Quill Gordon Summit Roll Call and Food Prep!

Brad we are quite open to your guided suggestions! You can PM me your personal guide book ;-)

There are several that have my interest, but it is probably best to just decide, based on current conditions.

I've learned over the years, the best plan is no plan, just let it happen!

I may go. Phish, I'll send you an email once I check my schedule.

I'm in for Thursday I'll leave here in the morning.

Cool. Try to give me an estimate of your arrival, Coty. I want to make sure we're around when you arrive! Plenty of time to figure that out.

Thought I was clear for the whole session, but wifey wants us to do a concert Friday in Princeton. How long's the drive from West Chester? I would have to drive up Sat am and come back whenever.

tl
les

It's probably about 4 hours from West Chester, Les. Traffic on a Saturday morning should be pretty clear and easy.

BradFromPotter wrote:
I know everyone wants to fish over a Quill Gordon hatch, but I would make sure I had plenty of Blue Quill dries on hand. I have found trout prefer Blue Quills over Quill Gordons when they are hatching at the same time.

How are things looking down there? Are hatches progressing as expected?

Most of my QG experience is on the Beaverkill in the Catskills. They are a thrill to see hatching, but I've never seen much dry fly action with them. Since they hatch underwater, I get the impression a winged wet or softie would do better. When there is rising, it's been to the small black caddis or BQs.

tl
les

email from Slate Run Tackle on 3/28

The largest numbers of flies are still the black stone,brown stone, and brown caddis in medium brown and a ginger brown. We've seen a few Quill Gordons,some Hendricksons,red quills,and March Browns - these hatches are still very light. The blue quill is present and seems to have been more abundant on Slate and Cedar. An angler was in the shop today who caught a small brownie on the surface with a black caddis (probably taken for a black stone fly). Light and dark midges are also abundant. Best activity is middle to late afternoon. And,the flies appear to be a larger size again this year.

March browns this early???

yeah that report doesn't sound right. Even hendricksons sound early for this year. I know they hatched early last year but this has been a more normal year and I can't imagine march browns hatching right now.

We see these kinds of reports from Slate Run every year, it seems. I think it's just the normal sparse hatches going on. Doesn't mean the big hatches are early or anything. At least, that's what everyone tells me!

Yeah I wouldn't get in a twist. I'm sure that if anything is happening it's pretty sparse.

It's way too cold. Last year we were late for the QG (and right on time for the MB!!!!), and it was much warmer than it is this year.

turkey wrote:
Yeah I wouldn't get in a twist. I'm sure that if anything is happening it's pretty sparse.
Don't you sleep?

Back