Single Hand vs Switch/Spey on Erie Tribs

JWsmalls

JWsmalls

I'm new to steelheading. As far as rods are concerned, I know that two handed rods are the tool of choice. Is there as big of a necessity for them on the Erie Tribs (what I will mostly be fishing) or will my 9' 8wt be sufficient? Should I get a switch and take both?

The rod of fad, not nearly the rod of choice. At the Salmon River in the lower section of stream entering into the estuary, it might be fun if you can find room.

I think a two hander is way too much for all of the erie tribs in pa. I also think a switch is too much but I know plenty of people will disagree. For med to small great lakes tribs (erie's pa tribs), a 10' 7 wt will allow you to do nymph and swing with ease. If you are a decent caster, you won't need more. Your 9' 8wt will also work fine.

Most guys with double hand and switch rods on the sr are clueless and just get in the way. It's way too crowded in most spots and again if you are a decent caster, a single hand rod gives you more than enough range.

If you don't want to buy a new rod, what you have is fine. If you do, I'd go with a 10' 7wt singlehand rod.

I can think of one erie trib in ny, and one big river between erie and Ontario where a double hander gives you a legitimate advantage. Other than that I think it's a fad and on crowded streams most switch/double hand guys are using the longer rod to compensate for their poor casting skills. I think it's inconsiderate to use rods this large on crowded areas.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm going to be using an SA Mastery Steelhead line. Do you recommend purchasing any sink tips or sinking poly leaders for swinging flies, or will split shot work?

9' rods work well, and agree switch are too much. Split shot will work. remember to stagger your shot. Se you up here soon. Tribs are starting to show some fish after rain events but are out of the streams as the week progress with no rain in the next week or so.

JWsmalls wrote:
I'm new to steelheading. As far as rods are concerned, I know that two handed rods are the tool of choice. Is there as big of a necessity for them on the Erie Tribs (what I will mostly be fishing) or will my 9' 8wt be sufficient? Should I get a switch and take both?

Just read the other thread.

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Paflyfish-General-Forum/Finally-made-the-jump-/2,39842.html

Tell you the truth, a 9' 6wt is entirely sufficient for the PA tribs and several streams in OH an NY.

CRB - looking forward to getting up there!

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

I have used a 9' 8 wt for steelies in Ohio since I was about 12. I still have it and plan to use it, but I did just pick up my first switch rod. I don't like to fish crowded water though. ;)

Oh and if Im not using that its either an 11' spinning or 13' center pin. So either way, the rod is big!

It isn't the size of the rod, but the motion of the fly line...

that demands sufficient room between you and the next angler.

If you set on getting that SA line, get it one line size heavy.

You can use whatever you have or if you want to try something new go for it. I've used a 9'six, a 10'seven and currently use an 11' six switch. It has nothing to do with my inability to cast either. It's great for fighting the fish. Use whatever you like and whatever feels right to you. I agree with not busting out snake roll casts at the mouth of Walnut creek with a dozen people within spitting distince, but if you walk and find some water to fish I think you'd be happy with a switch rod. That's an opinion. I don't have all of the "facts" like everyone else on here. I just fish a lot, catch a lot of steelhead every season, and am telling you what I use and what I like. PM me if you have any other questions that I can share my opinion on! Good luck!

I started catching every steelhead I did catch on a 8 ft. 5 wt. Then I caught all of my steelhead on a 9 ft 5 wt. Then I got a 9 ft. 6 wt RPL and that's all I use for steelhead in Erie County now. Maybe Conneaut Creek can use a bigger rod, but nothing in PA. However, you could use one of those specialized nymphing rods. I use the 6 wt because it is easier the flop and fling sucker spawn, shot and a floating indicator with the heavier line. You can beat any steelhead on Erie creeks with a 5 wt. if you learned how to beat fish like this.

If you're new, a bit of advice. FIGHT THAT DAMM FISH! When you're trying to get it in, get your rod low, below your waist. Put the butt in your gut and fight with the lower 1/2 of the rod. Once it's done tearing-#censor#, starting exerting your will on the fish, and your will should be to beat the fish and get it in fast. You don't need a heavy rod for this, just use the one you have. You will be much happier with a lighter rod after roll casting a sucker spawn rig with AB shot all day. It isn't the arrow, it's the Indian.

And get up there sooner than later. The last 5 years, I expected November to be better than October, as it usually did. I haven't found that to be true.

Syl

^ The above is a very truthful summary of the reality of PA steelhead fishing.

Steel in Oregon = long beautiful casts and swinging flies for giants. Not another soul around.

Steel in Erie = using your 6wt smallmouth rod, adding 2 split shot and dropping it 4' in front of you. 5-8 pound fish. Wasting mony on an Erie specific steelhead setup is like buying a bluegill specific setup. Enjoy the elbow room....if you can find some .

Last trip to tthe SR, I used a 6wt nymph rod, Rio gold line that was on the reel, split shot and beads. Its not technical fishing by any stretch of the imagination.

PS. I love fresh chrome, start the hype

Steel in Oregon = long beautiful casts and swinging flies for giants. Not another soul around.

Steel in Erie = using your 6wt smallmouth rod, adding 2 split shot and dropping it 4' in front of you. 5-8 pound fish. Wasting mony on an Erie specific steelhead setup is like buying a bluegill specific setup. Enjoy the elbow room....if you can find some .

Generalizations like yours are false

I have fished sections of OR that are elbow to azzhole with people dropping pencil lead on a fish 10ft away in a holding pool the size of an SUV.

I have fished Lake erie tribs with high-end gear, long casts, and uninterrupted swings with no one within a 1/4 mile+.

Either extreme can be found in either location, just depends on your effort or lack of

My lack of effort would equal not going to Erie for the steelhead shiit show. It's like the green drake spinnerfall.....see it once and you're good for a lifetime. Needless hype. Why not tell the guy oak orchard and SR are relatively untapped fisheries? If you struggle to catch fish or have never caught a big fish, it's a good opportunity since you've got a captive audience just sitting there 8' in front of your feet. There won't be a lot of skill involved unless you're talking about keeping the lake run rainbow from getting tangled in the lines of the 20 d-bags that cast at your fish once hooked. They think you found the honey hole. Steelheading or getting kicked in the junk by a draft horse.....flip a coin.

Don't worry about me jamming up you swing for chrome, I've got better things to do with my time.....anything is a better use of time.

See ya at the steelhead jam

if thats your experience, so be it.... yes walnut and 20mile from rt5 to the lake are shltshows

But that is not representative of the entire fishery.

Everyone likes something different. I personally love Erie Steelhead fishing.

You don't need a switch rod or a specialized rod to fish Erie tribs. That being said you don't NEED to fish whatsoever! So since you are fishing because you WANT TO, get gear that makes you happy if that's what you want! If you like buying and collecting gear (like me) and are looking for an excuse to get something new and different then get a 10' 6 or 7wt or maybe a switch rod and you will get good use out of it in Erie.

I've had days in Erie that annoy me with crowds, but i've also had days where i've had big stretches of water to myself.

Back