res. and the fish?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

i was wondering the other day. what kind of trout do you think are in the water supply reservoirs? while you cant fish them and releaseing findings would tempt people to fish where they cant.....i just was thinking about it the other day. i wonder how big the browns are that made it to the clarks creek res? i bet there are some huge trout in there. i also wonder if the pfbc has ever studied this.

I have also wondered about this. Laurel Run Reservoir by 322 in the 7 Mountains has got to have some monsters. Maybe even brookies?
Jay P.

The water supply at hay creek used to hold some genetic freak bluegills and MONSTER bass.

At least I've been told....... ;-)

thats another question all together. wonder what kind of brookies could be in those res. all it takes is more room and food to get a big one! im interested in what the board thinks on this subject.

I've always wondered about Roaring Creek res. It was owned by a private company for like 100 years, and afaik is now open to public fishing. From what I gather there are some water quality issues, but I think they stock it. Anybody familiar with this area?

Boyer

do you mean the nepa roaring creek?

You might be able to find out about what kind of big trout are in the reservoirs by looking for them to make spawning runs in the fall.

The one north of mount carmel, so I guess yes. I was looking on a map one day to find new fishing places near home, but I read some conflicting reports and naver made it there. After looking at it on a map again I now realize I have driven past it several times. I should fish it some time to find out for myself.

Boyer

Stupid wrong county! I take back what I was gonna say!
Apparently there is another roaring creek that hs wild fish. Almost thought I had a hidden gem on my hands!

Boyer

oh ok thats not the one im thinking of. the one up north has 3 res. one section is class a(between res.), another is stocked and im not sure about the 3rd. im sure there is plenty of fish in those res.

I may be wrong about this, but I could swear tht you used to be able to fish laurel run reservoir by seven mountains.
I'm talking 10 to 15 years ago now, but I remember driving by it on 322, and seeing cars parked along the road there

Back in my college days, we would sneak up to some resevoirs that were posted and fish. The only thing I caught out of them were brook trout and I mean some monsters. This was before I started fly fishing but I still practiced C&R.

A neighbor of mine took his horse for a ride yesterday to a nearby resevoir and came back and told me I should be fishing there. It is posted and there is really only one way to fish it........get my point! Don't think I will be doing it anytime soon.

Wulffman has the right suggestion. I know of two brown populations that run from water supply reservoirs and theyre always a sight to see!

i can belive that a spawn run is a sight to see. i think to many people fish during those times though. sometimes its just better to watch. :-D

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
i can belive that a spawn run is a sight to see. i think to many people fish during those times though. sometimes its just better to watch. :-D

I remember the first time I fished the one run I was told there were browns up to 30" that ran and I took a friend along and he didn't believe it for one second. Then while fishing a pool we both watched as this whale of a brown just cruised right by us. My guess was 28-30". Never gave us a look. Ive only ever caught a few of the runners, a lot of people fish for them and way too many people keep them. Many just so they can enter their name in a big fish contest... many of you on here know what im talking about.

Just below Minersville PA is a Res. that supplies the town with its drinking water. Although it is closed to fishing i have fished it several times, this stemming from an incident where a water treatment worker tried to shush me from the water only after he fished along side of me for over an hour. Anyway i personally caught and released several trout over 20 inches from this dam. All browns and brooks. I have a friend who had a replica made of a brown he caught there with me on a blue gill while catty fishing. The thing weighed over 12 pounds and measured over 32 inches. Its was a hawg. The reall thing to see comes in November though. There is a class A trib that feeds the dam. During rifle season myself along with several hunting companions have seen a number of super large browns making their spawning runs. Every time i see it i'm in awe over it. I can only magine what runs above Dehort Damn that comes from Clarks. That might be worth checking out come fall.

should kept that one secret. again these runs are fragile. please i just wanted to know if anyone has seen it or heard of the pfbc studying this. please dont release locations. there will be 100 fisherman with 100 pound test the next time you go there. dont think im blasting you eballet. just remember to save the location but tell the story ;-)

Well Matt, you can check the PFBC web site, they found in a survey they found 7 brookies in the stream, only a few bass in the reservoirs and some other small populations of warm water species. When I fished there a couple of years ago I was greatly disappointed by this beautiful stream.
However there are other places to fish for large brookies that move out of reservoirs, though I won't reveal the names, I've fished about a dozen of them. Laurel Run along rt. 322 is supposed to have big browns, but after a day of fishing the stream in the fall, I'm not sure if they move out of the reservoir, we caught no big fish and only a few paultry brookies. I believe the stream to be imapcted by acid deposition.
Some others though can have very good fishing in the streams above. Go after a good rain and the trout move into the streams to feed. Again if the fall the trout move out of the reservoirs to spawn and some large trout can be found.

heres a pic i took before i got sick. lots of fish above this res.
a mess of fish

Dear sal,

Those 7 and 8 pounder browns that win the Patriot-News big fish contest don't come from the stocked portion of Clark's Creek I can tell you that much.

I've found a number of water supply reservoirs in BESF that hold some nice trout but you can't fish them so don't even try. You can walk around the water supply for McElhatten, PA and drool though. There are some real slam hogs in that place.

My Mom's Great Uncle was a caretaker and lived in a house on a water supply reservoir north of St. Clair on the Frackville Mountain. He had some nice pictures of trout he caught in the reservoir when he lived there.

If you want to see something cool go to Wallenpaupack Creek where it dumps into Lake Wallenapupack in late October or early November. Go two days after a big dump of rain and look at the stream carefully.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back