Some Tricos

Nice Poop! I love it. It looks like something The Professor whipped up on Gilligans Island.

Nice analogy! It does doesn't it? That's some good backyard ingenuity right there, nice job.

It's a thousand year old technology revisited.

I'll bet you hunt with a flintlock, and make you're own patches & balls. I make my own patches but buy the balls for mine.

Sometimes I shoot my flintlock without a ball. It saves all the trouble of going and looking for a blood trail. Kind of like C&R with the old "smokepole". :lol:

J55tyger88 wrote:
Here ya go Poop.

Main vise
CAM00155_zps88b5c6ae.jpg

"Rotary" project vise
CAM00160_zps16009c97.jpg

I started somewhere around "why bother" and decided that's pretty fantastic stuff, especially the rotary version.

Thanks!

Gfen love the vise grip vise I need 1 as a conversation piece.

For Tricos a gent on the LL showed me he strictly fishes a comparadun size 20 with a bleached wing to make seeing it easier. Now this is crazy but true the body colors of the flies changes as the season goes on and even from early morning until after 9 ish each day. I have had banner days reaching double digits fishing this thing. I havent mastered what color to use when but it can be blind fished and they will slam it. None of that sipping stuff where you go blind trying to follow your spec of pepper on the water amongst a gazillion others.

H-A called me today just to catch up and he mentioned this thread which I had not had a chance to read. I see my Trico made a cameo early on, well to be honest I tied the fly but another gent (and I unfortunately forget who) on this board PM'd me a few years back and gave me his pattern so I cannot take credit. I'm off to CA this Saturday and have an out of town funeral to attend tomorrow but after I get back from CA, I'll put a picture tutorial up of the CDC Comparadun Trico I was taught to tie.

Although I'll try to explain it here without pictures. It is an EXTREMELY easy fly to tie.

Materials:
Size 24 or 26 Tiemco 2488 Hook
2 White Microfibbet Tails (I prefer L&L brand, the others I feel are crap) and even though the bug has 3 tails, I only tie in two.
Black size 8/0 thread (entire male body and abdomen of female) Primrose for thorax on females.
2 White CDC "Puffs"
Black Dubbing

Tying Instructions:
-Hook in vise
-Tie in thread (black for male and primrose for female) at the eye and wrap back about 1/3
-Tie in 2 "Puffs" stem facing toward the bend and flat of the puffs horizonal of top of the shank. Wrap 3 or 4 times to lock in and then pull up the puffs and take 2 or 3 turns in front. Then wrap back about half way to the bend. Do not trim puffs yet.
-Tie in microfibbets and then secure to the bend without going down the bend
-Split the tails using your preferred method, I simply figure 8 mine
-Wrap thread creating a slight tappered body up to the back of the puffs. If tying the female, half hitch the primrose here, cut the thread and now tie in the black thread.
-dub a very small amount of black and make a little build up in front of the puffs to help them stand up straight. It won't take much but tie it very tight so that it locks the stem up. If you need more dubbing use it but tying it tight helps reduce the bulk while securing the angle.
-Whip finish the head and cut the thread
-Lastly pull the puffs straight up and tight then trim to correct height. Correct height is about the length of the body. Since you are pulling tight, once cut the puffs will fan out just like a comparadun

To a point Tyger made earlier in the thread, make sure you have Frog's Fanny because you will definitely need to dry the fly after the first fish. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I'll bring the materials needed for a tying demo on this to the Fish N Chips event.

Nice! Thanks fox!

I tried tying some tricos today. I saw a seller on ebay trying to sell a hi-vis version for an obscene price ($20/dozen) so I thought i'd give it a go myself. Here is my size 24 parchute spinner.. Do you guys think it is worth the extra effort? The parachute really isn't that difficult to tie in but it's difficult to work around.

I just saw HA's post about sparse wings being better. I made a little adjustment with my next tie:

http://imgur.com/LzTSnOm

Wings look pretty good to me. I'd try to keep the hi viz post shorter - less chance to tip the fly over.

Who knows. This fly might work just fine - the fish will let you know.

Tie some up without the post, too. Pretty impressive tying there kiddo.

I love the little post Matt, good looking ties. You're going to surpass us all here directly, especially being so young and all. :-D

Thanks lv2! HA, I just tied one with a much shorter post, now that I look back at those pics I see what you meant. They do look tall but these are 24s so that post is much smaller than it appears. The post on this next one is basically right in line with the top of the dubbing. I did a little float test in the sink and it seems to do just fine.

http://imgur.com/YV85JRg

Nice!

That puppy will hunt....

The best pattern I ever used during a Trico spinner fall is a size 24 tail-less fly tied with DRC spectrumized dubbing (Trico Spinner Color) and a small tuft of CDC. Takes about 5 seconds to tie and the fish absolutely murder em. Reason being I assume is because Trico wings are almost perfectly clear, not white, as many Trico spinner patters are tied with. So, a little body just sitting in the surface film without any appreciable/highly visible wings is actually a better respresentaion of the real thing than a spinner with heavy white wings.

Murph, ties like cool man. I like the posted sighter. Good work by you.

A few of my favorite patterns...
CDC becomes translucent. This one floats like a cork.
IMGP1601_zpsf62122f8.jpg

Most realistic wing I have found. McFly Foam. Very difficult to keep in the film and hard to see at a distance, but has taken some tough fish for me.
IMGP1598_zps939d06c9.jpg

The standard HiViz wing.
IMGP1593_zps0a3e0f06.jpg

The most productive fly for me.
IMGP1604_zpsd6a7e4ef.jpg

The fish I usually catch on my Trico patterns...
DSC_0607.jpg

Nice lookin ties there GC, and they take impressively large fish as well. :-o

Back