Rough weather leads to decrease in Pa. fishing license sales down ~10%

I think many are talking about different opinions on the issues. I would be interested to see what are the license sales of other states and country. I would guess all states in our region have been seeing slowing sales. Southern states and the west are likely flat or increasing. Just my speculation.

Prices for a Pa license is cheap and the least of the issues.

The sport of trout fishing has been transitioning especially in the Northeast. It's never one thing being the issue, but many things that add up.
While someone who fishies as much as you are I may not feel that the cost of a licenses is high.

That person who fishes one or two days a year has a huge issue with shelling out 43 bucks for a license and a trout stamp. Unfortunately, the PFBC has chosen to depend on those individuals to fund the bulk of the agency.

In my view, the Commissioners made a financial error when they recombined the regional opening days. This is not to say that I didn’t think there was a need for a slight program modification. Specifically, after a few yrs of regional opening day observations, plus the addition of the Mentored Youth Day (MYD), it seemed more practical from a water and air temp perspective to move the SE/SC regional opener and MYD each back a week, which is what has now occurred, but with the rest of the state opening a week later. What was lost by combining the opening days into one was the second benefit of the regional opening day scenario, which was also emphasized in-house when it was originally proposed. Specifically, the Commission could hedge its financial bets by taking two shots at having good weather and/or flows on an opening weekend and with angler mobility being what it is, a portion of the anglers who passed on fishing the first opener for whatever reason could take advantage of the second one, thus preserving some license sales that might have been lost. Likewise, there were substantial numbers of complaints received over the years when opening day fell on Easter weekend creating family gathering conflicts. Again, with two opening days that concern was potentially addressed. Finally, the regional concept addressed the potential issue of preseason stocking schedule completion problems by allowing an additional week or two to complete statewide stockings, particularly if there was bad weather (freezing rain, sleet, snow) or particularly high flows during portions of the preseason stocking period. Some sections of very popular Kettle Ck felt that pinch this year.

Last edited:
I still feel that outdoor recreation as a whole is down. Kayaking
In my view, the Commissioners made a financial error when they recombined the regional opening days. This is not to say that I didn’t think there was a need for a slight program modification. Specifically, after a few yrs of regional opening day observations, plus the addition of the Mentored Youth Day (MYD), it seemed more practical from a water and air temp perspective to move the SE/SC regional opener and MYD each back a week, which is what has now occurred, but with the rest of the state opening a week later. What was lost by combining the opening days into one was the second benefit of the regional opening day scenario, which was also emphasized in-house when it was originally proposed. Specifically, the Commission could hedge its financial bets by taking two shots at having good weather and/or flows on an opening weekend and with angler mobility being what it is, a portion of the anglers who passed on fishing the first opener for whatever reason could take advantage of the second one, thus preserving some license sales that might have been lost. Likewise, there were substantial numbers of complaints received over the years when opening day fell on Easter weekend creating family gathering conflicts. Again, with two opening days that concern was potentially addressed. Finally, the regional concept addressed the potential issue of preseason stocking schedule completion problems by allowing an additional week or two to complete statewide stockings, particularly if there was bad weather (freezing rain, sleet, snow) or particularly high flows during portions of the preseason stocking period. Some sections of very popular Kettle Ck felt that pinch this year.
Since I live in a border county to the old statewide opening day split, I will add one negative scenario to the split. Juniata County, which opened earlier than Mifflin County, was exceptionally crowded. Take a very popular stocked trout fishery as East Licking Creek, and the hordes that descended on it were unbearable.
Seriously though, if your fishing season and buying a license is all based on the weather of opening weekend, you aren't really a fisherman, but just a license buyer.

I still feel that outdoor recreation as a whole is down. Kayaking

Since I live in a border county to the old statewide opening day split, I will add one negative scenario to the split. Juniata County, which opened earlier than Mifflin County, was exceptionally crowded. Take a very popular stocked trout fishery as East Licking Creek, and the hordes that descended on it were unbearable.
Seriously though, if your fishing season and buying a license is all based on the weather of opening weekend, you aren't really a fisherman, but just a license buyer.
I’ll never understand the desire to prioritize stocking rubber trout over wild and especially native fish. Just one bass ackwards policy decision after another from that agency. At this point I consider the 40 bucks I spend on a license the cleaning fee for the damage I do to the porta johns at Shehawken and Buckingham after a day on the water.

