So, how many rods do you need?

Need? I had that covered in 2019. Now want, that is where things get interesting.

For PA I'd say that 3 rods is about as low as I'd go. I'd want a dedicated nymph rod that tight-lines as well as well as tosses an indicator. I'd like a dedicated dry/small creek rod, and a streamer rod.

My own quiver is as follows (all rods are carbon unless specified otherwise);

Tiny creeks;

1wt 8'2" (extremely short range with loading a leader just out of the tip)

Slightly larger tiny creeks;

2wt 8ft (needed for tight confines where short quick casts are needed)

3wt 8ft (for creeks where I will make a lot of roll casts, a fun rod to fish, used when I have a bit more room to work with) (also may be a pond rod when panfishing) (this rod is also a 6 piece so it's my travel rod should I need such a thing)

3wt 8'4" (used if I will be nymphing a bit more and where I want some extended reach)

Slightly larger creeks;

4wt 8'3" (where I will do a lot of roll-casting and making a lot of downstream drifts)

Rod I'd like to add to slightly larger creek;

4/5wt 8'2" (reason: just because and I want to compare it to my 4wt 8'3" and see if I can fill the position
that rod does) (it's also made a very prestigious rod builder who I have yet to get a rod from)

Nymph rods;

2wt 10'2" (light indicator work on smaller creeks and light rigs)

3wt 10ft (preferred tight-lining rod)

4wt 11ft (heavy indicator fishing and fishing larger water in general) (light steelhead work in theory) (a great mop tosser!)

Rods I'd like to add to nymph rods;

1wt 10ft for ultra-light stealthy style tight-line fishing

2wt 11ft for reach and to use a rod with more sensitivity than the 4wt

Dry fly rods (distance dry fly rods)

4wt 9ft (standard)

5wt 9ft (heavier wind, larger water) (light streamers too)

Rods I'd like to add to dry fly rods;

4wt 8'6" for more delicate controlled presentations as well fishing in a little closer than what I'd fish with my other dry fly rods) (think the Delaware on a calm day or dapping the Kiddie Pool on the Little Lehigh)

Another 9ft 5wt just because and I want to experiment with another 9ft 5wt on the Delaware (an excuse to buy another rod)

Streamer rods;

9ft 6wt (lighter streamers, also good for transitioning to poppers) (heavier pond blaster)

9ft 8wt (heaver streamers and heavier lines such as intermediates and full sink lines)

Steelhead specific;

6wt 9ft 6inch rod (used for places where I want to cast a little further as this rod has more energy than my 7wt 10ft) (a good light streamer rod too)

7wt 10ft (standard bobber lobber but I hate how this rod fishes close)

9ft 8wt (different than the streamer 9ft 8wt) (used for tighter confines)

Rod I'd like to add to steelhead;

Custom glass rod for fishing tight quarters. I don't know what configuration I want but am thinking 6wt in the 7-7'6" range. Basically I want something that loads up fast and I think it would be so fun to fish streamers on a short glass rod using a sink tip extension. I think this rod would throw these streamers better than my longer carbon rods would at close range. I just want a roll-casting machine and I much prefer the quicker loading capabilities at close range. This would eliminate my 9ft 8wt steelhead specific rod. I do want to retire that rod as it's rare and I don't think I could fix it (I've had two scares with it this year)

Stripers (if I attempt it)

7wt 9ft (rod has an incredible amount of fish fighting power) (lighter work minimal to no wind)

9wt 9ft (heavier work, wind)

Salmon;

10wt 9ft cheapo that I don't care about smacking with shot

Rods I'd like to add to salmon;

12wt 8'6" glass rod for the close quarters nymphing on the S.R. This would be a big game saltwater rod for me too.

Stupid salmon option;

Saltwater marlin rod to horse them in if they start p***ing me off (I want my meat)

I left out the rods that I will fish to match the configurations when fishing with friends. Also, note that I may not have fished some of these rods this is just my present loadout for what I would fish given what I now own and the understanding of the fisheries I now have.
Who needs roof racks, right?

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 8
Just a note to any newcomers.....this is a little bit overkill. You can successfully enjoy much of the fishing opportunities in PA with one or two fly rods. As I suggested earlier, a 9' 6 weight will get it done. If you had to break it down further, a 9' 4 weight and an 8 weight will work beautifully for almost every opportunity in the state.
Yes, three fly rods, what an inconceivably high number of rods to own, pure lunacy!

