So, how many rods do you need?

It would have been even simpler if he followed the lead of my nephew...

I got him into fly fishing and we met up a small Class A in Berks. He was fishing a 3wt Cabela's CGR I bought him and we came to a long, deep poof that was formally some kind of impoundment and all of a sudden he banging fish.

When I asked him what he was using, he said a "spinner" which sort of shocked me because I wasn't sure he remember the entomology lessons I gave him.

When I asked to see it, he showed me one of these.

He said he used one all the time because it was light as a feather and cast just fine on his fly rod... ;)
I ain't giving him any ideas! Lord knows, he will actually start doing this!

Well over the years I have collected more rods than I need . I love casting all of them from fast action to bamboo. I love seeing and feeling how each maker has designed the rods and tapers . About 4 years ago I built my first rod which lead to my addiction with building rods, which has furtherd my collection of rods and rod making tools such as metal lathe , wood lathe , rod wrapper , and drying motors . I love digging through my closet and picking a rod and fishing it most of the summer . I always find one that surprises me. I am very lucky to have amazing wife who doesn’t understand my rod collecting and building, but knows it is something I enjoy and deals with it . My chainsaw collection is what she doesn’t understand !! And pushing her over the edge!!

Last edited:
If I'm on foot, I'll have an idea of stream size and flows. Typically take 1 rod and make it work.

With that said, I've become lazy and do most fishing from a boat because I can get away from people if necessary or possible. In that case, I carry everything I can fit in the rod holders. Might have 2 pre-rigged 10' 6wts for nymphing, a 690 for bigger dries / distance / wind, two 590 setups for dries and maybe even two 790 for streamers. All depends on the time of year and what we might encounter during the float. Try not to include streamers often because that stuff is for losers

Back