Releasing Fish

Your cyclic rate for those 5 inch brookies has to be abysmal.
A lot of times I'm not even moving line in or out of the rod, I just lift the rod when I get one and try to bump it off, then it's recast and repeat, while occasionally wringing out my dry in my shirt before tossing it into the powder floatant jar for a few shakes.
So we're probably pretty similar.

1. I don't fish with slack line between the reel and stripper guide, like, ever. My line is always tight to the reel. I clamp down on the line with the rod hand during the drift. If you get a hit, you set, let go of the line, and you're on the reel, just like that.

2. On brookie streams, there ain't much line out, there ain't much actual reeling involved, it's just a rod lift as you said. But I'm still on the reel.

I think this got driven home to me from steelhead fishing, which was a large portion of my fishing in my early fly fishing days. Set your drag right, LET GO OF THE LINE ASAP, and let the reel do the work. I don't do a lot of steelhead fishing these days, but it stuck.

And for me that powder floatant is what's waaaayyy too slow as far a cyclic rate. Gink and blow.

Thank you for clarifying @pcray1231. I was confused by what you meant with the 5 inch brookies on the reel. Now it makes sense.

Funny enough, because I wasn't indoctrinated on steelhead or have fished for them long enough, the notion of having to simply let them run never occurred to me until after I broke off a few. I am used to just hand-lining all of my fish in. I also had to learn how to apply side pressure and to position myself downstream from the fish to make the fish wear out faster. Inherently, I just think of my reel as a line holder, only using it once I am done fishing an area. We have different ways to get the same job done, and both are valid.

Now that you mention that the use of powder style floatant as being slower than Gink I may stop using floatants altogether. I'm obsessed with getting my dries to ride high on the small creeks where I am running dry/droppers. I like to ensure my fly can keep a 2.5-3.0mm beaded dropper afloat. A buddy of mine gets really irritated with the amount of floatant I use and says that "needs more floatant" is my tag line. Do you pretreat your dries before fishing? I know some people pretreat their dries with a hydrophobic coating. I have not experimented with that yet but may give it a go.

To all (besides Cray), if the notion of a cyclic rate offends you, yours might need improvement.

I’m offended because I have no idea what cyclic rate means and this site seems to be the only google hit for it.
Liken it to Rate of fire which is the frequency at which a specific weapon can fire or launch its projectiles.

If you do vwxyz before you cast, shortening what you do to xyz before you cast will lead to more casts in a day, which can ultimately lead to more fish caught.

To me it's silly, I just go fish and enjoy myself. Im done analyzing the sport to find tune myself into some kind of super fly angler.

A good lunch, the good book, a tree to lean against and a few casts are good enough for me.

...Now that you mention that the use of powder style floatant as being slower than Gink I may stop using floatants altogether. I'm obsessed with getting my dries to ride high on the small creeks where I am running dry/droppers. I like to ensure my fly can keep a 2.5-3.0mm beaded dropper afloat. A buddy of mine gets really irritated with the amount of floatant I use and says that "needs more floatant" is my tag line. Do you pretreat your dries before fishing? I know some people pretreat their dries with a hydrophobic coating. I have not experimented with that yet but may give it a go...

I wrote this short novel to offer a couple of tips and detail a few misconceptions regarding floatants:

1. One of the biggest misconceptions I see out there regarding floatants is they can be AS EFFECTIVE reapplied to flies that are still wet/damp.​
2. The other misconception is that pure hydrophobic fumed silica (think Frog Fanny) is a desiccant meaning it will dry your fly as well as make it float.​
3. Pre-treating flies with anything is worth the effort.​
4. Combination powdered floatants containing a desiccant (think silica gel crystals) and hydrophobic fumed silica are the answer to #1.​

First of all, a CLEAN & DRY floating fly treated with anything will float better than a slightly damp fly that you re-treat, UNLESS you effective dry it with something FIRST. Reapplying Frog Fanny isn't the way to make that happen. Reapplying Frog Fanny to a damp or wet fly will also cause the fine powder to become embedded in the dubbing which in effect makes the fly heavier and shortens the benefit from application.

The same thing goes for silicone based products applied to a damp fly ESPECIALLY if they are not liquefied but congealed at room or stream temperatures.

For at least 500 years I have using Cortland Dry Ur Fly crystals to dry off flies I have been fishing BEFORE I retreat them with any type of floatant. Dry Ur Fly is super fine silica gel crystals that make short work of drying off your fly because the crystals are so fine they really get into the materials, something the larger crystals you find in combination powdered floatants or even the packets found in electronics can't accomplish.

I'm not positive Cortland still makes Dry Ur Fly but it can be found in fly shops because I'm about the only one still buying the stuff. ;) A worthy substitute is very fine silica gel crystals used for drying flowers.

About 5 years or so ago I added a quick squeeze between an Amadou patch to the "drying" steps. So the process is; Amadou squeeze, pop the fly STILL attached to the tippet in the Dry Ur Fly crystals, shake, remove fly, flick off the excess crystals and retreat with the floatant of your choice.

It sounds like a pain in the arse and it is, but it only takes a few seconds and the "dried" fly is about as dry as it was when you first took it out of the fly box. If you dry first, you get WAY more bang for your buck when you redress it versus not effectively drying. In other words, you will use less floatant and dress less...

I should also mention that I don't find it necessary to do the drying and redressing thing after each fish, only after several and I attribute that to not having moisture or embedded stuff in the flies BEFORE I redress them.

