Seeking recommendations/referrals for casting instruction.

Meh, I can't totally agree with you on that one. The difference between being an "expert" or a "pro" often times just means you get paid for it. That does not always equal "better" at something, especially in today's world where anyone can do easily promote themselves and make their credentials appear legit.

I know some guides who don't know their elbows from their assholes. Nothing against guides, but I'd be pissed if I paid for their "expertise." I actually fully agree with Hooker. If I were you, keep fishing. Real life experience is the best practice there is.

If you think it's a good use of money for casting instruction, then have at it.
Dear jifigz,

That is why I gave Kms the name of someone I know who it an expert caster, skilled fisherman, and genuinely decent and caring human being. The last qualification is without question his greatest attribute. He knows what people need and how to reinforce it in a manner that works for you as an individual.

Teaching is teaching. 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Soooo my casting and presentation range from mediocre to crap, and while I wouldn’t say no to someone volunteering to spend an hour or two teaching me, I’m also willing to pay a reasonable amount for a couple hours of formal, solo, instruction - so long as it’s actually good.

I did the free Orvis classes - which were ok - but I would like someone to act like any other professional sports coach, i.e, demonstrate, watch me, diagnose my errors and prescribe correction. I see that Bean offers solo instruction in Quakertown and Downingtown, but I thought I would check here first.

Does anyone know of any good instructors in SEPA?

TIA.

Yo, Mason, when we went out a couple times the goal was to catch a few trout, but I would be happy to spend some time on casting this fall. I am in the camp of the many who say to save your money, at least until you can master the basic mechanics.

If you took a poll on here about who actually had casting instruction and who is self-taught the results may surprise you... It's not rocket science until you want it to be. At that point the info that @linwood (Barry) shared would be great.

It hasn’t taken me long to realize what isn’t news to anyone here: fly fishing is casting. If my casting isn’t on point, nothing else matters, and it isn’t, so there ya go.
Keep your chin up. I'd rephrase that with *starts with* and not *is*

You can catch fish with bad casting, and heck, a lot of the best fish eats I get are on lousy casts, but I learned to have the patience to see out the drift on that bad cast, or rest the fish for 10 mins and try again.

Building the skill, one step at a time. https://www.castingaspersions.com/ has a list of Certified Casting Instructors which are in PA area. Looks like Dusty and Jim are close enough to SEPA to work with. If you are really wanting to get casting lessons, as others have said - an FFI certified person would be a good place to start. The FFI website is also a good option.

Reactions: Kms
Yo, Mason, when we went out a couple times the goal was to catch a few trout, but I would be happy to spend some time on casting this fall. I am in the camp of the many who say to save your money, at least until you can master the basic mechanics.

If you took a poll on here about who actually had casting instruction and who is self-taught the results may surprise you... It's not rocket science until you want it to be. At that point the info that @linwood (Barry) shared would be great.
I'll second this. Take Chris up on his offer.

Broodstock has given some really good advise. It's easy to pick up bad habits that will take a long time to undo. A few dollars spent on a good casting instructor, early on, will be well worth it.

If you live in the York area I will mentor your casting for free. I have been fly fishing for 60 years. I can throw a line and help you improve .

Contrary to beliefs of some, you don't have to be a master caster to catch enough fish to keep you happy. My life-long accumulation bad habits hasn't prevented be form having a good time. Do I fail to hit a spot from 50-60 ft, absolutely. Did I lose the ability to double haul during my education years away from trout fishing, yes.
Would I be shocked to see a video of my casting ? Maybe. My casting deficiencies only started to become apparent when I took up SMB fishing about 5 years ago. Trout fishing in PA (well, Delaware might be different), decent casting is sufficient.
I think there is a middle ground to this answer. If I were learning again, I'd take someone up on the offer to help to get the basics down. Fish like that for a year or so, then maybe invest in an instructor to take you to the next level. Over that year you might be surprised to find you don't desire the advanced instruction.

Ben Jonson: 'He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.'​

I am self taught at fly casting and basketball.

In both cases I would have been much better off if I had got instructions on the fundamentals when I was starting.

Last edited:
Contrary to beliefs of some, you don't have to be a master caster to catch enough fish to keep you happy. My life-long accumulation bad habits hasn't prevented be form having a good time. Do I fail to hit a spot from 50-60 ft, absolutely. Did I lose the ability to double haul during my education years away from trout fishing, yes.
Would I be shocked to see a video of my casting ? Maybe. My casting deficiencies only started to become apparent when I took up SMB fishing about 5 years ago. Trout fishing in PA (well, Delaware might be different), decent casting is sufficient.
I think there is a middle ground to this answer. If I were learning again, I'd take someone up on the offer to help to get the basics down. Fish like that for a year or so, then maybe invest in an instructor to take you to the next level. Over that year you might be surprised to find you don't desire the advanced instruction.
This is what originally sparked this post.

