Pontoon / Float tube

Acristickid

Acristickid

Anyone have experience with these crafts?

How would you say they stack up vs. a kayak? Different uses come into play.

Kayaks (more expensive) seems like it would cover much more ground- ie. easier to paddle distances. But probably harder to cast from.

Pontoons seem more stable a safer for rivers and streams than float tubes. Pontoons seem to be much more expensive and much heavier.

Probably not gonna be able to carry the pontoon boat real far- or at least as far one could carru a float tube.

A float tube seems fine for lakes (as long as the wind is not howling) vs. a pontoon which seems better for rivers.

Thoughts on these?

What about transport? Can you fit any in a car- with out taking it apart? How about fully inflated?

Do these have a standard valve for filling? Do you use an electric pump?

Think it opens up alot more opportunity for warm water fly fishing.

Thanks for any shared thoughts.

examples:

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?series=5

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?hvarSearchString=fishing+float+tubes&searchOption=products&x=0&y=0&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&cm_mmc=New_Google_AdWords-_-S-Fishing_General+-+S-Fishing_Float_Tubes-_-Phrase+match+search+3277396375-_-fishing%20float%20tubes%7C-%7C100000010000000137913&cm_guid=1-_-100000010000000137913-_-3277396375

acristickid, I have used a float tube, but only a few times. I now have a solo canoe and a sit on top kayak. Love both of those for fly fishing. Casting is no problem from a yak or canoe. I use a 7 ft rod...originally used a 9 ft rod because I thought I needed to get high off the water. Found that not to be true...somebody told me "you don't need a longer rod, you need to learn how to cast".
Here is what I have heard in the way of cons for pontoons. If you are on a river or lake for that matter, if the wind kicks up even a little bit, you are like a big sail on top of the water....if it is blowing up stream, you will have a tuff float down river. The yak is low profile and wind doesn't affect it as much...canoe is a bit higher and gets pushed more than the yak. You can row them, but they don't move close to a canoe or yak. They are stable and comfortabe, but they take time to set up and tare down. The yak sits on top of your car and is in the water in minutes. The yak - SOT is extremely stable up to class II water. I don't do class III. Same for my canoe.
I float the Delawer river, Skuke river, Lehigh river and many lakes, streams and ponds.
If you opt for a toon, I would look into an electric trolling motor.
My 2 cents...hope you get more opinions from guys that use toons.

schiff- thanks for the comments.

Seems like the crafts all have their pros and cons and that not one is a perfect for all types of fishing.

At least that is what I have discovered- I own a Wilderness Systems "Seacret" kayak (probably 10+ years old) and it has always been a challege to fish from for me.

Although I have never had it in very slow water- or even a lake or pond. Hard to fish while your in motion.

Transport is a bit of a challenge at 12-14 feet long (I dont recall the exact specs) now that I don't own a truck anymore.

I dont have any immedate plans for a new craft but I am pretty sure I will buy a float tube some day.

Kayaks sure have come along way in the last 10-15 years.

Here's the yak.

Attachments

• yak.jpg
    yak.jpg
    907.3 KB · Views: 4
I have float tubes and a kayak. For fly fishing I find the float tube a relaxing and far less hectic way to fish. Since you use the same parts (arms) for locomotion on the yak as you do for casting, you have to do one or the other. I've gotten pretty good at one armed rowing but it still a pain. Gently kicking your feet while tying tippet or fly or casting or lighting your cigar is something you get from a tube you can;t get from any other watercraft.

The only thing you can't do in a float tube you can do in a kayak or canoe is capsize. You have a working space right in your lap. You can turn around and fish that rise behind you immediately. You won't get from pt A to pt B in a big hurry but its not that slow if you kick properly.

Tubes are NOT meant for moving water. However my opinion on safety is that you should never fish moving water while soloing in a boat anyway. Talk about hectic and being at the river's mercy.

I have 2 tubes...one of them I need a new motorcycle tube for the backrest. I'd be willing to have t try it before you spend your money. I will tell you this...if you are going out west, you will find yourself using a similar craft of some kind. Everyone says I only like to fish moving water until they get near a western lake.

TG- thanks for the offer. Someday.

I've been looking at yaks off and on. To Tom's point about using the arms, some of the ones specifically outfitted for fishing (Hobie and Native have them) that have foot pedals for propulsion. I don't have any experience with them but the guys i've talked to all rave about the feature.