The other thing I am adamant about is when a fly gets slimed up or just doesn't seem to float as long, I cut it off and tie on a fresh one. Years ago I used solvent based floatants that were SUPPOSED to clean off the slime but if you don't allow those liquid floatants to completely evaporate before the next cast, even the floating benefit is short lived.

Paste or silicone based floatants repel water great, however they eventually load up dubbing and other materials on your fly with silicone making the flies slightly heavier so that they sink faster despite being treated. For that reason I have completely abandoned the use of liquid or gel floatants and just use hydrophobic fumed silica applied to a clean dry fly.

Even a soaked retired fly is like new the next fishing trip if is hasn't been gunked up with silicone.

In regards to pre-treating flies, it definitely helps for awhile if you have the time and inclination. However in my experience once the fly got effectively soaked the first time it didn't respond to floating well again if I just dried it out in the field or floated any longer if dried and redressed with floatant or Frog Fanny than a fly NOT pre-treated. For that reason, I don't bother any longer.

The other thing I should mention that can help drown a floating fly is a leader sinking badly or getting pulled under by micro currents. For that reason when I want the maximum amount of float when I'm not trying to fool some Mensa trout, I will grease my leader all the way up to the fly. In my experience, 99% the fish could care less...

Hopefully some of this drivel my benefit someone...

I’m offended because I have no idea what cyclic rate means and this site seems to be the only google hit for it.

Dan,

When you fish, you can have fun OR you can worry about cyclic rate, count your casts per fish, casts per hour and fish per hour.

Personal opinion, fish and have fun. If you are doing it to feed a family of 11 or get paid based on your fish per hour count....it might matter.

Bam, your drying process is basically the same as mine. Pretreating the fly prior to use is perhaps the most important step.

Last edited:
Cyclic rate refers to the amount of fish caught over a certain period of time in the context of what I am talking about. It's a ratio consisting of a fish number divided by time. Some use this as a level of angling proficiency, one of the few tangible data points one can collect on angling proficiency.

In the context of what I was describing with Cray, I suspected that his cyclic rate would suffer because of the time it would take to reel in each fish would take more time as opposed to simply lifting the fish. However, having read Pcray's response I he does not fish the way I thought so so I can no longer say he is taking a deficit with his cyclic rate. My overall jest at him for not having a good cyclic rate was due to not understanding how he fishes, which is a pretty big gaff on my part considering he is a good angler.

I think the reason we as anglers try to seek performance attributes in this sport is because there isn't really a whole lot to go off of.

Cyclic rate refers to the amount of fish caught over a certain period of time in the context of what I am talking about. It's a ratio consisting of a fish number divided by time. Some use this as a level of angling proficiency, one of the few tangible data points one can collect on angling proficiency.

In the context of what I was describing with Cray, I suspected that his cyclic rate would suffer because of the time it would take to reel in each fish would take more time as opposed to simply lifting the fish. However, having read Pcray's response I he does not fish the way I thought so so I can no longer say he is taking a deficit with his cyclic rate. My overall jest at him for not having a good cyclic rate was due to not understanding how he fishes, which is a pretty big gaff on my part considering he is a good angler.

I think the reason we as anglers try to seek performance attributes in this sport is because there isn't really a whole lot to go off of.

Wait a minute, there's a bit of assumption going on here. How do you know that I don't hook a fish, jump from the boat utilizing my Olympic level sprint speed and release the fish versus a conventional fight as my gear was designed for ?? 😁

I don't worry about catch rate as it completely destroys the purpose of my being on the water. I've caught plenty and I'm sure I'll catch a few more before they toss my rotting shell into a landfill.

As far as releasing a fish, condensed fight, rubber net, keep them wet and I do take pictures of some. It might be a particular spot pattern or an exceptionally pretty fish, it could be a fish that was in a difficult position that I tried to get several times or it might be a bigger size fish. I take a few here and there but the photo consists of rapid fire camera shots and about 1 to 2 seconds out of the water.

I get what you’re saying and if that’s your thing then go for it.

Personally, when I fish, I am not in it to win per se. Don’t get me wrong, I do like to catch fish however, what I enjoy most is getting out into a nice setting and having a relaxing time. I can sit along a trout stream for an hour or 2 watching fish rise and not feel that I’m missing out. I can float down the river for an hour or more and just enjoy the float while shooting the bull with my buddy. But hey, that’s just me doing what I like to do.

As far as cyclic rate, I guess when I’m at camp with my buddies it may apply beverages consumed to pee call. 😂🤓

By that definition, it's a crap measure for angling proficiency.

If you went to a little freestone stream and caught 60 brook trout in 3 hours. You caught
1 fish for every 3 minutes.

I went to the Letort and caught 9 Letort browns in 3 hours.
I caught 1 fish every 20 minutes.

Who was more of a proficient angler?

I appreciate the explanations. Glad I found the nerd hang - I love that stuff - but I’m still in the part where I’m trying to learn to catch them on the fly rod

I love that the guy who advises not playing a 5” brookie on the reel in order to keep your cyclic rate high uses a $475.00 Abel reel when he fishes for them.

I basically never put any fish on the reel of any species unless they run out all of the line already stripped off that I have in my left hand. I also don't "play fish out." I haul em in fast as I possibly can given the setup and conditions.

The amount/number of fish I catch on a trip has little to do with how much I enjoy the trip. There are just too many factors here to list in a short post and I am too lazy to write a long PCray style post. Oh well. I never thought of a cyclic rate at all, but to each their own.

My brookie reel of choice - my Okuma Sierra I bought right when I got into fly fishing with a SA AirCel line.

Back