Some Pennsylvania anglers will see stocked and wild trout together on opening day

Give it time, we're only a quarter of the way into the year, and recently there are stories of train derailments nearly every day.
It's not like the derailments have made a significant increases in occurrence though. They are just now all news after what a disaster the East Palestine incident was.

Give it time, we're only a quarter of the way into the year, and recently there are stories of train derailments nearly every day.

The Bureau of Transportation Statistics records 54,539 train derailments between 1990 to 2021, an average of 1,704 per year.

Nothing new.

Falling springs delayed harvest behind McDonald’s the stocked (and wild) trout eat chicken nuggets, I talked to someone there last year and they were feeding them
I can also testify that they eat sesame seed buns and french fries.

Falling springs delayed harvest behind McDonald’s the stocked (and wild) trout eat chicken nuggets, I talked to someone there last year and they were feeding them

About 200 years ago I created a "French Fry" fly from spun yellow deer hair specifically for the fish in that section. I never went back to try them out, but they ended up being a killer pattern for ducks at the Run... ;)

Had McNuggets been around in those days I would have been all over a "McNugget" fly or at minimum carried around some brown Play-Doh and size 8 hooks... :p

Lol!!!!
Let's fact check some of this.

“What we’re doing is taking these trout and bringing them to your neighborhood, to your county and places they would not otherwise exist,”

Fact check rating: partially true.

There are wild trout streams that are stocked by the state or that co op hatcheries stock.

"The brook trout is the only species native to the state, Parker said. There are wild populations of brown trout as well.

While the others are nonnative, they are not considered invasive or harmful to the ecosystem, he said. Still, the state does not put trout into waters with any significant populations of wild brook or brown trout."

Fact check rating: completely false.

Non native species are invasive regardless of how the PFBC views them for their own agenda. This is a well documented fact.

Also isn't there a class A list of waters still stocked?

I stopped reading the article after that, it's garbage. I'm all for stocking trout in WW streams so others can enjoy trout fishing, I'm also all for stocking them in lakes for the same purpose, but let's be real and truthful.

Those above comments made by the PFBC spokesman are just false. It's lying. It's sad. At least admit there is some harm rather than trying to have 100 percent good public relations as if nothing bad is coming from angler desires while serving them what they want.

I think , me personally, would have a much easier time hearing the truth. We stock because you guys want it, but there are some negative impacts and here is what they are.

I have no respect for lies by omission or blantently being deceptive. They want to seem like a good guy or to make the public feel like it's all puppies and rainbows by keeping them in the dark or feeding their willful ignorance.

Attachments

• pawap.jpg
    pawap.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
i think the fact that they are straight up lying is actually a detriment to them. On the fox news story and this you have their statements that top 30 and top 100 worst worlds invasive species out of 4-5k known invasive species…..are supposedly not invasive species. Other states shocking them, and poisoning them, putting bounties on them in certain specific small areas where management of native fish and other creatures is the goal. I actually hope they dig themselves deeper first in the coming weeks because this train is leaving the station so to speak in the continental united states with or without them. And they are really racking up some very strong publicly visible instances of waste fraud and abuse. Lying about invasive species, bending the knee to private hatcheries and canning the stocking auth, abandoning a whole host of initiatives they state their doing on paper in wild life action plan and TMP, risking mud snail spread for the sake of spreading other invasive, completely FUBAR messaging surrounding conservation to anglers. Its like watching a dumpster fire.

i think the fact that they are straight up lying is actually a detriment to them. On the fox news story and this you have their statements that top 30 and top 100 worst worlds invasive species out of 4-5k known invasive species…..are supposedly not invasive species. Other states shocking them, and poisoning them, putting bounties on them in certain specific small areas where management of native fish and other creatures is the goal. I actually hope they dig themselves deeper first in the coming weeks because this train is leaving the station so to speak in the continental united states with or without them. And they are really racking up some very strong publicly visible instances of waste fraud and abuse. Lying about invasive species, bending the knee to private hatcheries and canning the stocking auth, abandoning a whole host of initiatives they state their doing on paper in wild life action plan and TMP, risking mud snail spread for the sake of spreading other invasive, completely FUBAR messaging surrounding conservation to anglers. Its like watching a dumpster fire.
If only these papers had place where anyone could write in and give their own OPINIONs about a topic that was previously covered in said paper.

If only these papers had place where anyone could write in and give their own OPINIONs about a topic that was previously covered in said paper.
There is, there is many.

I....would have a much easier time hearing the truth. We stock because you guys want it, but there are some negative impacts and here is what they are.
Yes, this! Not only would they be more credible, they would also have a better chance of gauging the real motivations of anglers.

Here's a novel idea for PAFB: Treat us like adults with functional pre-frontal cortexes. This disingenuous nonsense is just insulting.

I'm a little late to the conversation here but I grew up fishing one of these stocked Class A waters. Its my home waters. I know it like the back of my hand. I also have lots of experience with Bald Eagle Creek. For some reason these waters survive very well with rainbow trout stocked over wild brown trout. As long as we have large numbers meat hunters who refuse to catch and release or to use selective harvesting methods certain streams will always need stocking. I'm always amazed in these areas at the size of some of the wild browns. They tend to be few and far apart but they are there. I just hope and pray that on these streams the right people catch these amazing wild brown trout. There is nothing else anyone can do but hope and pray. I'm always amazed at the size of some of these wild fish and wonder how many hooks they have dodged over the years. I caught this 21" wild brown on Sunday about 20 yards from where the stockie buckets were thrown in. I actually caught more wild/holdover/fingerling trout than I did fresh stockies on Sunday. Thats a great feeling! I just hope that others can learn and realize how special these wld fish are! All you can do is try to attempt to educate others!

