Pocono Newbie Jam - Fall Edition

What a great day. Landed a brookie and a nice brown and lost a few. Kudos to Becker for his excellent guide services for the day- both on the river and in the restaurant. Those hot honey wings give 5 guys a run for "Best Post Fishing Meal".

After fishing with me yesterday, I know all you guys were tying Green Weenies last night! Don't tell anyone my secret.

Chef, Cathy, and Becker on the Lehigh

It's a bench day cause my back is stiff. So that means fly shop, mainstream outfitters for greenies stuff

That might be the worlds smallest picture. lol

Anyways, I had a great time yesterday. I enjoyed showing you guys how to fish a big river. Showing you how to read the water and likely spots where fish are holding. A shining moment was when Doc was fishing a nice run. I pointed out where two different currents were meeting. Told Doc where to stand and where to drift his fly through. Not 3 casts later he had his first Lehigh trout on. We all hooked up on the Lehigh except Daman, but that was only because we ran into him when we were leaving. lol At least he got to bushwack out with us.

Daman, I am glad to have finally met you. knowing you got two Po browns on the fly I provided you was rewarding.

Cathy, Always nice seeing you, and I want some of your streamer patterns! I will let you know when I head up to the Lack.

Chef, Always a pleasure and I am sure we will fish together again soon. Post any pictures you took, when you get back home to the crappy side of Philly (NJ).

Doc, Nice meeting you and feel free to let me know when you head up this way again.

Lunch was great and I am glad it lived up to what I said it would be. That is my secret wing place. You all should be honored I took you there :)

Lastly, Chef texted me this morning and said him and his father in-law fished the Lehigh today and were catching fish! He even provided a picture of a nice sized brookie.

Will do heading home in a few. Had a great day fishing with everyone. We got to do it soon.

Anybody hear about what happened to that plane? It was scary hearing his engine sputter out.

Think he landed safely at the local airport. No reports on the web.

beckers fish and the lehigh group

Attachments

• DSCF2029.JPG
    DSCF2029.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2033.JPG
    DSCF2033.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Good pics! Glad it seems like everyone had a good time and caught some fish. Really wished I coulda been there to hang out was really looking forward to fishing the stream pcray and Aducker fished, but that just wasn't in the cards this weekend. I'm a huge wing fan, so I'm half bummed I just missed out on those!

Feeling halfway decent now, but spent the entire weekend on the couch and just took it easy. Whatever the deal was Friday night took a lot out of me. Have to get another one of these planned...next time I won't go to the restaurant in question the night before!

Question about the plane...is there an airport nearby where you guys were fishing? A lot of times it's standard procedure for small prop planes to shut down the engine on final approach and glide in. I used to play golf at a course next to a small airport and thought the same thing the first few times I heard the planes shut down the engine before landing.

There is an airport nearby but his engine was sputtering and then shutoff. Then when it shutoff it seriously turned and was dropping faster then it was gliding

I kinda thought the same thing Swattie, but it was going the opposite way of the airport.

Thanks again for the wing place advice... I have seen the Riverwalk, which looks like a large log cabin, from 476 and wondered about it but never stopped ... I only met up with the brookie guys and hit the road before the Lehigh fishing set was in... but wound up at the riverwalk bar next to some people from Philly who have a cabin near albrightsville.. they showed me pictures of rattlers on their street. Good to keep the garage door closed I guess.

KBob, Riverwalcks wing's are really good because they are smoked. However, it's not the place with the best wings. I will take you there the next time you take me brookie fishing.

Few other pictures.

Attachments

• DSCF2043.JPG
    DSCF2043.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2037.JPG
    DSCF2037.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Here is the trout I got on the Lehigh the following day.

Attachments

• DSCF2071.JPG
    DSCF2071.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 5
Few others

Attachments

• DSCF2052.JPG
    DSCF2052.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2053.JPG
    DSCF2053.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 5
That is a nice size brookie, did it give you a good fight in the Lehigh current? Also, I thought we might have run into Bigfoot, when we bushwacked to the trail. That monster quest stone was appropriate.

Shane,

Here's the URL for the fish skull streamer I used.

http://flyguys.net/blog/fly-patterns/streamers/baby-rainbow-fish-skull-streamers

The others were simply rabbit strips palmered on streamer hooks or me just playing at the vise.

I used straight cut for tails, crosscut for bodies. And I like the new "frost tip" bunny fur. Not much in nature is really solidly colored.

Sounds like you guys/girls had a good time and it was a success. Kinda pissed I didn't go as my weekend sucked.

Back