Dear acristic,

I have 2 float tubes having worn out the two tubes I owned previously. Like Tom said they are a great way to fish and your hands are free to fish without having to steer or propel the craft.

I have two pontoon style float tubes, a Waterskeeter pontoon type and Caddis Navigator. I bought both for under $ 100.00 each at Sierra Trading Post, they are constantly on sale and with the coupons Sierra e-mails frequently you can often get an additonal 20 or 30% off the sale price.

I am not encouraging you to use a tube on moving water but thousands of people do it every year and with a little sense they never have a problem. Don't run whitewater or water you are not familar with, just get out and walk and you will be fine.

Before the advent of pontoons float tubes were pretty much it in portable fishing craft. Twenty years ago I fished the Green in Utah people were floating it in donut tubes and in the two weeks I was there no one who ventured out failed to return.

I will also say that if you are using a float tube legally on any lake in PA with the exception of those completely on PA Game Commission property you must wear a PFD while floating and fishing.

In moving water if you if you wear a PFD you are already inherently safer than 99.9% of the people you will ever see in a canoe or a kayak, when was the last time you saw anyone on a summer float wearing one?

I also own a Cabela's Fishcat Panther pontoon boat and I like it for the same reason that I like the tubes. My hands are free to fish and drink beer! ;-)

Like someone said above, you can't go very far upcurrent in a pontoon under oar power and you can have difficulty traveling downstream in an upstream wind, but that's a fair trade off to me.

As far as transporting tubes most of them inflate and deflate rapidly with the proper pump and can be stored slightly inflated in the trunk of the smallest car. They are very easy to transport on land since they only weigh about 5 to 10 pounds when fully inflated.

Pontoons are another story. To transport them totally secure and inflated you absolutely need a full sized truck or a Suburban like vehicle to handle even a 7 or 8 footer. I can tell you that I have a buddy who has traveled 100 miles plus on the Interstate with his 10 foot pontoon fully inflated and assembled on top of his S-10 Blazer's roof rack. He's never had and trouble doing that, so a car with a quality rack and crossbars like those made by Thule or Yakima will be able to do the same thing.

On land there are number of commercially available wheel kits that allow you to move a pontoon like a wheelbarrow. The wheels detach and fold up for storage on the boat. I also know people who are handy who made their own dolly wheels out of a wheels they either bought or found for much less than the commercial wheels sell for.

The big plus for any inflatable is that once they are deflated you can store them in a studio apartment. Try doing that with a kayak?

Ask me any questions you want either here on the message board or via a PM and I'll do my best to answer them with my experiences or point you in a direction where you can find the answer.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Tim- thanks for the thoughts.

I think that amount of info will hold me for a little while. Certainly will take you up on offer if I need some further advice.

Thanks Paul

Yeah. not really thinking...I guess I'll have to wait for your return unless you want to take one with you?

Okay, here is my opinion about float tubes and pontoons, based on my experiences out West. I have both, and it really just depends on the situation. They may not translate here in PA, but here you go:

Pontoon
Pros: I love these for stillwater. For lake fishing, I don't think there is a better craft than a Dave Scadden Skykomish Sunrise pontoon. You can carry all the gear you need, your butt stays dry, and if you get a pontoon with a standing platform, it really helps you cover more ground over a large body of water (i.e. Strawberry Reservoir). Also, on rivers like the Green in Utah, the Maddy or Henry's Fork in Idaho, pontoons can make for an epic multi-day float trip. And they are plenty stable enough for the rapids that you'll face.
Cons: unless you have a trolling motor (Minn Kota 36 lb. thrust) pontoons can be a beast when the winds whip up. The higher profile of a pontoon gets you pushed around. Also, you are limited in what you can do because you can't pack it around. Size is also an issue; pontoons are more bulky and you need an SUV or a truck to transport them.

Float Tube
Pros: Easy to pack. When I do high-altitude hike-n-fish trips in the Uintahs or Rocky Mountain National Park, the float tube is king. For smaller water, they are perfect. Also, when the winds whip up, you have a low enough profile and enough drag with half your body in the water to stay put.
Cons: I don't feel nearly as safe in a float tube as I do in a pontoon. Float tubes don't do rivers too. You'll break an ankle. You can't pack nearly as much either. I like being able to stay out on a lake all day without having to go in for lunch or water.

