Rod Repair Question

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

I want to take my 8 weight out tomorrow for some warm water action, but when I got it out I noticed the eye on the rod tip is loose. It doesn't fall off the rod, but it does turn around. What can I do to secure it in place? Its a graphite rod. Its just a cheap Cabelas Three Forks or something like that. I'm looking for a cheap, easy, quick repair idea.

Really? I was gonna use duct tape...(totally kidding!)

I'm just gonna assume I can use any old epoxy found at a hardware store or something, and I don't need to buy some fancy shmancy rod building/repair epoxy.

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/lofiversion/index.php/t12408.html

Hold a lighter under it and slide it off. Epoxy or hot glue back on.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I'm just gonna assume I can use any old epoxy found at a hardware store or something, and I don't need to buy some fancy shmancy rod building/repair epoxy.

I said /thread! LOL

Seriously though, Lowes or Home Depot (maybe Walmart or mom and pop stores) find the two part expoxy that is in a syringe. Chop off top, plunge small amount of contents (it distributes the two parts equally) into the plastic clam shell packaging cover. Mix it with something. Use something to apply it to the graphite. Stick tip on.
????
Profit

Glue stick is used by rod builders who want to be able to take the tip on and off, for obvious reasons that I shall not disclose because it will blow your mind. Let's just say it involves 42.

Thanks guys. I have to go to the hardware store after work this afternoon to pick up a few things for my house (we're listing tomorrow....once my house is on the market I'm going fishing! This whole "get the house on the market as fast as possible" thing has cut into my fishin' time), so I'll pick up what I need to fix this rod.
Thanks again
Andy

Back