Pocono Newbie Jam - Fall Edition

what's the name of the stream? Is this still a brookie jam or are we fishing brown trout water?

We plan on giving you a few streams to fish. We will meet at the Pohopoco, but I think Paul might take a small group to exploration some brookie water. I will take a group on the Po or possibly on the Lehigh or both. There are a few other streams in the area we can fish as well. Meet back up for lunch and possibly go fish again.

papa, this is separate from the "brookie jam" thread. That's still in discussion but it'll probably be next year. That said, these guys look like they do have a brookie option.

I'm definitely out. I was just told I'm being sent to a conference in Pittsburgh that weekend/week. A shot in the dark here, but anyone else attending MS&T?

Thanks to Becker, PP, and the other guys for organizing.

I'm 50/50, maybe leaning a little 60/40 to the good at this point...with a few limitations though unfortunately. We have a late afternoon commitment I have to be home for, which means I have to leave up there by 2:00 at the latest.

I'd like to volunteer to lead a Brookie group out, but most of my firsthand Poconos stream knowledge is a good bit further north and east of where the meet-up point is. I'd say a good 45 minute drive, at least. On a full day to fish that's no problem, but with my limited time availability, I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to burn close to 2 more hours in the car. I know a stream or two more locally to the meet-up area, but they were shared to me by others (and not found on my own accord) and thus I'm not really comfortable taking a group of guys to those streams without their blessing I think.

Looking like at this point if I can make it it would be for the morning meet/greet/eat and then maybe a little fishing with the main group on the Po/Lehigh/wherever. I'd be happy to do a short small stream/Brookie presentation if there's some interest though.

As pcray mentioned, the separate "Brookie Jam" thread is still ongoing, although it looks like it's going to be tabled until next year...mid June timeframe probably to fit into the schedule with the other Jams and after the big hatches are over. We'll revive the thread in the Spring and get to work on the finer details at that point.

I have a couple of brookie streams in mind and these are a bit up north too so it's possible we might be thinking the same streams.

Meantime I think we should definitely play it by ear with brookie streams depending on how the weather is over the course of the next few months.

Right now most streams are running low and with the heat it's probably not adviseable to fish for brookies. Of course in saying this it's only August 9th right now and much can change in the next 2 months - so let's hope for a good bit of rain in September and hopefully cooler temps over the duration.

Depending on the above we can alternately fish the Pohopoco which has ample room and space to spread out, offering fingerling bred rainbows and wild browns, or some other streams in the general vacinity (short drives) from where we are going to meet.

In any case if we can't fit brookies in we always have next year to think about as discussed in the other thread that Swat started.

By the way, does someone want to volunteer to post the list of whose coming? And what they might be bringing (for lunch)?

SBecker wrote:
We plan on giving you a few streams to fish. We will meet at the Pohopoco, but I think Paul might take a small group to exploration some brookie water. I will take a group on the Po or possibly on the Lehigh or both. There are a few other streams in the area we can fish as well. Meet back up for lunch and possibly go fish again.

I was actually thinking about fishing your stretch of the Poho :-D :-D in the name of spot burning.....

Aducker wrote:
I would like to attend but don't know my schedule that far in advance. I'll put it on my calendar.

Hope you can make it ducker. Want to see you get into some fish.

If I'm not on call that weekend, I'm definitely in. Will know for sure in a few weeks. Also have to make sure Stagger's not going, cause we never attend the same events...

If I'm not on call that weekend, I'm definitely in. Will know for sure in a few weeks. Also have to make sure Stagger's not going, cause we never attend the same events...
50/50 but I might have to say no to keep the trend going :)

Can someone please google map the meetup location

I might be able to make this to help out some newbies. Definitely need to start paying it forward.

Aducker,
If I can make it, lets talk about carpooling?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
50/50 but I might have to say no to keep the trend going :)

Can someone please google map the meetup location

Not quite google map instructions but.....

Take 476 North to the Mahoning Valley Exit. From the toll booth take left ramp (toward Lehighton) and stay to the left (as the ramp splits into two lanes just across the bridge) and proceed to the Stop Sign at the end of the ramp.

Make a Left Turn on Rte. 209 and stay to the left. Just under the turpike ramp you'll come to a traffic light. Turn Left onto Harrity Rd. Immediately after crossing the bridge over the Pohopoco, make a Right Turn onto Pohopoco Drive.

Follow Pohopoco Drive for a couple of miles until you come to Mill Rd (on right) and make a Right Turn. Follow Mill back to the parking area.

*** Shane will be holding a Big Yellow Sign that says Stagger Party Park Here ***

Thanks for the map Ed

PPaul wrote:

*** Shane will be holding a Big Yellow Sign that says Stagger Party Park Here ***

Do you think one with a coiled rattlesnake would be appropriate for me? :-D

The problem for you, is I will be parking you in some obscure place, where you belong. Possibly the swimming area of Beltzville?

SBecker wrote:

The problem for you, is I will be parking you in some obscure place, where you belong. Possibly the swimming area of Beltzville?

The next day you'll see PPaul start a thread:

People Letting Stagger Swim in Streams In Sight of Fisherman

Guess I will bring up a few bottles of homemade wine, incase it a little cold on the stream.

Mmmmm and hopefully Auducker can make it as well. Shrimp and wine, geez midaswell start purchasing Orvis crap.

It's on my schedule. I'll know as it gets closer for sure. I'll be bringing shrimp again. :-D

SBecker wrote:
Mmmmm and hopefully Auducker can make it as well. Shrimp and wine, geez midaswell start purchasing Orvis crap.

The next day you'll see PPaul start a thread:

People Letting Stagger Swim in Streams In Sight of Fisherman

Close, but probably more a short story called
"How Stagger Repelled Fish and Females While Swimming the Pohopoco" - another in my Berkerian Series.

Back