Yes, three fly rods, what an inconceivably high number of rods to own, pure lunacy!
Who owns three fly rods? I own 7, maybe. But, I usually only fish a few of them often. It is nice to have a loaner or two, though.

The thread is about how many you need. My answer is one - a 9' 6weight. That is the only rod that you need.

I just counted like 24 rods in your "quiver" in your one post. How many of those actually get fished on a regular basis? It is okay to collect them, but you should consider yourself a collector. To truly build an intimate bond and history with a certain rod is something different entirely.

I am rather a minimalist, however, and actually would like to decrease the amount of stuff I own.

Here he is shaved, working a nice hole with "sideways" Euro nymphing techniques
Ah yes, the quad rod nymph technique, quadruple your chances of a hookup!

I have owned each of the rods in the photo, just in different wts/lengths. I am about to part with the green and gray Hardy (right side, although mine has a fighting butt). That H3F 10'6" 3wt (right side) is a dud and I was glad to be rid of it. Orvis should never have tried developing nymph tapers using the H3 graphite without altering it to better suite nymphing style. Now that I think about it, there is a few H3's that I am not content with.

Tom, you know me well!

Ah yes, the quad rod nymph technique, quadruple your chances of a hookup!

I have owned each of the rods in the photo, just in different wts/lengths. I am about to part with the green and gray Hardy (right side, although mine has a fighting butt). That H3F 10'6" 3wt (right side) is a dud and I was glad to be rid of it. Orvis should never have tried developing nymph tapers using the H3 graphite without altering it to better suite nymphing style. Now that I think about it, there is a few H3's that I am not content with.

Tom, you know me well!
Why not keep them and install hip side rod holders to troll streamers behind you?

To truly build an intimate bond and history with a certain rod is something different entirely.

This is well said and something only some people understand. It's either because they cant sample and purchase a large amount of rods due to funds and then fall in love with what they have or because a person learned this lesson already.

There is something to be said for knowing a rod so well that you know it's every capability and limitation, what it's good at and what it's not and finally how to make something work that shouldn't.

Practice and love come from using it often.

Who needs roof racks, right?
Tom, is that a picture of Schedule-20 PVC and is it yours? Sched-40 is bomb-proof, pricey, and way more than I need. Trouble is, I can't find any Sched-20 locally, since nobody uses central vacuums anymore, and thin-wall PVC doesn't meet plumbing codes. I could buy online, but I don't need a minimum order of 10 pieces that are 20' long... at least not yet.

Who owns three fly rods? I own 7, maybe. But, I usually only fish a few of them often. It is nice to have a loaner or two, though.

The thread is about how many you need. My answer is one - a 9' 6weight. That is the only rod that you need.

I just counted like 24 rods in your "quiver" in your one post. How many of those actually get fished on a regular basis? It is okay to collect them, but you should consider yourself a collector. To truly build an intimate bond and history with a certain rod is something different entirely.

I am rather a minimalist, however, and actually would like to decrease the amount of stuff I own.
I mean I think 3 is about as little as I would recommend, and I don't think it's too much of a financial commitment. Say you start at a 9ft 6wt, you can choose to get the next rod any time you are ready. Heck, with the 9ft 6wt, I think 2 rods could be minimal. Have the 9ft 6wt and a small creek rod. You could nymph on the 9ft 6wt but I and many others will strongly recommend getting a nymph-specific rod that not only has the qualities and performance attributes much better suited for nymphing but will also make nymphing that much easier. So yeah, 3, I rest my case. 3 is also the holy number...

I think if I had to own just one, a 9ft 6wt would be it though so you are spot on in that regard. Fishing tiny creeks with it would be super annoying but I could manage it. The 9ft 6wt is just on the cusp of still being able to toss dries with a tiny bit of delicacy. I won't even say the 9ft 6wt is light for steelhead, it's totally doable, heck I fished my 4wt 11ft on the first day of my steelhead trip but I didn't hook anything so I can't offer an opinion on the viability of using that kind of rod to land that kind of fish. I talked to some fisher gal who stated she had a 9ft 6wt and that she was taking is steelheading and told me her boyfriend told her it was too light for steelhead and that she would have to revive the fish after each battle and essentially kill them. I had to stifle a laugh. People just need to know how to fight fish properly. Stu Apte landed tarpon on 12 lb. test and had significantly reduced fish landing times than most other anglers. In fact I think he holds some records for fish fighting times. People need to learn side pressure, how to make the fish uncomfortable, knowing the max breaking strength of their tippet, and messing with fish's equilibrium instead of just taking the fish for a walk. Long story short, 6wt is a viable steelhead tool.

