scientific anglers supra multi tip Skagit

flipnfly

flipnfly

Does anyone have this line?
Also I would like to know if it would pair well with an echo
ion rod I went with a ten foot eight weight opinions welcomed

that line is for a 2handed rod... not a good choice

Ramcatt is right. That is for a 2 hander. You could probably cast the 450gr Supra Skagit head (I know this is the "6wt" head but 2 handed line ratings are different from single hand line ratings) with your 8wt Ion but given all of the line choices out there for single handers I think I would try something else 1st.

I'm assuming that you are trying to line your Echo 8wt as a steelhead/salmon rod (I apologize if I'm wrong). I'm not sure how you plan on fishing this rod (what type of flies) or what type of water you'll be fishing but I would recommend something like SA's Mastery Series Steelhead or Rio's Steelhead and Atlantic Salmon lines...or even an Airflo 40+ if you want to try a different line taper than your standard WFF. Thats just me though.

building off what Turkey-ish said...

you won't find a Skagit line light enough for single hand over head...
even if you get a 450g... the tips will still run you about 100g each
an 8wt single hand is rated as 210g
so a 6wt skagit is 550+g at 40' (i think the 450g has 12' tips) WAY too much for overhead... essp on a 10'r
that also means that you are working with 45'+ of live from your tip to your fly

big flies, heavy tips, and/or wind

Skagit lines are a very effective tool for a specific function... and a MESS if used outside of its intended applications

Well I thank you guys any one need a line for a two hander before I send it back I got it for $85 not too bad of a deal
Turkey,
I am linking this rod for steel head and was, am looking for a multi tip line
I think I'm mainly going to use this as a swinging/ nymph just looking for something different to learn
Again thanks for the info guys

As far as tips go, I've been experimenting with either Rio Versileaders or Airflo Polyleaders with different sink rates on a switch rod and my 7wt single hander. I.really like the results so far. Especially for swinging. I don't get the hinging and tangles I would normally get with split shot.

ok before i order it what about the rio versa tip with the 15ft tips this sound like a decent match

i'm a bigger SA fan, but that is a great line... you may find that 15' tips are a bit much, don't be afraid to cut them back if needed

what would be a good length and i did see the SA has a one handed multi tip i think it may be a skagit also but i dont think the medium fast aaction of my echo thats comming in is meant for that i think that skagit is meant more for switch rods

edit : another reason im chosing the rio is thats its anadromus(sp) just incase i get to do some salt fishing some day

I've used the Rio Versi Tip for quite a while. It does what it's advertised to do.
Fishing the floating tip can get frustrating due to the loop to loop connection catching in the guides.
I've cut back the butts on most of the leader to about 10 ft.
If I need more mass, I'll change tips (Airflow poly leaders) or loop on the cut and re-looped leftover 5 ft section.
I wouldn't depend on this line for salt fishing. It's not built for overhead distance casting. Here, you'd be better off with running line and shooting head.
If you have an old 8wt line, you could cut off the front taper and put in a loop to attach airflow poly leaders. You can also add a loop to that cut off tip section to re-connect and use while nymphing.

BTW, we may have met if that was you fishing the high water at Folly's a couple of years ago, pre-jam. If so, Nice to Meet Ya.

yeah it was me nice to meet you again are you going to be attending the jam again this year?

Back