Recent Rain

Dear wildtrout2,

The Susquehanna in Vestal NY is forecast to hit 21 ft which is a moderate flood. By the time all that water plus the additional 3 to 5 inches forecast for almost the entire state of PA gets to Harrisburg smallmouth fishing will be dead until after Labor Day, maybe longer. It's not like Spring when trees really need water and can suck it up. I had stressed trees dropping leaves in my yard now.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Yeah Tim, it will be a while before the smalllie fishing in the rivers will be a thing to do.

Hopefully there will be no major damage and everything and everyone will be okay.

We can't lose sight that fishing isn't as important as peoples lives and their homes.

Absolutely. One of my best days on a Potter county stream had those exact conditions. Still up fairly high with that aqua/greenish color to it. You can get a bit closer without spooking them.

I remember fishing Cross Fork one afternoon immediately after a gully washer of a thunderstorm that sent a river of chocolate brown muddy water down a road into the creek. The creek wasn't TOO high but it was muddy.

I went about 100 yards below the entry point of the run-off and immediately knotted on a Bead-head Prince nymph under a small indicator and absolutely clobbered 'em. 🙂

The fishing was so good and hassle free that even when the water cleared, I stuck with that nymph until some hatches came off at dusk.

Reactions: CRB
I agree , a big night crawler with a bigger hook . I can name a few cricks if you ask. GG

I agree , a big night crawler with a bigger hook . I can name a few cricks if you ask. GG

Dear gulfgreyhound,

Who needs a nightcrawler when you still have some of my brother Terry Murphy's size 2 black and olive lead-eyed Wooly Buggers with a size 12 treble stinger hook. It's a can't miss combo and you don't even have to wade. Just jig it right tight to the bank and hang on!

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Penns, so blown out right now.

Great problem to have for August.
Did ya see updated rainfall projection for Lewistown? 6.6"!!!!!! Now, that was only off of one news channel that I was watching this morning, but DAMMMMNNNNN!

Close to 7" of rain in one day is a lot. Even if we get 4", that's a lot.

In the last 4 hours, Susky at Harrisburg went from estimated flow of 53k to 233k for 8am Sunday 😳😳

Bass fishing will be over....for a while. I typically estimate 7-10 days for water surges from Binghamton to run through Harrisburg.

Going to be a LOT of black dots on the USGS map tomorrow.
Dear wildtrout2,

There will also be a lot of red and maybe some bright red dots on the MARFC page too. I hope nothing catastrophic happens.

Warmwater river fishing is dead until at least Labor Day. Even when the rivers come back in their banks a thundershower will muddy the rivers back up because the banks will be loaded with river mud.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I live in the part of the map that was showing orange. Low low low - yesterday before the rain. Somerset County is in drought.

Parts of Linn Run which is very nearby to me are dry. Mile long stretch’s are dry. Here are some pics from yesterday of the stream. If Route 381 isn’t flooded , I’ll take the dog for a ride to look the stream later today.

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    700.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1537.jpeg
    IMG_1537.jpeg
    648.2 KB · Views: 63
I live in the part of the map that was showing orange. Low low low - yesterday before the rain. Somerset County is in drought.

Parts of Linn Run which is very nearby to me are dry. Mile long stretch’s are dry. Here are some pics from yesterday of the stream. If Route 381 isn’t flooded , I’ll take the dog for a ride to look the stream later today.
Does that normally hold trout?

Totals continue to drop in my part of south central PA. Coupled with the rain we got earlier in the week though, everything should be up for quite some time.

This is much needed though. I felt like all the other storms this year just missed me.

Does that normally hold trout?
Yes it does. It holds natives, not in very good numbers in comparison to many other streams. It gets stocked but it flows through a state park and is never more that 50 yards from blacktop- so I can understand why it gets stocked.

A trough in the radar developed through central pa for a few hours this am. My neck of the woods had very light rain from 3am to 7.

Yes it does. It holds natives, not in very good numbers in comparison to many other streams. It gets stocked but it flows through a state park and is never more that 50 yards from blacktop- so I can understand why it gets stocked.
My uncle lives in Somerset, but I've never fished any trout streams in the area for some reason. The only stream I'm really aware of is Laurel Hill, but I know it's gets very low as spring ends and summer approaches.

Did ya see updated rainfall projection for Lewistown? 6.6"!!!!!! Now, that was only off of one news channel that I was watching this morning, but DAMMMMNNNNN!

Close to 7" of rain in one day is a lot. Even if we get 4", that's a lot.
on the bright side it will help thin the grass in some sections making it less bothersome in late September

Who was saying North Central needs rain? Check back in about 4 hours and tell me if that's still the case 😳

The last 12 hours was a mix of gentle and heavy rain with brakes that allowed some of that stuff to soak in finally. My lawn looks like a grew 6 in in the last 48 hours

We're catching a break with this storm, since it's going up through the center of the state. Usually these storms tend to travel up along the coast. Let it rain.

Back