Some Pennsylvania anglers will see stocked and wild trout together on opening day

Wait I'm hearing "thoughts and prayers" for the wild trout isn't working? Interesting...

Here is an outline of all land masses in the world where stocked trout Co exist with wild trout. They do this by singing kumbaya around spring sources once a year.

View attachment 1641229586
This is not accurate. Idaho, as an example, has some the best fishing in the country. They stock over wild populations all the time. The also have created some incredible wild and put an take fisheries where no fish previously existed. And while they don't technically have an opening day. There is a specific date when the regs change to allow fishing on certain types of water and then close again , similar to PA. They also have water where the limit for wild fish is 2 rather than the regular limit (whatever that is these days) they close certain waters for spawning at the appropriate times. But they stock a lot. And they do it over wild populations. This is not a PA only thing as much as everyone wants to play the "woah is me" card. We're not that special. Its a little bit apples and oranges but its the truth, whatever that is these days.

Wild Trout ?? as opposed to domestic vs farm raised as opposed to imported.? I guess if your a purist it makes a difference. Or if you want pure strain fish from a watershed it would upset the gene pool if stocked trout were introduced.? There are those hybrids that some want to add to a list of trout I caught, Palominos , Goldens, Splakes and Brown/Bows, whatever. We have manipulated the environment to suit our wants, not needs, for years. Yes, mistakes have been made in stocking species or turning them loose on a whim. Has it been detrimental ,? that's a case for some PhD study? I would guess at any pure strain Brook Trout ,from the Ice Age, might exist in some pocket in the ANF, but most likely not. I just fish for trout, mostly for dumb ones that I can fool. GG
Excuse my ramblings.

This is not accurate. Idaho, as an example, has some the best fishing in the country. They stock over wild populations all the time. The also have created some incredible wild and put an take fisheries where no fish previously existed. And while they don't technically have an opening day. There is a specific date when the regs change to allow fishing on certain types of water and then close again , similar to PA. They also have water where the limit for wild fish is 2 rather than the regular limit (whatever that is these days) they close certain waters for spawning at the appropriate times. But they stock a lot. And they do it over wild populations. This is not a PA only thing as much as everyone wants to play the "woah is me" card. We're not that special. Its a little bit apples and oranges but its the truth, whatever that is these days.
Does Idaho stock hatchery trout over native cutthroat trout? If so, where?

Does Idaho have recs for specific species?

Has idaho done removal and reintroduction projects?

Does Idaho have entire watersheds managed without stocking?

Does Idaho deny brown trout are invasive like PFBC did on the news last night and soley blame climate change and human activities on the land.

Yea everyone stocks over natural repro in some places but it takes a special kind of incompetence from a conservation standpoint to lower yourself to what we are doing in PA right now as far as the fragmentation, misinformation, and managing simply “wild trout”.

Take it up with the legislature. They apparently thought that amortized over the lives of the hatcheries (or the upgrades) and when considering the service that the hatcheries provide to a high proportion of the 70% of adult anglers who purchase trout stamps and the unknown number of children who also fish for stocked trout (we know there are 35,000 kids just on Mentored Youth Days) the expense was worth it.
I agree that a lot of these issues rest with the legislature to begin with. I think it's pretty safe to surmise. and say. that interference from the legislature is, and has been, a large part of the problems with the day to day running of the PFBC for years. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I agree their part of it, regardless when you factor in the growing greener money and the 501k trout stamps sold, tax payers contributed $54 per $10 Trout stamp purchased.

It isn't an outline where they stock over wild populations, it's an outline where the agencies say the wild trout and stocked trout "coexist" to a degree none are burdened, especially coexisting with kumbaya vibes 🤭

It's the only place in the world this happens. Didn't you read the article?

Last edited:
Does Idaho have recs for specific species?

Has idaho done removal and reintroduction projects?

Does Idaho have entire watersheds managed without stocking?

Does Idaho deny brown trout are invasive like PFBC did on the news last night and soley blame climate change and human activities on the land.

