So, how many rods do you need?

Just to elaborate a bit on what I said earlier, there’s nothing wrong with collecting rods (I’ve probably got at least 7-8 of em, including some pretty ritzy classic cane that would likely put me further into the “old man’’ category than my age might first indicate ) -

However, I think it’s really important for beginners and intermediate anglers to pick a rod and learn its ins and outs. I’ve fished rods that I hated, put them aside, then picked them up again a year or two later and was shocked by how much my casting and fish fighting had changed and how I now really like them.

A consistent, streamlined, dialed in approach is worth more than 12 of the latest high modulus graphite offerings from the biggest names in fly fishing. You’re not playing through 36 at Augusta- so you don’t need a full complement of woods, irons, wedges and a fancy putter to get the job done.

I’d be cautious about collecting modern fly rods though, because it’s highly likely even the highest end offerings will probably be obsolete trash in a few years 😂

How many rods do I need? Well that's easy one 8' 5wt would probably be good for 90% of my fishing.

How many rods do I have or want to have.....a lot. Think women and shoes, you can never have enough!

Just curious, you never get nervous leaving one in the car?
I've decided against that long ago after knowing people that had rods stolen.
I hate leaving extra gear in my vehicle but like others, if I am driving a couple of hours to fish for the day, I almost always have an extra rod and reel. I try to keep any extra gear out of easy view but that’s not always easy. It’s the chance you take when traveling and doing most anything. I will say I feel more comfortable than if I was leaving my vehicle parked in a parking lot in most cities. Especially if there are other fishermen in the vicinity. I trust them more than a lot of others.

The comments appear to consistently allude that nearly all of us started out this activity with a "basic" flyrod that was used exclusively for many years. That is, until we discovered, or had it pointed out to us, that there are other available configurations, brand names, models, colors, handle shapes, etc. (ad nauseum) that might be more suitable to specific situations. I looked for the "one flyrod to rule them all" thread. I know it's on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

The comments appear to consistently allude that nearly all of us started out this activity with a "basic" flyrod that was used exclusively for many years. That is, until we discovered, or had it pointed out to us, that there are other available configurations, brand names, models, colors, handle shapes, etc. (ad nauseum) that might be more suitable to specific situations. I looked for the "one flyrod to rule them all" thread. I know it's on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
It's a noble quest for the rod as well of the thread, akin to the search for "the Holy Grail", Arc of The Covenant, etc. It must be out there somewhere, we just need to have faith and never give up. In the meanwhile, use the equipment you have, it's more about the knowledge and skills you've acquired over the years, as well as many other factors, than it is about any rod and reel you'll ever acquire, regardless of what it costs, or the "current' trend.

Purchased my first two fly rods in 1972 and have gotten quite a few more since.
I enjoy matching different rods to various types of fishing 🎣
Fresh,Salt, Lakes, Streams, Beach and Bay can utilize multiple systems.

I only have three fly rods. One is my Browning Silaflex 2 piece, 8' 4wt, which I haven't used in many years. The other two are Saint Croix Imperial 4 piece, 7' 3wt rods. I have one as a back-up in case of breakage. It's all I need for the small streams that fish.

2 rods. A 9’ 5 weight for trout and a 9’ 8 weight for carp, Smallies, Stripers, etc. I would even love to hook into a Muskie on my 8 weight someday.

However, I must admit that with planning my 3rd trip to Alaska this summer in the past 6 years, chasing salmon with the fly rod, busted rods for whatever stupid reason aren’t easy to replace in AK. I do own 4 eight weight rods (2-nine footers and 2-10 footers), they will all be with me on the plane as my “personal item” this summer in my way to AK. 😉

It's only paranoia until something actually happens. We still hide valuables and lock vehicles even if we happen to park in the middle of nowhere. It's not likely that someone can't figure out that I may have fishing gear, when I'm parked next to a creek or in a fishing access parking lot.

As someone who has been involved in security my entire life, it's about NEVER, EVER, EVER letting your guard down, statistics, soft targets and advertising...

