Seeking recommendations/referrals for casting instruction.

I know Dave Zamos very well and he is an excellent casting instructor. I'm sure you will learn a lot and improve your casting. But taking a casting lesson(s) is the beginning, not the end. The key to it all is to take the lesson, listen to the instruction and practice, practice, practice. At some point muscle memory will take over and (good) casting will become second nature. Good luck.
Thanks. Once I know what to practice, I’m good.

So I had my first lesson with Dave Zamos today, and both the lesson and he were excellent. We covered the basics as well as some more advanced stuff, including some spey casting techniques like snake roll, snap-c, and some others the names of which I’ve forgotten.

I also discovered that for me the most comfortable and natural motion is the switch cast - I can accomplish most of what I want to do with that alone - and learned that single handed spey line is awesome. And the next lesson is free.

Highly, highly recommended.

Last edited:
I have never had a fly casting lesson in 60 years. I was throwing fly lines before we even knew what a computer was. That adage therefore is not necessarily true. Some people are naturally gifted to excel without any training or tutelage.
I agree. That is a stupid quote. Ben Jonson is a contemporary of Shakespeare, though, and probably the second most famous English playwright of the time period. I guess his saying predates computers, too.....

So I had my first lesson with Dave Zamos today, and both the lesson and he were excellent. We covered the basics as well as some more advanced stuff, including some spey casting techniques like snake roll, snap-c, and some others the names of which I’ve forgotten.

I also discovered that for me the most comfortable and natural motion is the switch cast - I can accomplish most of what I want to do with that alone - and learned that single handed spey line is awesome. And the next lesson is free.

I have no idea what those casts are. But then I'm a single hand rod guy.

I agree. That is a stupid quote. Ben Jonson is a contemporary of Shakespeare, though, and probably the second most famous English playwright of the time period. I guess his saying predates computers, too.....
Yes, but can he throw a #4 40' accurately 😉

Sounds good. Did he recommend video-recording your practice sessions so you can review/correct bad habits? I've heard that recommendation several times from different sources.

I have no idea what those casts are. But then I'm a single hand rod guy.
All of these techniques are single hand. None are particularly complex so you may have seen or even done some but either didn’t know or didn’t care about these names.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Did he recommend video-recording your practice sessions so you can review/correct bad habits? I've heard that recommendation several times from different sources.
He did not, though I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt. He just said to practice and then we’ll get together again in a few weeks. I said I would like to work on reach casting/air mending next time.

He did not, though I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt. He just said to practice and then we’ll get together again in a few weeks. I said I would like to work on reach casting/air mending next time.
80% of my casts involve reaching or air mending. I'm only a poor-to-fair "classic" straight-line caster... always have been. Reach casting was something I figured out myself after many dragging drifts, and could only learn it on moving water. When one of my boys was about 12 years old, I showed it to him since he couldn't make a straight cast "bend" into a strong current. He caught a trout the first time he got it right.

Back