Attachments

• 20230402_103743.jpg
    20230402_103743.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 31
Yes, this! Not only would they be more credible, they would also have a better chance of gauging the real motivations of anglers.

Here's a novel idea for PAFB: Treat us like adults with functional pre-frontal cortexes. This disingenuous nonsense is just insulting.
Yes.

“Trout fishing as we know it would be almost nonexistent in Pennsylvania without supplementing the waters with stocked trout,” said Mike Parker, a spokesman for the state Fish and Boat Commission. “

"Still, the state does not put trout into waters with any significant populations of wild brook or brown trout."

Umm. LMAO. Wow. I'm not against stocking overall, but, those 2 statements are just astounding to me, coming from our state conservation agency. They're not even opinions, just straight out verifiable lies.

Yes.

“Trout fishing as we know it would be almost nonexistent in Pennsylvania without supplementing the waters with stocked trout,” said Mike Parker, a spokesman for the state Fish and Boat Commission. “

"Still, the state does not put trout into waters with any significant populations of wild brook or brown trout."

Umm. LMAO. Wow. I'm not against stocking overall, but, those 2 statements are just astounding to me, coming from our state conservation agency. They're not even opinions, just straight out verifiable lies.
Thank you.
That is exactly my point too.

So on this concept of allowing the harvest of stocked rainbows while prohibiting the harvest of wild browns in the 12 Class A + STW sections. The more I've thought about it, the more I support it. The data presented today on the concept really solidified that it's a valid approach and supported by biological surveys and angler surveys.

More broadly, this is similar to the regulations Maryland implemented for brook trout. MD still stocks over brook trout in some waters but requires brook trout be released. These 12 Class A + STW sections could set a precedent for something similar down the road for brook trout in PA. I know in MD, they found the vast majority of anglers could correctly identify species and PFBC presented data from surveys that suggest the same thing is true of PA anglers.

I wish this was for brook trout, but for what it is, I think it's a good compromise.

So on this concept of allowing the harvest of stocked rainbows while prohibiting the harvest of wild browns in the 12 Class A + STW sections. The more I've thought about it, the more I support it. The data presented today on the concept really solidified that it's a valid approach and supported by biological surveys and angler surveys.

More broadly, this is similar to the regulations Maryland implemented for brook trout. MD still stocks over brook trout in some waters but requires brook trout be released. These 12 Class A + STW sections could set a precedent for something similar down the road for brook trout in PA. I know in MD, they found the vast majority of anglers could correctly identify species and PFBC presented data from surveys that suggest the same thing is true of PA anglers.

I wish this was for brook trout, but for what it is, I think it's a good compromise.
Yea why couldn’t this be done in upper kettle, an entire watershed that either has brook trout in it seasonally or year round that gets insane stockings and insane pressure.

They can’t make brook trout C and R there ……..but no body keeps em(as per PFBC).

Well which one is it? License sales will plummet and the END OF DAYS will come from C and R regs on wild native brook trout Or…….”no one keeps em”?????

The first time any salmonid in the state of Pennsylvania will receive species specific protections it will be an invasive species not a native salmonid listed in the state wild life action plan.

Oh and what did that plan say about the fish we are giving protections again?

80A827E6 A78F 4B67 9505 82D1E876F784

Now like silverfox I am not against managing these waters for wild invasive brown trout(i fish em their fun), and there are not really brook trout in these waters so I am in no way saying brown trout should be removed from those 12 streams. I am simply pointing out the irony that this was not for wild native brook trout and instead doing what other states are doing for wild native brook trout but with brown trout it as silvefox mentioned. But this is PA it shouldn’t suprise us, little J and spring are very similar to watershed level management brook trout get in MD, just for brown trout. Again they have high social value and I am not in favor of taking away those fisheries just giving brook trout something similar in terms of current protections from stocking and (effectively because only browns in those streams) species specific C and R in kettle or other large watersheds.

That is pretty darn sad. I don't know how you can be an angler and not differentiate between brook, brown, and rainbow.

Although we had a thread just recently where I'm still not sure if those people could identify the species....

Some other fish CAN be challenging.... But the different trout...... Come on folks.
Sorry had to bring this back up.
I saw these rod tubes and thought, oh neat. A little too pricey for me but still cool .

Then a saw the second pic....and thought of this conversation.

🤣

That rainbow trout sure looks strange.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408-220956.png
    Screenshot_20230408-220956.png
    447.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230408-221006.png
    Screenshot_20230408-221006.png
    494.9 KB · Views: 25
Sorry had to bring this back up.
I saw these rod tubes and thought, oh neat. A little too pricey for me but still cool .

Then a saw the second pic....and thought of this conversation.

🤣

That rainbow trout sure looks strange.
Yeah............ Those aren't right.....lol

Yes.

He's not lying.

For the average Joe Blow, trout fishing AS THEY KNOW IT ceases the moment the stocking trucks stop rolling.

Just take a look on social media. Trout fishing, for the majority of Pennsylvanians, is dusting off your neoprenes, putting on your orange hat, standing next to a bunch of other similarly dressed folks in water that may or may not actually hold fish, smooshing a gob of orange stuff onto a hook, and hoping you catch a PALIMINO.

So yeah, end stocking and trout fishing as most Pennsylvanians know it, ends.

The reality of trout fishing for so many in PA is so far removed from what any wild trout enthusiast thinks about. It has almost nothing in common with trout fishing in parts of the country/world where put and take stocking doesn't take place.

Back