I’ll never understand the desire to prioritize stocking rubber trout over wild and especially native fish. Just one bass ackwards policy decision after another from that agency. At this point I consider the 40 bucks I spend on a license the cleaning fee for the damage I do to the porta johns at Shehawken and Buckingham after a day on the water.
I agree. I don't think anyone here is overwhelmingly jumping up and down with joy about the stocking procedures and practices. I couldn't care less about it.

However, I still need to buy the license and stamp to trout fish, so I do. The wild trout opportunities that surround me are nearly endless, and I love trout fishing, so I have nothing to gripe about. I buy the license, I do what I love, and I keep on fishing.

Wild trout fishing has only gotten better and better with better water quality. Life is good.

Let me make an edit about the stocking: It isn't that I couldn't care less about it, because I could. I know it harms wild trout, and that sucks. I listed East Licking Creek above as an example. It shouldn't be stocked, and I wish it wasn't. There are enough wild fish in there that it should be on its own.

I can acknowledge how stocked trout appeal to people though and may hook them for life on the sport of fishing. I see social benefits to it even though it harms wild fish and does not make sense monetarily.

younger generation's instant gratification tools, increased immigration whose focus is on making a living rather than recreation and majority of them live in urban areas due to access to jobs and most of them prioritize money, career, education for their children rather than recreation, decreasing white birth rate compared to other races, etc etc. Fishing and Hunting in this country is white majority. As the numbers are changing this will continue to have affect on overall licenses.

2016 Census - Page 19 (or pdf Page 29)

2022 Census - Page 14 (or pdf Page 26)

People on this board seem to forget that there is a vast part of the state that does not support a big enough wild trout population to be able to cease stocking.

Yes, they stock in a lot of places they shouldn't, I am not arguing that.

Nor am I arguing that wild trout shouldn't be prioritized where applicable.

Where I live it is a 2 hour drive to a decent wild brown trout fishery. I can get to wild brookies in around an hour, but they are 6 inches long. That doesn't always scratch my itch.

Most folks aren't willing to drive 2 hours like I am.

The stocking program brings in more money than folks like us do. If you don't understand that by know I don't now what to tell you.

It's not fishing but the final round of the 2024 Masters had the lowest TV viewership since 2021. If you don't count the two COVID years of 2020 and 2021, it was the lowest figure since 1993. I have a feeling most sports have lower viewership because a ton of younger folks just aren't interested.

Let's see how the 2024 Olympics do...

The reality is these days whenever I go fishing I feel like I'm at a model railroading show or a music jam in that there ain't nary anyone under 50 years old in sight. I have seen 3 kids TOTAL under the age of 21 in the last 40 years fishing alone or with a friend like we did when I was younger.

If they aren't with an adult, they aren't there...

I predict lower & lower numbers of license sales going forward because interest in anything these days with a steep learning curve seems to be nonexistent and IMHO continuing to think it will change is a fantasy.

I've said it many times, I think the PFBC should lose Mentored Youth Day and Fish for Free Days and develop a kick a$$ video game about fishing. It MIGHT generate some interest but regardless it will probably easily make up for the lost license sales revenue.

The stocking program brings in more money than folks like us do. If you don't understand that by know I don't now what to tell you.
Yeah, that is social appeal of stocking. People are able to trout fish for a while. However, those against this viewpoint would say those people can go fishing for other species already there.

The financial part is a moot point. Yes, the stocking is what drives a lot of license sales, but it also costs the PFBC a fortune to raise all of these trout.

I am not against the stocking of trout. I like the tradition. I think it has benefits. But, something needs to change with it.

I predict lower & lower numbers of license sales going forward because interest in anything these days with a steep learning curve seems to be nonexistent and IMHO continuing to think it will change is a fantasy.
See the italicized text above. This is true. So many young people are so lazy and refuse to even try to think about things.

While someone who fishies as much as you are I may not feel that the cost of a licenses is high.

