Salmon River Guide Recommendation.

Bruno

Bruno

I am looking to make a trip to the Salmon River this fall. I want to hire a guide. Have any of you experience with any of the local guides. If so, I would appreciate some recommendations.

Bruno,
been there for salmon with no guide and did good. Finally got my bro out and we got a guide last Feb for steel. He was very good and knew his sh*t. We went like 5 for 17 (GOOD DAY and 10 degrees). Next morning my bro and i went back to a spot he showed us and went 1 for 3 in a few hours. If you get him make sure you tell him you want to flyfish, the morning we met him he thought we were going to spin!!..he gets a lot of spin guys. He let me use his fly gear (combo over $1000 easily) so i was nervous. It will cut the learning curve of the SR a lot.

www.trophy-angler.com

i was thinking of this guy too but George's price was right.
www.yankeeangler.com

PM me if you want more info....(access...etc)

jeff

I've not used him, but if you are looking to fly-fish the Salmon River, I've heard ALOT of good things about Loren Williams. Here is his website:

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com

bruno,

used to live up there and fish it quite a bit and as such know a few of the guides. a lot of the guys are good but

the best bar none is Greg Liu.

this guy is strictly fly fishing and an all round nice guy. you will not be disappointed. he does book fast, however.

if interested, shoot me a pm and i'll send you his contact number.

p.s
i use greg when my father fishes with me

Bruno,

Let me know what weekend you're going.

We'll be up for fising/partying for about 5 days in mid october and would he happy to have you join us.

You might want to hit up salmoncrazy.com for some advice. A lot of the local guides are members there, I know George and Loren are as far as previously mentioned guides. Hell, Loren was the tyer for the US Flyfishing Olympics team last I checked. Not a bad place to start. Let me know when you are going up, maybe we can meet up. I'll be there the 21st through the 25th of September this year. Last year by that time the river was thick with steel and browns, which is a bit unusual, but we're hoping for a repeat this year. Hope this helps.

Boyer

Hi Bruno - Another recommendation for Loren Williams:

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/

I know Loren, and he's just awesome! He is the head coach for the Junior Team USA/PA in the upcoming world championships. He's also a member of the Senior Team USA flyfishing team. I seriously doubt you'll find anyone more highly qualified. I saw Loren last month, and he said he's really booked heavily, but there is still a few openings for this coming season. If you try to contact him in the next two weeks or so, he may be a little slow in responding, due to the fact that he's down in State College working to get the kids ready for the championships. All his expenses are coming out of his own pocket, so you can see the type of individual he is by what he's doing to help the kids of Team USA........Ed

Bruno, I hired Loren Williams a couple of years ago. You won't find a better guide for flyfishing. But call him ASAP as he is always booked ahead. Hiring a guide for one day is the right way to go. What you learn will stick for years and payoff in spades. Good Luck

Bruno,I've been fishing the Salmon River for 20+ yrs,I can't get enough of it.In that time I have fished in the same water near a lot of guides,some of them are n't worth much and others are worth every penney and then some.
I have fished near Randy Jones many a time and he will show you how to fish that river.His service is called Yankee Angler as mentioned earlier.Also,Loren Williams is top notch and knows his stuff.Greg Liu is also a very good choice.
I'll be up there end of Sept. and the first week of Oct.,that is prime time!

Thanks for all the good info. Jay I may take you up on that.

Hope you are all well. I'll be on slippery rock tonight looking for the white flies.

I would go with Loren Williams. Heres his website. http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com. I am hoping to go there in Mid-Oct. If he have any spots open in Mid-Oct. Waiting for him to email me back when he gets back from the youth tournament. Good Luck on your trip.

Greg Liu called me back this evening. I was having a great evening at the penn brewery when he called. He called from a NYC area code and I was all snotty when I answered. I gave him a who is this and why are you calling me. I was a jerk for a second and he started talking salmon and i was hooked. I told him about the site and that you guys suggested Loren and himself.

He laughed and told me to tell you all that Loren is " wet behind the ears " .

That made me feel that much better. Then he heard my last name and said " a good fly fishing irishman. Sold ..................

I am planning on the 4th to 7th if anyone is up that way

Peace

good choice. you'll be happy with greg.

Back