This past week I was listening to an interview with Gary Borger, wherein he was discussing his latest book on casting, when he relayed a tale from when he was working with Fenwick about a fellow instructor who claimed he could teach anyone to double haul competently in 15 minutes.

Borger and the other instructors challenged the guy to prove it, which he then did with a group of complete novices. He started by having them first cast line by hand, and then after they’d mastered the motion he gave them a rod.

Borger said that’s how he taught his son Jason to cast, and since then he remains convinced it’s the best way to teach fly casting. Borger also said, “Never practice casting when you’re fishing, because you’re always focused on the fish.”

As I’m quite sure Borger has forgotten more about fishing than I will ever know, I think following his lead makes sense.

I thank you all for your responses and feedback, and I recognize that even those I disagreed with were all well intended. I reached out to one FFI instructor and intend to contact at least two more (including the fellow recommended by Tim Murphy) later today.

A link to the interview with Borger is below, and the exchange I mentioned above is around the 14:00 mark for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Borger and the other instructors challenged the guy to prove it, which he then did with a group of complete novices. He started by having them first cast line by hand, and then after they’d mastered the motion he gave them a rod.

Borger said he that’s how he taught his son Jason to cast, and since then he remains convinced it’s the best way to teach anyone to cast. Borger also said, “Don’t practice casting when you’re fishing.”
Starting with casting line by hand is very interesting. I never heard of that method before.

This is what originally sparked this post.

This past week I was listening to an interview with Gary Borger, wherein he was discussing his latest book on casting, when he relayed a tale from when he was working with Fenwick about a fellow instructor who claimed he could teach anyone to double haul competently in 15 minutes.

Borger said that’s how he taught his son Jason to cast, and since then he retains convinced it’s the best way to teach fly casting. Borger also said, “Never practice casting when you’re fishing, because you’re always focused on the fish.”

As I’m quite sure Borger has forgotten more about fishing than I will ever know, I think following his lead makes sense.

I thank you all for your responses and feedback, and I recognize that even those I disagreed with were all well intended. I reached out to one FFI instructor and intend to contact at least two more (including the fellow recommended by Tim Murphy) later today.

A link to the interview with Borger is below, and the exchange I mentioned above is around the 14:00 mark for anyone interested.

Pretty sure the instructor Borger was speaking of was Mel Kreiger

Everything you have mentioned is 100% spot on. However there is virtually nothing in the fishing world so esthetically pleasing as the rhythmic motions of a skilled fly caster.

Ben Jonson: 'He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.'​

I am self taught at fly casting and basketball.

In both cases I would have been much better off if I had got instructions on the fundamentals when I was starting.
I have never had a fly casting lesson in 60 years. I was throwing fly lines before we even knew what a computer was. That adage therefore is not necessarily true. Some people are naturally gifted to excel without any training or tutelage.

Everything you have mentioned is 100% spot on. However there is virtually nothing in the fishing world so esthetically pleasing as the rhythmic motions of a skilled fly caster.
I greatly enjoy watching people do it well. Kind of like rhythmic gymnastics, blood sports style.

So I found that one of 21 FFI certified casting instructors in PA lives right in my area (Dave Zemos), and have scheduled a very reasonably priced ($90) private two hour casting lesson at a local creek for this later week. Thanks again for all of the replies.
That is a great price. I'm sure that two hours, and continued practice, will have you casting much better by 2025.

That is a great price. I'm sure that two hours, and continued practice, will have you casting much better by 2025.
I also heard back from George Simon, one of the few master level certified instructors, who quoted me $150 for a three hour lesson. So when I’m next up in the Poconos I’ll probably schedule a lesson with him as well.

In short it seems that casting instruction is pretty economical.

Again I appreciate all of the offers to assist, but I think it would be a bit much to expect anyone to put in several solid hours (for free!) teaching me to cast.

Last edited:
So I found that one of 21 FFI certified casting instructors in PA lives right in my area (Dave Zemos), and have scheduled a very reasonably priced ($90) private two hour casting lesson at a local creek for this later week. Thanks again for all of the replies.
I know Dave Zamos very well and he is an excellent casting instructor. I'm sure you will learn a lot and improve your casting. But taking a casting lesson(s) is the beginning, not the end. The key to it all is to take the lesson, listen to the instruction and practice, practice, practice. At some point muscle memory will take over and (good) casting will become second nature. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back