As for rods what I've stated isn't even all that I have. I estimate 40% of the rods I have probably don't see water. I also didn't include the rods I use that I try and pair with other anglers who are using similar configurations. Some of the rods listed are rods I don't own (as annotated).

Obviously I am not a minimalist and will choose a rod curtailed for the destination and conditions because it's fun to really try and refine the perfect rod for said body of water and conditions than saying let me just use this one rod for everything, even though I will agree that the individual wielding that one rod their entire life will probably best me because I may forget how to fish the present rod I am using at the time.

I have 8 rods. two 5 wgts, three 6 wgts and three 8 wgts. I build my own rods. At one point I figured that it cost me between $100 and $125 per rod to build. They're built on Loomis or Lamiglass blanks. The 5 wgts are my trout rods. I don't fish for trout that much anymore so they've been gathering dust for a couple of years. The 6 wgt rods get the most use, but I always reach for the same rod, a 9' 6 wgt built on a Loomis blank when I go out. The 8 wgts get a little more use than the 5 wgt, and one like the 6 wgt gets the most use. That said, I could cover all my fishing, trout, warm water and salt with the 9' 6 wgt.

Tom, is that a picture of Schedule-20 PVC and is it yours? Sched-40 is bomb-proof, pricey, and way more than I need. Trouble is, I can't find any Sched-20 locally, since nobody uses central vacuums anymore, and thin-wall PVC doesn't meet plumbing codes. I could buy online, but I don't need a minimum order of 10 pieces that are 20' long... at least not yet.
Lol no. Just a borrowed picture from the internet. Sorry, I hope you find what you need

Pardon the length of this post, but allow me to offer some tips to you married chaps, especially those just starting out in regards to tackle...

ADWAS

If you are married, there is an aspect of the hobby that isn’t often mentioned in mixed company. It is spoken about in whispers if wives are close by and its mere mention while women are present can widen eyes, raise eyebrows and instantly force a change of subject. For that reason an acronym is used; ADWAS which stands for Avoiding Detection When Acquiring Stuff.

These days many couples are fishing together or spouses are scrutinizing the finances. That makes the challenge of smuggling in a newly acquired rod or reel while the spouse is in the shower or visiting her mother a lost art, especially clandestine capers when longer two-piece rods are involved. For that reason in 2004 statistics were complied and the ADWAS Challenge was created, held annually in a top secret location near Mocanaqua, PA.

I’m not trying to brag but I won the 2017 Gold Medal in rod smuggling by acquiring in excess of 12 new rods without the wife’s knowledge. I also won the 2018 Gold Medal for reels. I am presently in the running for the 2023 Gold Medal in the Fiberglass Rod and Conventional Tackle divisions. For that reason, I can offer you several champion’s tips to help you ADWAS:

Rod Ownership Tip – NEVER buy a rod rack!!! It makes it too easy to count. I use zipper-closure multi rod bag and I stash my rod tubes inside. I have several, all the same color made by the same company. When I go fishing, all she ever sees is me carrying out a green rod bag. Also consider tube socks or covers to hide differences in tube types, rod brands, models or colors.​
Mail Ordering Tips – Have your stuff shipped to work, held at the Post Office, FedEx or UPS or get a friend to receive the contraband for you. Unfortunately telling her that the rod tube just delivered by UPS sitting on the front step “is an old rod that you sent out for repair,” only works once every three years...​

...and that’s if she thinks you’re clumsy.​

How to Acquire New Rods I – If you are in the market for new carpeting, buy a new rod or three and take them to the carpet store and have the carpet guy them stash them inside of the cardboard tube. When they deliver the new carpet your wife will be so excited she’ll never notice you smuggling the new rods out of the carpet tube and into the safety and security of the basement. If you carpet the whole house, you can completely re-outfit yourself with all new rods!​
Keep in mind Spey and surf rods are generally reserved for living room carpet tubes.​

How to Acquire New Rods II – Announce that you have to do some plumbing or electrical work, buy some 10-foot lengths of PVC and smuggle rods in the tubing. If you aren't the DYI type, hire a contractor and have them smuggle in your rods.​

