Releasing Fish

... About 5 years or so ago I added a quick squeeze between an Amadou patch to the "drying" steps. So the process is; Amadou squeeze, pop the fly STILL attached to the tippet in the Dry Ur Fly crystals, shake, remove fly, flick off the excess crystals and retreat with the floatant of your choice...
Before I saw the link in your post, I had no idea that Amadou was still available. I've even purchased Loon products before. I first read about it in a book written by an American who went to England to fish. His guide had some and said that it was initially used in early surgical practices to soak up blood. It will likely dry a fly better than my T-shirt sleeves.

Before I saw the link in your post, I had no idea that Amadou was still available. I've even purchased Loon products before. I first read about it in a book written by an American who went to England to fish. His guide had some and said that it was initially used in early surgical practices to soak up blood. It will likely dry a fly better than my T-shirt sleeves.

You can buy pieces of it on the cheap on eBay and Etsy and make your own drying patches or replace worn out or skimpy pieces on purpose made Amadou patches.

It really works better than anything I've tried including bandannas, T-shirts and even real chamois...

FWIW - I like the patches made by Veniards or Devaux.

They are harder to get but the patch is small and flexible which is better than stiff IMHO and the Amadou is nice and thick. There are some nice ready made versions on Etsy too.

Last edited:
All you need is a little bit of this (Vince not included)

Attachments

• download (4).jpeg
    download (4).jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
I was going to mention that ShamWow doesn't even work as well as real chamois on my car... ;)

Poor trout handling is a problem, to say the least. Aside from that, harvest the browns and rainbows. Do it for your local Brookie population!

I love that the guy who advises not playing a 5” brookie on the reel in order to keep your cyclic rate high uses a $475.00 Abel reel when he fishes for them.
*$375 because I dinged it on a rock.

Poor trout handling is a problem, to say the least. Aside from that, harvest the browns and rainbows. Do it for your local Brookie population!
Well, the only way for people to really improve fish handling is through direct practice. With new people joining the hobby of fishing all of the time there will always be those that need to learn to handle fish and, therefore, poor fish handling will always occur.

I treat the fish I catch with the UTMOST RESPECT........except for that part when I hook them in the face......sorry.....

By that definition, it's a crap measure for angling proficiency.

If you went to a little freestone stream and caught 60 brook trout in 3 hours. You caught
1 fish for every 3 minutes.

I went to the Letort and caught 9 Letort browns in 3 hours.
I caught 1 fish every 20 minutes.

Who was more of a proficient angler?
Not a crap measure, just highly subjective. To truly measure this we would have to have the anglers fish the same creek at the same spot in similar conditions.

In your comparison I would actually say that although the numerical value of the guy fishing the freestone is higher, you are a more proficient angler as it is more difficult to pull off what you did. I consider myself a moderately talented angler and I could easily pull off 60 fish in a several hours, probably more than 3 hours though, on my preferred native brook trout creek. I'm terrified to even attempt the Letort and also don't live close enough to it to fish it on the regular. I'd probably get a fat goose egg if I fished it.

Again, difficulty of the watershed needs to be factored in too, though again, that is subjective.

At the end of the day I don't know if we can quantify an angler's skill into real tangible data. I guess an angler can say that they can produce a certain result on a certain body of water. If another individual can't match those results then they are inferior. But again that just means that that angler can't replicate those results on the specific stretch of water.

In this sport there are too many factors to go off of that can give one angler an advantage over another. These factors can consist of casting competency, knowledge of the water being fished, knowledge of fly selection and how to fish said flies (and where to put them), gear advantages (this one can be easily overcome by angling skill, but still a factor), stealth, knowledge of how to use a rod, line, and reel effectively, and most importantly, time spent in the hobby. What makes this hobby truly amazing is the near-F1 levels of trying to perfect everything from the angler themselves all the way to their flies. The learning curve never really stops.

So at the end of the day a fish catching cyclic rate simply states that an angler catches a certain amount of fish over a certain period of time.

I wouldn't even say I am that concerned with a fish cyclic rate as others may be, I fish because it's something to do and we are in the season where it is beneficial to fish for trout. My cyclic rate for this week is poor, 11 trout over 4 days and I probably fished 3 hours each day, so my cyclic rate for easy to catch stockers is almost a quarter as fast as sixfootfenwick's Letort run where the trout are much more wary . I only keep time when fishing alone. I keep it on my cell phone so I won't keep track of the time if it rains.

Last edited:
Well, the only way for people to really improve fish handling is through direct practice. With new people joining the hobby of fishing all of the time there will always be those that need to learn to handle fish and, therefore, poor fish handling will always occur.

I treat the fish I catch with the UTMOST RESPECT........except for that part when I hook them in the face......sorry.....
I witnessed someone on Facebook use a mechanical grip on their prized pellet fed rainbow, holding it by the mouth. I too like supporting my body mass with my mouth...

I treat TROUT with the upmost respect, can't say the same for other species. If I drop a bluegill on the side of pond it may be kicked back into the pond.

I treat TROUT with the upmost respect, can't say the same for other species. If I drop a bluegill on the side of pond it may be kicked back into the pond.
So I don't fully understand this way of thinking. I remember as a youngster other kids would throw fallfish and suckers against walls while trout fishing...I guess they didn't value the bycatch as much as the prized gamefish.

I seriously treat EVERY FISH with respect unless it will be harvested for a purpose greater than being caught for enjoyment. Why does a bluegill not deserve the same respect a trout receives? Why would a fallfish deserve being thrown against a wall and not a trout? How can unwanton cruelty and unfair treatment to a species for no reason other than what species it is be okay? I enjoy, respect, and value every fish that was willing to be fooled, hooked, and pulled in so I can at least release it properly after the catch.