That person who fishes one or two days a year has a huge issue with shelling out 43 bucks for a license and a trout stamp. Unfortunately, the PFBC has chosen to depend on those individuals to fund the bulk of the agency.

It’s hard to go and do any kind of event for less than $30. Two nights camping in a state park is greater than $50. One professional sporting event is greater than $60 plus the parking and extras. The Community Arts Center in Williamsport, PA, charges $41 for the cheap seats to watch a play. One day at Kennywood is $37. The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire starts at ~$37 for a day. Kids sporting events and activities are much more expensive.

Plus the PFBC offers a couple days of Fish for Free Days and a One Day Licenses/with Trout ($30).

Not trying to argue and see it differently, but I think the $43 is a bargain even if only used a few times in a year.

So many young people are so lazy and refuse to even try to think about things.
+1. My wife is a HS teacher and the stories she tells me make me shudder about our future as a society. Kids either just don't do anything except play on their phones or are complete anxiety ridden, nervous wrecks that need therapy and meds to cope. It's scary that we're seeing a generation that might be lost. They can't function, forget about partaking in outdoor activities.

It’s hard to go and do any kind of event for less than $30. Two nights camping in a state park is greater than $50. One professional sporting event is greater than $60 plus the parking and extras. The Community Arts Center in Williamsport, PA, charges $41 for the cheap seats to watch a play. One day at Kennywood is $37. The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire starts at ~$37 for a day. Kids sporting events and activities are much more expensive.

Plus the PFBC offers a couple days of Fish for Free Days and a One Day Licenses/with Trout ($30).

Not trying to argue and see it differently, but I think the $43 is a bargain even if only used a few times in a year.
As someone who grew up from really humble beginnings, that amount of money can really be a big deal for some people.

As everything gets more expensive, people have to make cuts somewhere.

I agree with the fact that boomers are getting older and that they arent being replaced by the younger folk. In my area i see a few young ones fishing but not like when i was that age... Most of the folks i run into on my home streams are from other areas of pa.. that drive good distances to to fish these waters... So there may be less local kids fishing and older locals but there being offset by traveling fisherman..

+1. My wife is a HS teacher and the stories she tells me make me shudder about our future as a society. Kids either just don't do anything except play on their phones or are complete anxiety ridden, nervous wrecks that need therapy and meds to cope. It's scary that we're seeing a generation that might be lost. They can't function, forget about partaking in outdoor activities.
These kids have always been in every generation. They end up being the people that remodel your kitchens and pour your concrete driveway. Just because they don't understand and get angry about why they need to learn how to diagram a sentence or do a report on french history doesn't mean they aren't going to be productive members of society.

One minute its complaining about how these young flatbrimmer euro fishers are ruining this sport, the next minute its complaining about how lazy they are and dont want to do anything.

I don't know where you guys are fishing but when I fish central PA I am surrounded by college age kids on the stream. Same with when I went to Erie for steelhead.

My teenage son and his friends are always fishing the local ponds and rivers here.

Where are you getting this data that young people don't fish?

These kids have always been in every generation. They end up being the people that remodel your kitchens and pour your concrete driveway. Just because they don't understand and get angry about why they need to learn how to diagram a sentence or do a report on french history doesn't mean they aren't going to be productive members of society.
Yes, these people have always been around, but no, this is different. Now that I, too, am seeing the viewpoint from a high school setting, it is pretty dismal. Anything, and I mean anything that requires hard work, determination, and dedication is a rather large discouragement and impediment to younger kids wanting to even put forth the effort to excel at it.

There are still kids that break these molds, but the number is growing smaller it seems.

I think the newer technology and the influence of constant stimulation by YouTube shorts and social media is having a very negative effect. In the past, this didn't exist. Kids still had to go outside and play with rocks, stick, and mud and develop creativity and dexterity and whatnot.

I've said it many times, I think the PFBC should lose Mentored Youth Day and Fish for Free Days and develop a kick a$$ video game about fishing. It MIGHT generate some interest but regardless it will probably easily make up for the lost license sales revenue.
While it can be fun and fill time during a stormy day stuck in camp, Flyfishing Simulator HD will not encourage a kid to go fishing like the real thing will.

Back