Some Tricos

Was on spring last night and the fish were rising to midges. They were cream in color, very small. So down to seven x/size 26 I go, they were rising everywhere couldn't ring the dinner bell on them. Tied on a 20 bwo got two and missed three right away. That ceased quickly enough, changed to a size 18 bwo bang, bang two more caught and missed a dandy. That stopped quickly as well. By now it's getting dark fast started seeing some cream sulphurs 16 tied one on and had a blast until well past dark. Go figure, saw all of the above bugs on the water but only a handful of each, except the midges they were everywhere. So, was it presentation that did the trick? Or with several different bugs on the water and the individual trout wanting this or that and passing on other perfectly good bugs, trying different patterns on them and finding the trout that wanted that one, changing and finding the trout that wanted that one? In this scenario I think that makes sense?

J55tyger88 wrote:

Presentation rules over representation ????

Funny you say that because the biggest fish I slayed was on an extreme downstream presentation. I kep hearing this slurping downstream in the slack water about 40 feet or a little more.

I didn't want to move downstream to try for it, so I cast as far as I could and just started paying out line with s-curves. The trout took, and I locked up and landed it. Then I went home.

Jack,
so in your case would you say they took the bigger flies because they are more of a meal? Then once it got dark, they just saw the impression of a bug in the water and went after?

I have problems with my drift so most of the time I blame No takes on myself rather than not having a good imitation.

I would just say that trout are dumber than we think and will do unexpected things. An 18 BWO probably just looked like food at the time.

Jim, When I saw the bwo I felt relief for a larger bug and tried it. Of all the fish rising I found the five that wanted one, and I think the same for the 18's. There weren't a lot of them but enough to get a short burst of interest from some of them. A few were on the water and I had the flies to take advantage of an other wise fruitless ( for me) situation. I think it's like one person walks up to a table of fruit and takes an apple, another takes a banana, and another an orange. If you know what I mean.

I'm with jack. Trout are dumber then we think. I think they will work as is.

Again, i really like that vise. I would really like to see a picture of the entire vise.

Jack, i got ya. Makes sense.

JackM, thats what i was thinking as well. The bug just flipped thier "thats food" trigger.

Poop, ill take some pics tonight of my redneck vise.

JackM wrote:
I once fished an 18 BWO during the trico fall and slayed them. :cool:

Didn't you also catch a steelhead on an 18 bwo dry?

I'm a fan of fox's trico. Maybe he can do a demo at the fish n chips?????

ryguyfi wrote:
JackM wrote:
I once fished an 18 BWO during the trico fall and slayed them. :cool:

Didn't you also catch a steelhead on an 18 bwo dry?

Yes, I always have them with me and find they can catch fish when they really shouldn't.

Here ya go Poop.

Main vise
CAM00155_zps88b5c6ae.jpg

"Rotary" project vise
CAM00160_zps16009c97.jpg

I love it!!...

Tyger, that is awesome. Will have to see the new one in action.

GenCon

I am a life long tinkerer, fan of all things old, and making things myself. That takes the cake and I love it. Thanks for sharing. Since I am learning to weld (right now I just call it sticking two pieces of metal together) I might have to whip one of those up for my heaviest of saltwater bucktails.

I had a similar experience where I wanted a lathe to make wood plugs but didn't want to spend the money and the wood shop ran out of room. I ended up cobbling together a spring pole lathe out of scrap wood. It works great, provides me with my exercise, and if I'm feeling energetic I can get it up to 70 rpm's. something homemade is just so satisfying.

Mike, Jack, thanks!

Poop, fortunately i am a welder with an abundance of TIG machines at my disposal. :) I also work in a machine shop so anytime some parts get scrapped, i browse through to see what i can make.

The rotary function on the second vise is too loose so im trying to figure some kind of spring tension collet thats fully enclosed. Its a work in progress...good thing is the jaws on my vises are cheap :)

My Griffith vice has a simple rubber collet pressed into the sleeve. A jamb nut (for lack of a better term) when tightened against the base of the sleeve and the rubber insert provides easy adjustment and smoothness of rotation. Maybe you can go that route. It seems pretty simple but what the heck does a metal sticker know.

Just for shits and giggles here's some pictures of my viking lathe in case your thinking of switching from metal to wood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 3
Sweet! I like it alot! Wow this topic took a hard right...:)

Poop, i would really like to see this thing in person. Enginuity at its finest. How is it driven?

Hard right? Tricos, homemade vice, welding, pole lathe. Seems like a logical progression to me.

It's foot powered. The two saplings on the side is the motor. Stretched between the motors is a bobbin. You twist the bobbin which twists the attached ropes which pulls the saplings in. When tight you tie a cord to the bobbin and let it go. the release of the tension created by the saplings wraps the cord around the bobbin. Now wrap a piece of green wood around the cord and place between the centers. The cord goes from the bobbin, around the work piece, and down the the end of a treadle.

When you step on the treadle the cord spins the work piece. When you step off the treadle the tension from the saplings wind the cord back on the bobbin and raises the treadle for the next step. It turns the work piece in a reciprocating fashion. You cut into the wood only when it is turning towards you. Each step on the treadle will turn the workpiece at the blazing speed of about 5 or 6 revolutions. There is a learning curve to it.

Clear as mud huh. Youtube pole lathes there are plenty of videos that clearly show what I can't explain that well. On my lathe the center on the right is adjustable. That was one of my "welding" projects.

Ah, ok i see. Very cool! I like the Viking Lathe. "Welding project..."

Back