So, how many rods do you need?

Hiding things from your spouse gives tacit permission for the spouse to hide things from you. Don't spring that trap.
We have 3 kids so its not like we have any extra money to blow anyhow.

Let me give you something even better then, marry a woman where you dont have to bother going thru with any of this!!
Or don't get married. I want to run freeeeeeee!

I could care less what my wife buys that I know or don't know about because she has her reasons for wanting this or that I don't understand like she doesn't understand why I want so much fishing tackle.

Neither of us does anything ridiculous :rolleyes: and I'm sure she really knows that I have a lot more than I've told her about.

It's all good and I have 35 years of marriage as proof. :)

Looking at your post about the rods you own, I suspected that.
Just for clarification, I have other rods. Nothing exciting or expensive, but I don't use them unless I take the kids or my wife out with me, and the kids would rather toss spinners anyhow.

I really could buy one right now if I wanted to, but I don't have a need.

Now waders are a different story. I am in desperate need of new waders and boots, but the price tags for the good stuff have me hesitant to pull the trigger at Christmas time.

Edit: also just for clarification, I have a fly tying material problem that I'd rather not discuss. 😬

Just for clarification, I have other rods. Nothing exciting or expensive, but I don't use them unless I take the kids or my wife out with me, and the kids would rather toss spinners anyhow.

I really could buy one right now if I wanted to, but I don't have a need.

Now waders are a different story. I am in desperate need of new waders and boots, but the price tags for the good stuff have me hesitant to pull the trigger at Christmas time.

Edit: also just for clarification, I have a fly tying material problem that I'd rather not discuss. 😬
Just banter. Thank you for taking it well. Treat yourself to a new rod man.. if you want.

Waders have been p***ing me off lately. I bought a pair recently that I felt I paid too much for and tore them on an outing to central PA a month later. That fishing trip only gave me a meager ten inch fallfish I could have picked up anywhere in SEPA. I bought another Cabela's set that seems to accommodate fat people better (should have gone with that set in the first place and it was half the amount of the brand name waders I bought and tore).

Fly gear has been a financial problem at this point that and I seriously think it'd be cheaper if I did hard drugs. My high and mighty self might be getting kicked down a few notches here shortly. With the advent of my temp job closing and the fact that my car is on the verge of either engine or transmission failure (maybe both?) I may just eat the whole humble pie. My recommendation with buying gear in general is to get your personal life figured out first before going completely crazy with gear. I did life backwards. I've started my list with the order that I will sell things. My watch would fetch the most, but that's going to my grave as it is my favorite watch and the story behind getting it is a memory I rather enjoy (besides the loan).

Not sure how many fly rods I own, but as far as my SO is concerned I always got an "unbelievable deal" on every one of em

Not sure how many fly rods I own, but as far as my SO is concerned I always got an "unbelievable deal" on every one of em
And then you proceed to run the rod over with your truck...

my clumsiness might just be the best justification for purchasing “one more rod” I could offer.
You're dangerous for rods, I'm dangerous for waders.

Well, my passion for ffishing long ago trumped any other concerns. My quest for optimizing situations is such that I've bought specific rods for specific pools. In two cases, I even bought new sticks trying for one particular two-footer on the Beaverkill. And when I finally got him to eat a para emerger in a complex multiple hatch/spinner fall, after a 25 minute fight into the backing, it turned out to not even be a salmonid.

We saw a guy on Pine Creek many years ago. He actually had a flyrod sticking out of his waders and was fishing with a spinning rod. Still cracks me up when I think about it.
That very well could have been my dad. Do you remember where on Pine!? I know of at least ONE time he did this...and even know the hole where he did it, as he loves to tell the story.

That very well could have been my dad. Do you remember where on Pine!? I know of at least ONE time he did this...and even know the hole where he did it, as he loves to tell the story.
It had to be 15-20 years ago. I remember the guy had a beard and looked like he was in his 20s. I don't remember where exactly but I know it was somewhere between Waterville and the bridge closest to Route 220. (Nothing's a bad idea if it works.)

Nope that wasn't him haha! My dad did this around the Gaines area. Saw a big bruiser sitting at the mouth of a trib, couldn't get him to take any flies...so he resorted to less civilized tactics.

It would have been even simpler if he followed the lead of my nephew...

I got him into fly fishing and we met up a small Class A in Berks. He was fishing a 3wt Cabela's CGR I bought him and we came to a long, deep poof that was formally some kind of impoundment and all of a sudden he banging fish.

When I asked him what he was using, he said a "spinner" which sort of shocked me because I wasn't sure he remembered the entomology lessons I gave him.

When I asked to see it, he showed me one of these.

He said he used one all the time because it was light as a feather and cast just fine on his fly rod... ;)

Last edited:
Nope that wasn't him haha! My dad did this around the Gaines area. Saw a big bruiser sitting at the mouth of a trib, couldn't get him to take any flies...so he resorted to less civilized tactics.
Well, did he catch it?

Seems like we "need" all the rods when we purchase them, but real only need (find benefit) from a few.
Speaking for myself I have gone from 16 down to 6

My trout fishing is limited to 3. A 10ft 3 wt for nymping, a 9 ft 5wt all around used for Indy nymphing and dry flies. And an 8ft 4 wt glass rod for late season dry fly fishing.

The other 3 are a 10ft 9wt salmon rod, a 9 ft 3 wt Sage XP that was a wedding gift from my wife, and a bamboo rod that belonged to my uncle. This trio gets used sparingly and aside from the salmon rod have more sentimental value than actual utility.

Getting away from my gear hording as I age.

Back