Spring Creek State College

Mwheaps32

Mwheaps32

Headed to spring Creek tomorrow what should I be using? I've never fished there before or any spring creeks in general.

I don't know SC as well as some others on the board, but this time of year you can usually keep the fly selection pretty simple for the limestoners in that area. If I were going, I would take some scuds, cressbugs, small pt's, and maybe some more flashy nymph patterns. Green weenies and egg patterns would probably work too. I've also done pretty well there on small-medium sized streamers in olive, black, and cream color depending on water clarity

In addition to the selection above, add some midges of varies types both nymph and dry.

Might be a little early for BWO's, but if you have some, throw them in.

One of my most memorable fishing moments was a BWO hatch in a snow storm. The flakes were coming down and the fish were coming up!

In my opinion zebra midges and wooly buggers should have you covered.

Ask these guys:

http://www.pautzke.com/central-pas-spring-creek-serving-up-quality-trout/

Wild_Trouter wrote:
Ask these guys:

"while many sections are reserved for fly guys"

One section, one mile long.

Olive buggers, zebras and bwo's. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info guys I appreciated it. I ended up catching a few on size 16 pt . I watched a guy catch easily over 20 using minnows. Thanks again

I didn't realize there was water on Spring Creek that you could use bait.

Bellefonte down to where it dumps into Bald Eagle.

All of Spring Creek is open to C&R bait fishing except for "The Paradise" section.

The exception, of course, are the sections that are posted against all fishing.

lol

troutbert wrote:
Wild_Trouter wrote:
Ask these guys:

"while many sections are reserved for fly guys"

One section, one mile long.

They caught HUNDREDS of trout in the week and few were of the size as the ones caught in the only spot on the creek that has a large number of hideous stocked trout.

What a travesty that of all the beautiful water in the State College area they found the "best" water to be the pellet head section of spring creek. Hopefully more people went there rather than other spots because of the post. lol

I LOVE Spring creek and can't wait to toss some line there with you guys in May.

Terrible exploitation article that is purely self serving for their salmon egg company. The rainbows are ugly, malnourished, and with virtually no color. I was unaware that bait was allowed any where on Spring Creek. Of all places to allow bait right below the "No Fishing" area where people feed the trout all day with round little pellets.

The trout that leave the no fishing area above the bridge are conditioned to trout pellets and it is no wonder they are caught so easily below the bridge.

For many years there was no fishing allowed until you were below the second bridge down stream. I wonder if PFBC opened that water because license sales have been falling and this might bring some license monies back and with it hordes of bait anglers. A shame.

Is there still a no fishing area in Bellefonte? I thought that they opened that section to fishing three to five years ago.

Tyoung wrote;

Is there still a no fishing area in Bellefonte? I thought that they opened that section to fishing three to five years ago.

I was under the impression that from the bridge in Tallyrand Park upstream to the RR bridge is closed to all fishing. There are large quantities of big browns, rainbows, and goofy looking palominos in that water. I doubt if there would be so many if fishing were allowed. The water down stream of Tallyrand bridge was closed for years and opened five years ago.

wbranch wrote:
Terrible exploitation article that is purely self serving for their salmon egg company. The rainbows are ugly, malnourished, and with virtually no color. I was unaware that bait was allowed any where on Spring Creek. Of all places to allow bait right below the "No Fishing" area where people feed the trout all day with round little pellets.

The trout that leave the no fishing area above the bridge are conditioned to trout pellets and it is no wonder they are caught so easily below the bridge.

For many years there was no fishing allowed until you were below the second bridge down stream. I wonder if PFBC opened that water because license sales have been falling and this might bring some license monies back and with it hordes of bait anglers. A shame.

Spring has been open to bait ever since the All Tackle C&R regulation went into effect..

The stretch in Bellefonte that was opened was opened up because no one could remember why it was even closed in the first place. Why does it matter what angling method the individual who lobbied to open the stretch above Lamb Street Bridge to High Street prefers? He was a fly angler, by the way. And I don't believe it was PFBC that had it closed; Bellefonte Borough Council is the group that ultimately was convinced to open it.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/east-coast/spring-creek-miracle-part-2/

Back