Salmon River 2018

I was up there Saturday and Sunday. Didn’t see a fish Saturday and Sunday had a few come into the dsr but no hookups. Saw one hookup on Sunday...sure did look like fun. Appparently they started showing up in numbers on Monday and the fishing has been great since. Ugh. Timing is everything. For those that have never been, be prepared...even though it’s private water there’s a good chance that you will not have a lot of water to yourself. In the prime spots you may have 10 to 20 yards to yourself and everyone stands their ground. I’m sure it’s better than the public water but it’s far from a private experience. That being said, I can’t wait to go back. It’s a beautiful property that’s very efficiently run with very nice nice people working there. And their lodges are very clean and nicely appointed. The other anglers you meet are super friendly as well.

Biggie wrote:
There will still be plenty of salmon around and steelies will be there. Never hit too many browns on the SR, but you may catch a few at that time. Good luck.

Thank you! Yeah my buddies and I went last year for a few days and caught all chinooks and one coho. That’s good to hear, I wasn’t sure how long the salmon typically stick around.

For those who have gone up to SR before what size flies do you typically use for egg patterns, etc? Last year I used size 6 wooly buggers and size 8 or 10 eggs or estaz eggs. Looking to stock up after last year

Those sizes are good, just make sure they are 2x heavy hooks.

CLSports wrote:
Those sizes are good, just make sure they are 2x heavy hooks.

I was looking at using Mustad CO68’s for the eggs I was going to tie. I wasn’t sure if I should go with a more typical egg hook or a straight shank like Mustad S70

Both hooks are good choices. Tie up a bunch as you will go through a bunch. I did well last year with Saber 7323 hooks in size 8. No failures and lots of fish landed. I tied 10s 8s and 6s this year. Can’t wait to try em out!

Unless your are fishing the FF Zones, don't overlook using trout beads. Some FF are against using them (not a fly) and I see their point. I don't tie, so trout beads are very inexpensive and work great. I also use a bead in combo with a stonefly or a different color estaz fly. You can't use two hooks in NY, but with the bead pegged above the fly, you still give the fish two choices. And I get very few foul hooked fish outside of the mouth.

Huge numbers are reported in the DSR today,Kings/Cohos.I'm heading up there Sat. for 6 days ,can't wait!

troutwilleatflies wrote:
Huge numbers are reported in the DSR today,Kings/Cohos.I'm heading up there Sat. for 6 days ,can't wait!

I saw that! Good luck, post some pictures!

So the Douglaston pricing drops in Nov because the salmon have stopped running and it's only browns and steelies? I'm planning a trip and found it strange the cost changes significantly beginning of Nov.

@Pitt, yup the main salmon run is over by November, plus your eyelets start freezing up!

The DSR price drops in November because their are more fish in other parts of the river at that time.

With the amount of passes the dsr sells per day there is really no reason to ever fish there. Unless you enjoy paying a private entity which used political clout and manipulated laws to privatize a formerly public fishery (whose fish are stocked and paid for by taxpayers).

Ooooooohhhhhh boy!!!!!!

This is your pilot speaking, we expect a abit of turbulence ahead. I am asking everyone to please return to their seats and fasten your seatbelts. Please place your seat backs and tables in the upright and locked position.

moon1284 wrote:
The DSR price drops in November because their are more fish in other parts of the river at that time.

With the amount of passes the dsr sells per day there is really no reason to ever fish there. Unless you enjoy paying a private entity which used political clout and manipulated laws to privatize a formerly public fishery (whose fish are stocked and paid for by taxpayers).

What he said^^^^^

Hmm, don't know how I got a double post

Back