Warranty Cards – If you buy tackle with a warranty that requires mailing in a card, make sure you DON’T leave it lying around with the rest of the outgoing mail or worse yet give it to her to mail. IF the manufacturer mails confirmation of receipt, MAKE sure to ask them to send it to your work address. One particular rod company almost ended my marriage when I received three warranty confirmations on the same day!​

How to Acquire New Reels I – They all look the same to the uninitiated as long as they are the same color. Stick with the same brand and color reels and have your significant other buy you at least ONE as a gift. Then if she sees the Hardy Featherweight or LRH that you bought for yourself, you can tell her it’s the Princess she bought for you.​

BTW - This also works for rods. ;)

How to Acquire New Reels II – Stockpile a collection of old junker reels and break a part on each of them. If you have a new reel on order, come home after a fishing trip swearing like a sailor and show her one of the busted flea market specials, tell her you broke it and need to send it for repair. When the new reel shows up, tell her it is the repaired reel.​

How to Acquire Top Grade Hackle Capes I – Tell her most fly tying stuff like thread, beads, chenille, etc. is cheap, “Yea honey, this junk is like $2.00 a spool or a buck a bag.” Then when you order a few necks at $100+ a pop, tell her you ordered thread and beads.​
How to Acquire Top Grade Hackle Capes II - Likewise make sure to let her know that you ALWAYS need LOTS of feathers for fly tying. Buy a pack of biot quills for $3.00 and while showing them to her say, “Yup, always need lot of feathers like these.” Then when you order three Whiting Gold capes tell her you ordered "feathers."​
How to Acquire Fly Tying Tools – Let her see a Dr. Slick catalog on your desk, tell her you haven’t been feeling well and you may order some vitamins from the catalog. Instead order all new scissors, hair packers, bodkins and hemostats.​
How to Buy Fly Tying Hooks – Buy fancy premium hooks by the 100. The package is about the same size as a 25 pack and you will be sneaking in 4 times the amount at one time. However, leave an empty package of 25 lying around with a $7.50 price tag on it so she thinks a 100 cost $7.50.​
How to Acquire Natural Fur IF She Loves Animals – Go to JoAnn fabric or Michael’s and buy some synthetic craft fur and show it to her. Make sure to buy a natural color like black or brown. Then when you buy seal, rabbit, beaver, deer or any other cute fuzzy animal tell her its craft fur from JoAnn’s or Michael’s.​
How to Acquire New Fly Lines – Watch a Jimmy Houston fishing program with her and when Jimmy talks about changing his $8.50 “fishing line” tell her it’s probably about time you did the same and order a $129 SciAngler Amplitude Textured Infinity.​
How to Acquire a New Vest, Pack or Gear Bag – If you have an outdoor pond, tell the spouse you need some supplies. Have a Fish Pond catalog delivered, tell her they are a pond supply company and order yourself a new vest and a gear bag or two.​
Hiding Your Investments – Buy Goo Gone and black permanent markers so you can either remove the price tags or cross out the price of newly acquired items. Keep receipts in a locked secure location only YOU can access.​

How to Hide Other Purchases – If she asks; Renzetti makes grated cheese, Saracione sells olive oil, Simms is a furniture store; L.L. Bean makes, "Large Lima Beans"; Sage is a herb; Ross allows you to “Dress for Less” and Whiting is the name of that famous girl singer from the 1940’s & 50’s.​

Other Brand Name Catalog Tips – HIDE THEM!!​
How to Justify New Purchases – Buy an old junker of a reel or a beater rod at a flea market and let her see you fiddling with it like you owned it your entire life. Then hide or give it away and tell her you just sold it on eBay so you have the cash to buy a new outfit...​

...It works like a charm!! ;)

How to Visit Fly Shops – If you must visit a fly shop while accompanied by your wife, always point out the nearest woman’s clothing or shoe store and suggest she goes shopping so she isn't bored. Be prepared to feel EXTRA guilty if she meets you back at the car ten minutes after you stash a new Abel reel under the seat exclaiming, “I didn’t buy anything, it was all too expensive.”​

If you buy ANYTHING, make sure it fits in a bag. If she sees you bringing out a bag containing a new $500 reel, tell her it is feathers. If you buy a rod...​
....call a carpet guy, plumber or electrician.​

And NEVER, EVER, EVER let her come inside where she may have an opportunity to see price tags.​
If that happens, it’s over!!​

Good luck boys!!!