Case-in-point:: Two cars parked along a creek, one is Lexus, one is an older Hyundai; the Lexus has a TU license plate holder, Winston stickers on the back and owner is putting on his waders with the back propped open...

There are no guarantees in life but my bet is a creep with limited time and a desire to score in that limited time will choose the Lexus. Yet if I drive down to any decent stream that attracts fly anglers, there will ALWAYS be a "Lexus" in the parking area...

Which in my experience means, if you DON'T want to get robbed, park your Hyundai in the vicinity.... ;)

As someone who has been involved in security my entire life, it's about NEVER, EVER, EVER letting your guard down, statistics, soft targets and advertising...

Case-in-point:: Two cars parked along a creek, one is Lexus, one is an older Hyundai; the Lexus has a TU license plate holder, Winston stickers on the back and owner is putting on his waders with the back propped open...

There are no guarantees in life but my bet is a creep with limited time and a desire to score in that limited time will choose the Lexus. Yet if I drive down to any decent stream that attracts fly anglers, there will ALWAYS be a "Lexus" in the parking area...

Which in my experience means, if you DON'T want to get robbed, park your Hyundai in the vicinity.... ;)
Have you seen my Hyundai parked by the stream? P.S. I still lock it!

Jeez…..now I feel like I need a beater car just to go fishing!🤔

True story...

I usually inherit my wife's cars when she gets the urge for something new.

Last year my 4th deer strike in 3 years totalled my Honda and I had to get a new ride. I refused my spouse's offer of her beautiful Lexus saying, "I can't park a fancy car like that by a creek in the middle of nowhere."

I'm now driving another Honda and had a Hyundai before that. ;)

In 40 years at this, I've got about 10

Mainly because I started off with 2 piece rods.
Then as 4 piece hit the scen, I started replacing existing rods with them.
So much easier to carry around.

But I mainly use just 3 rods now -
7' 3 weight for small streams.
8'6" 4 weight for medium size water.
9'5 weight for large streams.

For occasional trips to Erie, I use a 10' 7 weight.

Also purchased a 2 - and even 1 - weight rod - when they first came out.
Was enamored with the novelty of them then
But It didn't take too long to figure out that they weren't very practical.
And they now sit gathering dust

Last edited:
For trout fishing I need exactly one. For LMB, SMB, pannies, stripers, carp, pickerel, crappie and shad I need an additional seven. Not sure why, that’s just the way it worked out.

Just curious, you never get nervous leaving one in the car?
I've decided against that long ago after knowing people that had rods stolen.
out of sight out of mind. i keep mine in rod tubes tucked away out of sight. the guys who carry rods on top of their cars in how made PVC tubes is asking for trouble IMO. anyone can break a lock with a dremel in a matter of seconds.

i also dont advertise my vehichle with a bunch of stickers of high end gear, such as simms sticker, the gloomis bone fish, etc...although i have those things, i dont advertise that i have it on/in my vehicle.

out of sight out of mind. i keep mine in rod tubes tucked away out of sight. the guys who carry rods on top of their cars in how made PVC tubes is asking for trouble IMO. anyone can break a lock with a dremel in a matter of seconds.

i also dont advertise my vehichle with a bunch of stickers of high end gear, such as simms sticker, the gloomis bone fish, etc...although i have those things, i dont advertise that i have it on/in my vehicle.
I just have college stickers on my car…that way they know I’m poor!

Dremel how about an open ended wrench or screwdriver let alone a cordless Sawzall.

I usually carry a spare rod too, but I'm driving a 23+ year old Jeep with clear coat peeling and rust spots.

Last edited:
How many rods do I need? Depends on who's asking. I think I have my wife convinced I need them all. ;)

95% of the time I'm using either a 10' 3 wt for nymphing or an 8'6" 4 wt for dries.

But it's the other 5% that fills up the rod rack. A 6 wt for throwing big dry/droppers on occasional trips out west. Small stream rods. Bigger river rod. And of course the "needed" backups for all those.

Truth is, if I wasn't such a gear junkie I'd probably be content with just a 9' 5 wt. for trout.

Back