Rod Blanks

W

wsender

I want to build my first rod. I was thinking something like a short 2-3wt for dry flies in tight quarters.

What would people recommend for a blank for a first time rod builder? Don't want to break the bank, but don't want junk either. Also, what kind of gear do I need to for building and what are some good resources for rod building?

Buy the kit from cabelas: Rainshadow blank in 6' 2 wt. for $65.

I personally think the rod building kit for $110 bucks is the way to go too, but others prefer the cardboard box method.

Kit

Building Kit

You'll invest in 1 rod what you would pay to buy a factory rod.

Check out the Hook and Hackle Co. (www.hookhack.com) and Batson Enterprises (www.batsonenterprises.com).

Hook and Hackle has a ton of stuff geared towards rod building. Lots of different pre-assembled build kits, or you can buy separate blanks and customize your components to your taste. Plus...you can call them if you need any advice or help.

The reason I have used Batson so far is that they make affordable blanks that, IMO, perform great. They have 3 different grades of graphite and explanations of each on their site.

Thanks for the replies so far. I should have mentioned I'm looking for something on the 'slow' side. A few of the links that have been posted are for fastish rods.

Mudhole.com has some good stuff as well, I would recommend getting a decent setup to build with so you're not upgrading the equipment right away, its simple stuff and worst case if you don't like it you can sell it to someone else. I would also suggest getting a kit like a rainshadow that will perform ok and not break the bank. If your cork work is done for you a lot of the frustration of making your grip is done.

Good luck and let us know how you made out

if you are looking for something on the slow side, then a 7ft 3wt glass blank is the way to go. PM me and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.

Batson and Pac Bay are very similar. The rod kit I linked earlier is a batson. I have built many of these rods and they are fast for a 6'er.

However, The Pac Bay version is slower. I own this rod and wouldn't hesitate to build another one.

RainForest

Still not bad At $90.

wsender wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far. I should have mentioned I'm looking for something on the 'slow' side. A few of the links that have been posted are for fastish rods.

If fiberglass is your desire, there's not much out there that's cheap, its mostly boutique makers.

Sniff around on ebay, there's occasionally deals to be had there, but other wise I think Lamiglass is the cheapest glass maker, and that's like $70 for the blank alone. Netcraft has a $17 5/6wt that most people consider a 7wt.

Moonbat, if you've got a line on a decent 5wt fiberglass blank for less than lami, I'd like to know. I bought a kit out of the Cabela's bargin bin to try out, but I don't really know of a blank that suits a need.

I want to do a "cbeap" rod before I lay down the money on a Steffan blank.

Gfen,
Steffen bros.make killer blanks and great rods too.I have a few i got from Silver Springs Outfitters when it was still in business,Brian Tartar was the single east coast dealer.I also shared a 9'6" 4/5 with Gary LaFontaine on the Lil Lehigh years ago when there were great classes at the shop there and Pat Mc Closkey was involved.
Go for it and get that blank Steffen is a Western U.S. favorite in certain circles in the know.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

wsender wrote:
I want to build my first rod. I was thinking something like a short 2-3wt for dry flies in tight quarters.

What would people recommend for a blank for a first time rod builder? Don't want to break the bank, but don't want junk either. Also, what kind of gear do I need to for building and what are some good resources for rod building?

Perhaps, you should consider dorber blanks. I built a slow action 10' 2wt for nymphing. It is great fun playing even smaller fish on this rod. There customer service is great. What's more, these rod blanks are made in the US. http://www.dorber.com/flyrodblanks.html
Another rod blank manufacturer worthy of consideration is St. Croix. http://www.stcroixrods.com/content/blanks/30
I recently read an article comparing 2 weight fly rods. The article contained helpful information, which might help one choose a manufacturer that meets given requirements. There are also rod blank terms and descriptions as well as fly rod component mention that could prove useful to the rod builder
http://flyfishohio.com/2-Weight_Shoot-Out/2-Weight_Rods.htm

sender,

if you are still looking, shoot adam an email at pasteelheader@gmail.com or check out his site, laurelridgerods.com

tell him halupka referred you. the kid knows his blanks and gets some great discounts.

you might want to check with phil at the kettle creek shop, he always has glass blanks in stock, along with tons of other stuff for building rods. his prices are very fair. no website, you'll have to find his number and contact him old school style, with a good old telephone!
his blanks get good reviews amongst the glass users out there.

bikerfish wrote:
you might want to check with phil at the kettle creek shop, he always has glass blanks in stock, along with tons of other stuff for building rods. his prices are very fair. no website, you'll have to find his number and contact him old school style, with a good old telephone!
his blanks get good reviews amongst the glass users out there.
Phil's glass rods are VERY nice. CALL FIRST to make sure he will be there. The first time Old Lefty took me into Phil's shop I was like a kid in a candy store. He has ALOT of flyrods! Phil is a nice guy to boot.

Back