SA Expert Distance......anyone use it?

krayfish2

krayfish2

I've read several reviews and some say it is practical for fishing and others say it's only good for tournament casting. It's got a 60'-70' head!

I'm thinking it would allow you to airealize more line when compared to a line with a 30' head. The shorter head is followed by thinner less stable running line which wants to collapse when casting longer distances. If shooting, I can see the shorter head (GPX or Rio Grand) working better but I'm talking about keeping larger amounts of line in the air.

Am I on the right track or has the thought process jumped the tracks?

I have a new rod in route. After years of being a diehard Rio user, I've decided to freshen things up a bit. I picked up a GPX textured and was also looking at expert distance as another option to try.....specificly for long distance dry fly fishing on big water.

I use the SA Expert Distance and it works well for me. I have the 5wt line on a 590 One. I threw new Rio Gold away when I got this line.

The Rio acted like you mentioned. It would fail to load the rod at about 60' just as I wanted to shoot line. The SA does not have that problem, plus it shoots, and mends, well.

Kray - "Expert" only. I'm not sure on what the threshold number of posts is for "expert" but it's probably more than 11, sorry. Keep posting though!

Hey Andy,

I've found Easy Mend HD line works well for me for distance casting as well as mending at long distance. As you wrote, a longer head enables you to aerialize more line. The EM head is +/- 55' long, depending on line wt. It also casts well a shorter distances, which is important.

The HD means it has texture to reduce friction. The texture on this line can be compared to golf ball dimples and really aids in shooting more line.

Anyway, it works well for me. I will say, you really need a faster rod with some oomph to aerialize 50-60' of line in the air. But you have strout sticks, and that shouldn't be a problem.

BC,
That was my understanding. The ED line doesn't feel like it's loading the rod deeply when casting in close but it really is. Where it seems to come alive on faster rods is in the 40'+ range. Turns over very well and mends easy as actually mending line and not just running line. I've cast a One (sharkskin and Gold on it) but didn't care for the feel of it. It reminded me of the failed TCX experiment. Ended up with a Zenith since the bend profile isnearly identical to a rod I did like, the H2. I found the distance line on sale and might get one to try. Heard more positive than negative about it.

Swattie,
If you come across a 'newbie distance' line, I'd be open to checking it out as well. I know I've only got a few posts but have been fly fishing for over 3 weeks now.

Tom,
Is that HD an Orvis pproduct? I got a textured GPX to play with (same golf ball dimple idea). Sounds like the HD has a longer head though. Textred lines do actually shoot and mend better if you can get past the noise. The main dry fly rods are z-axis, legend elite and now a zenith. I don't consider the elite or z-axis as super fast rods or overly stiff. They both are soft enough in the tip that they work well in close. I'm once again looking for the unicorn that makes throwing it long distance a little easier. If nothing else, I'd have Rio Gold, Sharkskin, GPX textured and Expert Distance. I'll rotate the lines between the 3 rods. I'm pretty sure I'll find a good match for each rod. I might end up with better performance out of the existing rods by changing lines.

Pretty much any old line will do for shooting line on Gemmie streams...right into trees usually. Some lines are better than others though for launching the little ones 40 feet behind you when executing another expert level move, the "Bassmaster Hookset." For that the cheapest is always best.

Nah, I'm talking upper D system where on occasion, fish won't let you get closer than 60'. Need to be able to launch it, mend it and there's usually wind involved. I've been on the river where you spot a good fish at 150'....drop anchor to observe. When anchor hits bottom, the fish shuts off. Pick up anchor and the fish starts to feed. Drop anchor again and they shut down. That game goes on for an hour and then I just give up. LOL. That's the same fish that will let you wade to 75' while he's feeding. Take a step and the fish drifts 5' further away. They never let you get closer than their comfort / buffer range. Better be creative and able to cast 60'.

