Portable fly tying station.

Yotrout

Yotrout

I am enjoying learning to tie flies almost as much as i am enjoying learning to use them. My current table is a workbench with a cut piece of 3/4" ply clamped to it. I am wondering if anyone has built there own portable fly tying box or has pics of one i could get some ideas from. So far i only tied a few wooly buggers and some pheasant tail nymps so i really have no idea what materials and/or tools i will utilize in the future. I need the station to be on the smaller side and portable as i will be taking it to our mountain house almost every weekend. Thanks ahead.

The Oasis Fly Factory is what I use, I think it will be perfect for you, google it and you should find it.If you can't let me know and I will tell you where I got mine.

You can get smaller ones that I know other guys on this forum use, maybe they will chime in.I really like the Fly Factory.

my portable tying station is a cheapo Griffin Superior vise clamped to my tailgate...

Atlantis, Thanks for the resource. Not exactly what im looking for though. They seem to be more table top designs. I need something like those but fully enclosed with some storage.

Tool or tackle box and a C clamp base.

If its not fancy enough, get a wooden tool chest like a Gerstner, or a knockoff.

Tool or tackle box and a C clamp base.

If its not fancy enough, get a wooden tool chest like a Gerstner, or a knockoff.

Contact Jdaddy and maybe you could make a nice donation to his TU for one of his amazing stations he has built.

Lrsabecker, Who is that girl?

I don't care if it's fancy or not just has to be convenient. Like an all in one type thing.

Iv'e been googling to get some ideas. I saw a picture of one made of wood with a tab that attaches to the outside to mount the vise to but if my memory serves me correct it was almost $300. I Might just attempt to build one myself.

Like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html

I figured you'd pop in with that.

That's the fake Gerstner, if you're lucky jdaddy will popin to the thread with a Harbour Freight coupon to wrap it all up.

Thats kind of big. I saw a blank box in A.C. Moore a bit ago i think i can modify to work. If it works ill post pics. If not, ill throw it in the fireplace.

We had a few members make and donate these to our chapter for a fundraiser. Pretty sweet for $75. You can clamp a vice on either side, it has a tool caddy and you can store lots of materials.

Attachments

• Flyboxes.jpg
    Flyboxes.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 4

Jeez, that's nice get jdaddy the plans and get a percentage of the profits.

I put a couple of photos of two different tying stations in the swap forum. I like the one Maurice posted for on the road travel.

That's actually what I want, something decent that bangs around my car.

I've hefted cigar boxes, but nothing as efficent as that thing up there.

Maurice that thing is way cool man, way cool! and knowing the Tully TU don't get the proceeds is a bonus.

Wait does your TU put ripper barriers in a shale bottom stream that is 50' wide and 18" deep. If so I'm no longer interest they can get there funding else where.

Hey we still have a couple left.....just sayin.

Back