You should get those numbers up, 5-6 is more ideal.
Only if you want to give yourself a heart attack. An early demise sure puts a damper on the fishing plans.

I had to do most of the above with my ex wife. I was into Tom Morgan stuff for awhile.

Pardon the length of this post, but allow me to offer some tips to you married chaps, especially those just starting out in regards to tackle...

ADWAS

If you are married, there is an aspect of the hobby that isn’t often mentioned in mixed company. It is spoken about in whispers if wives are close by and its mere mention while women are present can widen eyes, raise eyebrows and instantly force a change of subject. For that reason an acronym is used; ADWAS which stands for Avoiding Detection When Acquiring Stuff.

These days many couples are fishing together or spouses are scrutinizing the finances. That makes the challenge of smuggling in a newly acquired rod or reel while the spouse is in the shower or visiting her mother a lost art, especially clandestine capers when longer two-piece rods are involved. For that reason in 2004 statistics were complied and the ADWAS Challenge was created, held annually in a top secret location near Mocanaqua, PA.

I’m not trying to brag but I won the 2017 Gold Medal in rod smuggling by acquiring in excess of 12 new rods without the wife’s knowledge. I also won the 2018 Gold Medal for reels. I am presently in the running for the 2023 Gold Medal in the Fiberglass Rod and Conventional Tackle divisions. For that reason, I can offer you several champion’s tips to help you ADWAS:

Rod Ownership Tip – NEVER buy a rod rack!!! It makes it too easy to count. I use zipper-closure multi rod bag and I stash my rod tubes inside. I have several, all the same color made by the same company. When I go fishing, all she ever sees is me carrying out a green rod bag. Also consider tube socks or covers to hide differences in tube types, rod brands, models or colors.​
Mail Ordering Tips – Have your stuff shipped to work, held at the Post Office, FedEx or UPS or get a friend to receive the contraband for you. Unfortunately telling her that the rod tube just delivered by UPS sitting on the front step “is an old rod that you sent out for repair,” only works once every three years...​

...and that’s if she thinks you’re clumsy.​

How to Acquire New Rods I – If you are in the market for new carpeting, buy a new rod or three and take them to the carpet store and have the carpet guy them stash them inside of the cardboard tube. When they deliver the new carpet your wife will be so excited she’ll never notice you smuggling the new rods out of the carpet tube and into the safety and security of the basement. If you carpet the whole house, you can completely re-outfit yourself with all new rods!​
Keep in mind Spey and surf rods are generally reserved for living room carpet tubes.​

How to Acquire New Rods II – Announce that you have to do some plumbing or electrical work, buy some 10-foot lengths of PVC and smuggle rods in the tubing. If you aren't the DYI type, hire a contractor and have them smuggle in your rods.​

Warranty Cards – If you buy tackle with a warranty that requires mailing in a card, make sure you DON’T leave it lying around with the rest of the outgoing mail or worse yet give it to her to mail. IF the manufacturer mails confirmation of receipt, MAKE sure to ask them to send it to your work address. One particular rod company almost ended my marriage when I received three warranty confirmations on the same day!​

How to Acquire New Reels I – They all look the same to the uninitiated as long as they are the same color. Stick with the same brand and color reels and have your significant other buy you at least ONE as a gift. Then if she sees the Hardy Featherweight or LRH that you bought for yourself, you can tell her it’s the Princess she bought for you.​

BTW - This also works for rods. ;)

How to Acquire New Reels II – Stockpile a collection of old junker reels and break a part on each of them. If you have a new reel on order, come home after a fishing trip swearing like a sailor and show her one of the busted flea market specials, tell her you broke it and need to send it for repair. When the new reel shows up, tell her it is the repaired reel.​