Yea everyone stocks over natural repro in some places but it takes a special kind of incompetence from a conservation standpoint to lower yourself to what we are doing in PA right now as far as the fragmentation, misinformation, and managing simply “wild trout”.
Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Dear Fly-Swatter,

A two-tiered fishery? Dump stockers on wild ones, hope and pray that the wild ones don't get caught, and then when the truck chasers stop fishing the wild fish have the whole Summer, Fall, and Winter to recuperate. How ridiculous an idea is that?

I have a better, and far less stupid idea. The hatchery trucks can just stop at a Sheetz, WAWA, or Uni-Mart and just auction off the fish in buckets to solve their fiscal problems. That way the pasty fish lovers get the goods, and the self-sustaining trout can catch a break.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
When I used to assist in stocking, I used to tell a lot of the clowns who scurried after us that very thing. Usually it would go something like: Just hold your boot out and I'll dump 5 fish in it. Figured it would save them some time, not have them bitching that they weren't catching anything, and I wouldn't need to tell them to get the hell out of my way.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.
yes
no
no
i don't know
let me know when you're done moving the goal posts.

this was the post.
Here is an outline of all land masses in the world where stocked trout Co exist with wild trout
its not true.

Sorry, I had to indirectly reply to FS's post through 6ft's post as I cannot read FS's posts.

Oh yeah. Because you know, making the harvest of wild browns illegal will TOTALLY stop someone on opening day from filling their strangers with browns....

yes
no
no
i don't know
let me know when you're done moving the goal posts.

this was the post.
Here is an outline of all land masses in the world where stocked trout Co exist with wild trout
its not true.

Sorry, I had to indirectly reply to FS's post through 6ft's post as I cannot read FS's posts.
I didn't move goal posts at all. You just tried to put it on a new field.🤷

"Coexistence theory is a framework to understand how competitor traits can maintain species diversity and stave-off competitive exclusion even among similar species living in ecologically similar environments. Coexistence theory explains the stable coexistence of species as an interaction between two opposing forces: fitness differences between species, which should drive the best-adapted species to exclude others within a particular ecological niche, and stabilizing mechanisms, which maintains diversity via niche differentiation."

I figured since we were discussing biological niches it would be understood or "common knowledge" we would be using the biological definition.

Last edited:
you figgerd, didya?

this was the post.
its not true.

you figgerd, didya?

this was the post.
its not true.
No, this was the post:

"Here is an outline of all land masses in the world where stocked trout Co exist with wild trout. They do this by singing kumbaya around spring sources once a year."

In the past you have had trouble understanding vintage, now coexist, so im probably able to conclude you don't know hyperbole. The last sentence made it obvious, so i thought.

Since you want to be literal, What do you think this quote meant?

"If the stocking experiment confirms that hatchery trout and wild trout can indeed coexist, he said, those waters could support a two-tier fishery where anglers seeking stocked trout can harvest fish in the spring and spin and fly fishing anglers can tempt wild trout in the summer."

You don't think the PFBC knew until now stocked trout and wild trout were in the same watersheds ? 😂well i guess they still don't know, the stocking experiment isn't "confirmed" yet.

I've included the full definition of coexistence theory with links so you can click around on it, if you need to.

Last edited:
I would agree that many anglers cannot tell the difference between species or identify them correctly
That is pretty darn sad. I don't know how you can be an angler and not differentiate between brook, brown, and rainbow.

Although we had a thread just recently where I'm still not sure if those people could identify the species....

Some other fish CAN be challenging.... But the different trout...... Come on folks.

That is pretty darn sad. I don't know how you can be an angler and not differentiate between brook, brown, and rainbow.

Although we had a thread just recently where I'm still not sure if those people could identify the species....

Some other fish CAN be challenging.... But the different trout...... Come on folks.
I've seen and talked to anglers that can't.

This one guy on social media got pretty irritate at me when i told him that all the long videos he was making about catching native brook trout didn't have any brook trout in them.

I was in disbelief when i got the "I've been angling for 40 years, i know what a brook trout is, you're an idiot."

They were all clearly brown trout 🤷

I could understand a beginner not being able to tell a brookie from a brown, but a rainbow looks nothing like either of them. No excuse for not knowing a rainbow.

Back