I seriously treat EVERY FISH with respect...

I'm a fisherman first and trout angler second so I couldn't agree more!! I even went to great lengths to procure different sized disgorgers from the UK so I don't hurt the panfish or other small fish I catch on bait.

The old golden rule I was taught was to spend AT LEAST as much time releasing or reviving a fish as you spent landing it.

I was kinda joking in that last post (minus the bluegill). I don't really kick them, just kinda nudge them in with my feet if I drop them on release (I intend to toss them back into the pond). They are some of the hardiest fish out there. I know this because as kids me and a friend wouldn't treat them very nicely, often batting them back into the pond with with sticks. Sometimes the fish exploded. We claimed our "bluegill killings" were a way to benefit the other species of a pond and allow them to grow. This is obviously foolish thinking. Maybe we just thought it was fun. We were just kids. I certainly find my actions abhorrent but it's something I did. I usually toss fallfish/suckers back into the water while standing up, basically dropping them back into the water. I will always place trout back into the water. I guess this boils down to my perceived durability of the fish so I am tossing back certain fish to increase my casting cyclic rate (wonder who is going to get their feathers ruffled by my mentioning of that awful "cyclic" word). It's not meant to be disrespectful to certain fish species, I just know that nudging a bluegill back into the pond won't necessarily hurt it. Bluegill also have those spines that make the fish annoying to grab. Interesting fact, apparently those spines have toxins in them. Not enough to kill you, but enough to cause a rash.

I don't understand the throwing of fallfish/suckers against a wall, that is out-of-line behavior for an angler and they should be reprimanded. I would definitely have something to say to individuals doing that. Maybe jack them up against a wall. Kinda of funny people are killing native fish that have a right to be there and consider stocked fish as the only fish worthy of the creek.

Last edited:
The old golden rule I was taught was to spend AT LEAST as much time releasing or reviving a fish as you spent landing it.
That's an interesting rule to live by, and I can respect it, but it's not necessary for the majority of the fish I catch. I'm not going to crouch down on the high bank of a pond to gently place a bluegill back into the the pond, a toss will suffice. If that makes me unsportsmanlike then so be it. If anyone questions the ethics of my releases they are more than welcome to watch/critique how I do it. Pay close attention, my releases are pretty quick. Don't expect to see a trail of dead fish behind me...

Last edited:
I play my fish as fast as I can because I really don't enjoy the fight as much as the "fooling" so it's not like I spend 5 minutes a fish reviving.

As far as other fish species go, I'm not ashamed to admit that when I really think about it, sunnies, perch, suckers & fall fish have given me some of the sweetest fishing memories of my life, more so than just about any trout or bass fishing experience of my life. That may be why I dedicate several outings fishing for nothing but several times a year.

To treat those fish with any less respect would be hypocritical and just ain't in me...

Anymore, trout are pretty much the only fish I pursue. It's native brookies mostly, but also some wild browns on occasion. Since most of these fish are on the small side, there's no reason for me to over-play them. I hook them, bring them in quickly, and release them just as quickly. ALWAYS with wet hands. I'll sometimes take a quick pic of the more colorful ones, or ones with a particular spot pattern. On rare occasions, I'll get a pic of one that's bigger than usual.

I think this has been mentioned before, but I’d like to think of holding a fish out of water as how long I can hold my breath, although I try to hold it out for 10 secs or so. The thing that’s really baffling to me is when people hold trout, or any other fish by the jaw. Imagine a person being held like that, that would surely hurt badly…

I feel there are 4 options for pictures.

1) Take None, best option for the fish, but the memory gets fuzzy in a hurry. For years I never carried a camera and I didn’t miss it. Now I have my phone and a waterproof camera with me all of the time.

2) Take a net photo. Another great option for the fish but hard to judge size, although coloration can be ok but washed out a little. These are both nice steelhead and they tend to look like 12”-15” trout in this setting.
EC6E15AA 060F 4BA7 BE7C B15EC1757A06 1482 00000227643C36C6
4903091C BC08 4875 88F5 0CA9B86076E7 1482 0000022786066391

3) If no one is with you, laying the fish on the bank hoping it doesn’t flop too much has some real pluses and a big minus. You get a pretty good idea of size and the coloration is usually very accurate. However if the fish flops at all there is a good chance of brain damage.
40BCDEFD B667 4AC9 BE08 3BF78D1B3EC0 1482 00000228341D18D0

4) If you fish with a friend the trophy can be kept in the net until the very moment the photo is taken and a very gentle release can be made. This is the best way for the fish’s health and are the best possible photos. If you don’t fish with a friend within a reasonable distance this is not an option.
IMG 3669

========
Here’s the article on steelhead brain damage

Last edited:
========
Here’s the article on steelheader brain damage

Fixed typo for you 🤣🤣

People and their phones and hero photos! It's almost as if the photo is the whole reason for fishing. I used to take photos and now I don't bother. I never looked at them and no one else cares about seeing them. Phones are enough of a distraction without needing to dig it out of my waders while dealing with a fish and rod and net. What is more annoying than having some joker waste your time while scrolling through hundreds of photos looking for the big one they just have to show you. If you've seen one you have seen them all. Now you have all these guys walking around with go pro cameras attached to record every second of their fishing. Ugh!

As I’ve gotten older a lot of the people I fished with as I grew up (my father’s friends) were great mentors to me. They also made being at fish camp very enjoyable. Most are gone. We didn’t take many pictures back then but the ones I do have are cherished.

Similarly my friends are now beginning to pass and having pictures of those folks that I find stashed here or there have been uplifting to me. It brings me back to a good time and place.

I once was told that initially the fish or game was the reason the photo was taken, but as time passes it is the people in the photo is what is most cherished. That rings true for me.

Back