Rough weather leads to decrease in Pa. fishing license sales down ~10%

I come from south of Scranton in the Springbrook area (North Poconos) where I was born. Coal heat, coal stoves, outhouses. TV was later on. Simple times. Big gardens and fruit trees. Canned everything. Chickens, Milk cows. Beef cattle (the best cuts were sold). When buying dry goods you told the store owner to "put in on the book" and settled on payday. We were poor but didnt know it. I thought everybody lived this way. My parents found a way to get a education which went a long way to a more convenient life.
Actually, you folks were rich and didn't know it.

we live on a rural stretch of road on an otherwise sparse suburban area, and SO MUCH trash is hurled down the bank onto our property. judging by the contents, a lot of them may be getting rid of evidence.

i’ve been buying fishing licenses for 50 years all over the U.S. and I think I’ve been checked twice. The only time I ever cheated was when I stopped on a whim and made a few fruitless casts on a river in Oregon (the Rogue? don’t remember) as a young guy while moving across the country to a new AF base. had not donned waders or anything, and was getting ready to leave. an officer pulled up almost immediately, and informed me that I was on a reservation. he was not happy with me at all but let me go. I never did that again!

Never knew the tear-shedding Indian was Italian! That goes back to the days of “I’d like to buy the world a Coke” campaign.

Thinking back and reading about how little I, and other folks here, had growing up always reminds me of this Monty Python skit - not meant to make fun of anyone here but I was always amused by these guys trying to outdo the other regarding how tough life was for them.

Trash seems much worse to me especially along the interstates and areas around cities like Philadelphia. What is definitely worse is the amount of plastics. With the recent studies on microplastics, the impact is much greater. While cans and glass bottles are ugly on the ground, they have little to no impact on the environment. Construction materials are also prevalent along many of the roads I drive.

Last edited:
Trash seems much worse to me especially along the interstates and areas around cities like Philadelphia. What is definitely worse is the amount of plastics. With the recent studies on microplastics, the impact is much greater. While cans and glass bottles are ugly on the ground, they have little to no impact on the environment. Construction materials are also prevalent along many of the roads I drive.
Totally agree, especially about the plastics. That's most of what I'm seeing.

Isn't that what they called it when she'd grab a team member's arm and whip her forward, sometimes into a competing skater? Other skaters did is too.

This thread has taken quite the interesting turn......

Back