Now all that being said, Dave Scadden does make a watercraft that doesn't take up space, is easier to pack, and handles like a pontoon. Check out the North Fork Outfitters Outlaw series. These crafts are seeheeexxxyyy! I got a chance to use one while chasing tiger musky, and they are the best crafts on the water. They are pricey, but I am going to get the X5 as soon as the funds allow.
http://www.store.northforkoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=54

Raff- thanks for the info and welcome to PA.

Have fished Cheesman and 11 mile- excellent. Ever been to Downstairs at Eric's- not even sure that is still there?

I am headed west in a few weeks.

As far a tips for PA- you cannot go wrong in central PA.

I definitely recommend a canoe over kayak for river fishing.Bring your deer out-easier to carry stuff.

neither would be useful for fishing from on rivers like yellowstone or Madison.Great to get into away from the road places.
Float tube for lakes.
less wind resistance
One word of advice-coming out of a side stream-don't shoot into main river sideways-don't ask-lol
I can honestly claim to have swam across the mighty Mo. in a snowstorm,in my bvds.

I have a hobie with foot propulsion
good for water a foot deep or so-would not suggest for river fishing-tear up the paddles in no time

Dear acristic,

If your heart is set on an inflatable conveyance I'm going to recommend two that are easy to store and pack and that will handle any water in PA with ease.

Watermaster rafts or something like them. My old link to Watermaster doesn't work but these are similar.

http://wildernessaccess.com/inflatable-fishing-boats.htm

Someone here on this site has one of these. He sent me a picture of his raft about 2 years ago when I asked about inflatables for fishing. I wish I could remember his name? He uses it on Penn's and the Little Juniata and I'm almost certain that he is from out your way near Pittsburgh?

These SOAR boats will handle anything you could ever imagine getting involved with. My dream boat is a 12 footer, maybe a 14. In all the websites I've ever visited in search of the perfect inflatable fishing craft the only complaint I have ever seen regarding these boats is their price.

If I had hundies shooting out my blowhole I'd own several.

http://www.soar1.com/soar_cat.htm

I have no personal stake in any of these recommendations. I have researched inflatable fishing pontoons and float tubes since I joined the internet in 1997.

I bought cheap with Cabela's bucks and some prodigious discounts from STP but if you want to do a "one and done" purchase you may want to consider one of these offerings?

Don't overlook Buck's Bags products either, especially from this retailer. I've never heard a bad word spoken about him other than maybe he didn't have it in stock?

http://www.outdrs.com/xcart/home.php

I can provide enough links and knowledge about inflatable craft that the next time you see me you will likely shoot me just to keep your head from exploding.

Just give the word!

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Tom- hummmm. Just reading your deal. I will let you know.

Tim- again thanks for the thoughts. I will reread later as I got to go now.

Those Watermasters ARE sexy. A friend of mine did a 25 mile hike in, and 3-day float out in Montana with one of those. They can be on the heavy side. His account of the trip is at:
http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19714

I did a float down the Green River in an Alpacka Rafts. They are great, and they are the lightest weight personal raft on the market. Pricey, but at 5.5 lbs max packed, they are great. And they are very durable. I would totally get one if the Scadden Outlaw weren't on my radar. Check them out!
http://www.alpackaraft.com/store/index.cfm?CategoryID=53&do=list

I have one like this...I also have a slightly bigger one that called a "Giant"

I lived about 2 blocks from the factory in Boise.

FWIW, there are numerous companies producing outrigger setups for canoes and kayaks. I just discovered this yesterday from browsing around (and I hope it wasn't already mentioned, or that I learned it from, this thread).

For another $150 on up, you can supposedly make these craft untippable.

I have recently purchased a 16ft creek company 3 man pontoon boat from ebay. I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. I purchased this because I have two young sons that want to go bass fishing on some of the small motor restricted lakes here in Montgomery and Bucks counties. The boat has two fishing stations w/ standing platforms and stripping baskets. It comes with a storage platform that you can mount a electric motor too or you can use the center station for oaring around. It comes with a anchor release system and 4 storage bags. At 16ft I'm will need a trailer so I don't have to waste setting it up along the banks. When I get it I will give you some feed back on it's performance.

Back