How to Acquire Top Grade Hackle Capes I – Tell her most fly tying stuff like thread, beads, chenille, etc. is cheap, “Yea honey, this junk is like $2.00 a spool or a buck a bag.” Then when you order a few necks at $100+ a pop, tell her you ordered thread and beads.​
How to Acquire Top Grade Hackle Capes II - Likewise make sure to let her know that you ALWAYS need LOTS of feathers for fly tying. Buy a pack of biot quills for $3.00 and while showing them to her say, “Yup, always need lot of feathers like these.” Then when you order three Whiting Gold capes tell her you ordered "feathers."​
How to Acquire Fly Tying Tools – Let her see a Dr. Slick catalog on your desk, tell her you haven’t been feeling well and you may order some vitamins from the catalog. Instead order all new scissors, hair packers, bodkins and hemostats.​
How to Buy Fly Tying Hooks – Buy fancy premium hooks by the 100. The package is about the same size as a 25 pack and you will be sneaking in 4 times the amount at one time. However, leave an empty package of 25 lying around with a $7.50 price tag on it so she thinks a 100 cost $7.50.​
How to Acquire Natural Fur IF She Loves Animals – Go to JoAnn fabric or Michael’s and buy some synthetic craft fur and show it to her. Make sure to buy a natural color like black or brown. Then when you buy seal, rabbit, beaver, deer or any other cute fuzzy animal tell her its craft fur from JoAnn’s or Michael’s.​
How to Acquire New Fly Lines – Watch a Jimmy Houston fishing program with her and when Jimmy talks about changing his $8.50 “fishing line” tell her it’s probably about time you did the same and order a $129 SciAngler Amplitude Textured Infinity.​
How to Acquire a New Vest, Pack or Gear Bag – If you have an outdoor pond, tell the spouse you need some supplies. Have a Fish Pond catalog delivered, tell her they are a pond supply company and order yourself a new vest and a gear bag or two.​
Hiding Your Investments – Buy Goo Gone and black permanent markers so you can either remove the price tags or cross out the price of newly acquired items. Keep receipts in a locked secure location only YOU can access.​

How to Hide Other Purchases – If she asks; Renzetti makes grated cheese, Saracione sells olive oil, Simms is a furniture store; L.L. Bean makes, "Large Lima Beans"; Sage is a herb; Ross allows you to “Dress for Less” and Whiting is the name of that famous girl singer from the 1940’s & 50’s.​

Other Brand Name Catalog Tips – HIDE THEM!!​
How to Justify New Purchases – Buy an old junker of a reel or a beater rod at a flea market and let her see you fiddling with it like you owned it your entire life. Then hide or give it away and tell her you just sold it on eBay so you have the cash to buy a new outfit...​

...It works like a charm!! ;)

How to Visit Fly Shops – If you must visit a fly shop while accompanied by your wife, always point out the nearest woman’s clothing or shoe store and suggest she goes shopping so she isn't bored. Be prepared to feel EXTRA guilty if she meets you back at the car ten minutes after you stash a new Abel reel under the seat exclaiming, “I didn’t buy anything, it was all too expensive.”​

If you buy ANYTHING, make sure it fits in a bag. If she sees you bringing out a bag containing a new $500 reel, tell her it is feathers. If you buy a rod...​
....call a carpet guy, plumber or electrician.​

And NEVER, EVER, EVER let her come inside where she may have an opportunity to see price tags.​
If that happens, it’s over!!​

Good luck boys!!!
This is by far the best advice I have ever heard, more important than any fishing tactic

This is by far the best advice I have ever heard, more important than any fishing tactic

Earlier this year I snagged a rod I've wanted for a number of years and it was scheduled to be delivered on a day when my wife unexpectedly decided to work from home.

Being the ADWAS expert I am, I always get tracking info emailed to me so I quick called my Post Office and told them to hold the package and I'd pick it up later that day. (y)

I did the ADWAS thing a few other times this year. What sucks is, it's Christmas time and the wife keeps asking me what I want. Unbeknownst to her I already bought everything I wanted so I tell her, "nothing"...

But I can't tell her why.... ;)

Earlier this year I snagged a rod I've wanted for a number of years and it was scheduled to be delivered on a day when my wife unexpectedly decided to work from home.

Being the ADWAS expert I am, I always get tracking info emailed to me so I quick called my Post Office and told them to hold the package and I'd pick it up later that day. (y)

I did the ADWAS thing a few other times this year. What sucks is, it's Christmas time and the wife keeps asking me what I want. Unbeknownst to her I already bought everything I wanted so I tell her, "nothing"...

But I can't tell her why.... ;)
After 36 years of wedded blitz bliss, my darling bride considers my purchases of all things fishing as a trade-off to just get me out of the house (to go fishing) or keep me in the cellar (to work on gear). My part of the deal is to temper purchases with frugality borne out of being raised by parents who were kids in the Depression. Building rods for her babies and grand-babies and checking off Christmas and birthday present list items for her babies (fly-tying materials and tools), also helps keep things nice.

I know everyone is different, but man if I had to hide buying stuff from my wife I don't think I would feel to good about the long term outlook on my marriage.

Last edited:
Back