Saltwater Fly Swap

Eel punts almost done, so that went from maybe to definitely. Not liking how my crease flys are looking. tried to get fancy and do sili-skin over gold leaf. The effect is awesome, but it looks a little sloppy. Do people care about that? I hate to send out crappy product when I know what I get back will be well tied flies. Have to think about it and maybe start over on the crease flies....

ebro,
if the flies catch fish I could care less what they look like out of the water.

GRP wrote:
If we do two, I'll be going with a mushmouth and...

G, did you have a size/color in mind for your mushys?

I wanted to do something similar, but my only color option is tan/white over white though...thinking anchovie size. Would this be redundant?

jay348 wrote:

G, did you have a size/color in mind for your mushys?

I wanted to do something similar, but my only color option is tan/white over white though...thinking anchovie size. Would this be redundant?

I'm tying them in chartruese over white in a size 2/0. I think having two different colors will be ok.

GRP wrote:

I'm tying them in chartruese over white in a size 2/0. I think having two different colors will be ok.

Cool, they should look totally different.

I've been tying a bunch of smaller stuff lately in hopes that I might someday encounter an albie from shore...wishful thinking? (Probably)

fat alberts can be taken from sure all the time, just have to be there when they come in...they go ballistic when caught on the beach..

Had them @ Sandy hook N beach a few years ago, just out of fly range but the spinning guys were getting them. You could have reached them with a spey rod though. Or maybe just better technique than I have with the 10wt.

jay348 wrote:
GRP wrote:

Cool, they should look totally different.

I've been tying a bunch of smaller stuff lately in hopes that I might someday encounter an albie from shore...wishful thinking? (Probably)

Just a heads up, the surf candies I tied are chart over white in anchovie size, so these will be similar...if that matters to you. Its fine by me...we're only getting one of each, and I wouldn't mind having a handful of all of them :)

fly's are in the mail....

No problem at all Phil. I'll bet there is still a good variety, even between similar patterns.

ebroesicke wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep my eye out this week.

I actually meant to post this sooner, but I'll be out of town from fri through next week...trip to cape cod (I'm psyched). My building will hold any packages for me, but I won't be around to confirm if flies arrive until I get back. Just a heads up to those who may also be getting ready to mail.

jay348 wrote:
No problem at all Phil. I'll bet there is still a good variety, even between similar patterns.

ebroesicke wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep my eye out this week.

I actually meant to post this sooner, but I'll be out of town from fri through next week...trip to cape cod (I'm psyched). My building will hold any packages for me, but I won't be around to confirm if flies arrive until I get back. Just a heads up to those who may also be getting ready to mail.

Good luck Jay make sure you do some research before you leave .

Fredrick wrote:

Good luck Jay make sure you do some research before you leave .

Thanks Fred. Been looking into locations like crazy...the problem is there's so damn much fishable water up there. Every time I map out a spot, I read about another "good' one. I blame this on the books you sent me haha.

I think picking 2 or 3 spots and fishing those hard might be my best bet.

Thanks. The eel punts came out OK, but the crease flies weren't as good. I tried to get a little fancy and they aren't great. They will fish fine and will catch fish. (i hope). Glad you got 'em ok.

halfway done, just need to make a material run to finish the beach combers. The Clouser derivative I decided on is a chart/white half & half, hope that's okay with you guys, and I'm doing olive/white for the beach combers, both in 2/0, hope they're fine with you guys, not much of a salt guy myself, but I like to use these swaps to expand my tying skills a little.

sorry i have to drop out, i'm having a lot of personal troubles at the moment and won't be able to do it.

sniperfreak223 wrote:
sorry i have to drop out, i'm having a lot of personal troubles at the moment and won't be able to do it.

No worries sniper, I hope everything works out for ya.

I kept it going with Bob's epoxy flies and did Ultra shrimp in tan. I didn't have a good tan hackle so I dubbed wool (flash blend) instead for the legs.
I'm just about done. Should we be sending 12 flies total now that sniper dropped out?

Sorry for the delay Phil! Yes, 12 flies covers each of the tiers.

Updated list:

1. jay348 - silicone mullet (yellow/wht), mushmouth (tan/wht)
2. marcq - peanut bunker and adult sand eel
3. GRP - mushmouth (chart/wht) and hollow fleye
4. Fred - Gartside BMG
5. PhilC - surf candy
6. ebroesicke - crease fly and an eel punt - RECEIVED
7. wetflyguy - sand eel

I've got a few more of each to tie myself, but I'm itching to get out there to fish...reports are looking good right about now!

Peanuts are done waiting to get the stuff in the mail for the sand eels.

Back