Not quite as challenging as gemmies but close. I've picked up cast with a willow leaf stuck to the fly.....nope it was a 3" trout. LOL rollcast him twice trying to fling the leaf off before I realized it was a trout. Felt bad for the little guy.

krayfish2 wrote:
BC,
That was my understanding. The ED line doesn't feel like it's loading the rod deeply when casting in close but it really is. Where it seems to come alive on faster rods is in the 40'+ range. Turns over very well and mends easy as actually mending line and not just running line. I've cast a One (sharkskin and Gold on it) but didn't care for the feel of it. It reminded me of the failed TCX experiment. Ended up with a Zenith since the bend profile isnearly identical to a rod I did like, the H2. I found the distance line on sale and might get one to try. Heard more positive than negative about it.

Swattie,
If you come across a 'newbie distance' line, I'd be open to checking it out as well. I know I've only got a few posts but have been fly fishing for over 3 weeks now.

Tom,
Is that HD an Orvis pproduct? I got a textured GPX to play with (same golf ball dimple idea). Sounds like the HD has a longer head though. Textred lines do actually shoot and mend better if you can get past the noise. The main dry fly rods are z-axis, legend elite and now a zenith. I don't consider the elite or z-axis as super fast rods or overly stiff. They both are soft enough in the tip that they work well in close. I'm once again looking for the unicorn that makes throwing it long distance a little easier. If nothing else, I'd have Rio Gold, Sharkskin, GPX textured and Expert Distance. I'll rotate the lines between the 3 rods. I'm pretty sure I'll find a good match for each rod. I might end up with better performance out of the existing rods by changing lines.

Orvis Easy Mend HD. Easy Mend has longer head and HD means it's textured line.

Tom,
Looking at the line profiles and knowing that both lines are made by the same factory......

I thought the Orvis HD and Mastery textured trout (aka Trout Stalker) are the same line. They are not. SA Textured Trout Stalker and Expert Distance are almost the same exact taper.

I've done more reading and confused myself more. It appears that the major benefits to the really long head / belly / rear taper lines are that they rollcast easier (not a factor), mend super well (very nice) and that they allow you to pick up a lot more line rather than strip a majority in before casting......like you have to with a really head heavy line. Think I'll roll the dice since I found both ED and TS for really good prices on clearance.

Hey Andy,

Those lines should work fine. The keys are having a stout rod, a longer head to aerialize more line and help with mending and pick-up, as well as a textured line to increase your shooting distance.

The problem is you will be able to cast far enough to cover a riser on the D, but get only a 19.6" drift before drag sets in.... :roll:

One shot!...perfect cast...on the money (or the fish is down for the rest of the day)...:-(

Good luck with your rig.

don't make me upload the infamous Beeber "that's money" video. LMAO. all I need is one shot! A zenith should be plenty stiff for long head line.

I used SA ED and thought it was OK. I mostly fish the Lackawanna though(when I fish which isn't often anymore) and you really don't need the long casts that the line is designed for. I switched back to GPX and its better to suited to the fishing I do.

You can have my SA Ed in 5 wt. Its only been used 3 or 4 times. If you want it just PM name and address.

That's exceptionaly generous Cathy. PM.

krayfish2 wrote:
SA Textured Trout Stalker and Expert Distance are almost the same exact taper.

Andy, for what it's worth, I own 3 SA Troutstalkers. They are fantastic for the type of fishing (very similar to you) that I do. I have a 5wt for my 9' B2T that I use on the big rivers in the Catskills and out west. It is great at 60+ ft, but also at 25'. I have a 4wt on an 8 1/2' B3X. I was throwing 60' at Airport Rd. while wading and 70+ from my Scadden near WBA home pool. Also deadly accurate at 30' on Penn's. And,dare I say it, I have a 5wt on my Payne 102 that loads and shoots better than you (or I) could imagine.

I found both ED and TS for really good prices on clearance.
Where? Please call or PM me. Calling is better, as I don't log on much, If they're on clearance, They're probably discontinued, and I'd like a few spares

TR

What about this line Rio Gold Tournament. Anyone try this line ?

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/specialty/rio-gold-tournament/

Frederick,
My understanding is that the Rio line is great to set your personal best cast but it's clumsy / not practical for actual fishing.

I wouldn't mind having a new box, or two, if they're discontinuing the line.

The lines aren't discontinued. Trout (aka trout stalker) is now wavelength trout. Expert distance no change to name. You can get the lines from the last 2-3 years for 35%-60% off. They are already gone in many places.

Back