Simms Rip Rap Shoe

klingy

klingy

Anybody have any experience with these shoes? I'm in desperate need of some new wet wading shoes, and these look like they'd last and have nice tread. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Link

No experience with using them, but I thought long and hard about them at a flyshop in Montana. They seem to be sturdy and well built from my experience in fondling them and waffling for a solid 30 minutes.

I chose to pass because I had already blown my budget with 4 days remaining in the trip.

i like them... Korkers also makes a similar product

Unfortunately, due to past persecution I have to preface this post by saying that I am a Simms endorsed guide.

For what it's worth I'll say the Rip Rap is a good product. I like them for wet wading and they wear good dry to work on casual days or during the fishing commute.

I also like the Sandal - but if you choose this wet wading option be sure to get a pair of the thin Neoprene Wading socks to make it more comfortable, specifically keeping gravel out from your feet.

Any questions or concerns, shoot me a PM.

Tight Lines

TDB wrote:
I also like the Sandal - but if you choose this wet wading option be sure to get a pair of the thin Neoprene Wading socks to make it more comfortable, specifically keeping gravel out from your feet.

See, that was my first thought on it... Granted, my boots have had several years of hard wear and significant shoogoo patchery, but they always seemed to attact gravel inside.

Would seem to me that a pair of lowtops would be gravel magnets, I don't think I could handle that. Maybe its just where I fish, but no?

Gary, I got a pair of these and it solved that problem.

Yeah, I wet wade again.

Good for you, I can't abide waders but I'll never do it without long pants again. Sweet babby Jebus.

I've got a pair of cheapo neoprene socks that I loathe becaue they're a bear to get on and off. Someone once suggested thick woolen socks for the same purpose, but frankly, I like the ease of throwing neoprenes in back of car to dry in hot air rather than warshing woolen socks lest they go crunchy.

I also have seperate gaiters I wear over top of them.

Anyways, like the shoes, will stick with boots. Different strokes, now I'm just whining to hear myself whine.

I also refuse to wet wade without wading pants.

I have no experience with those Simms shoes, but do have some hands on with a few other brands that I think are worth checking out.

I would take a good look at these Merrells

You can find them on sale often at various hiking stores and big box outdoor retailers.

Others I do not have as much time in are these two by The North Face and Salomon.

I would probably pair any of these with those Orvis Neoprene Socks that were mentioned previously.

The Simms look good though. I would have to try them on and see how they felt. I liked the Merrells the best out of the three I mentioned followed by The North Face.

The sole should be stickier. I think they use the Vibram Idro-grip sole. To me, it isn't sticky enough. For some fishing, like wading the Tulley, Lehigh Valley streams, Spring, they should be OK. Even Penns isn't as slippery as it is extremely irregular and easier to trip. For streams that I'm in like the Allegheny River or Oil Creek, the Aqua-Stealth sole is good, but unavailable on anything except the LL Bean boot. If you wear-in the Idro-grip soles a good deal, they get a bit stickier. I have the discontinued Patagonia Izaak sandal. It's really well made, but uses the Idro-grip sole and aren't as sticky as I'd want when I'm wading.

Rock climbers get sticky soles but wading fishermen don't.

Syl

Back