservoir never gets that low so the draw-down(s) may be intentional. This is hardly the first time this has happened.

A call to Aqua may get an interested party an informed answer.
You can't draw down what isn't there. I've heard from older locals that they've seen it this low in the past.

I've seen it this low more than a few times but my point is that Crum Creek Reservoir (the reservoir downstream of Springton at Beatty Road) never gets dramatically low when Springton does.

Same source with less than an abundance of substantial tributaries downstream of 252 so it makes an intentional draw down of Springton seem likely, (at least to me).

Back