People pay too much for...

On the Yeti being made in China, the cups are made in China, the coolers (at least when the Seiders owned it) were made in the Phillipines and the U.S. I've had a U.S. made Yeti hard cooler and a Phillipines made Yeti hard cooler. The original Yeti coolers, that started the craze, were made in the Philippines.

I hate that fly lines are expensive but I've casted some crappy lines on nice rods and all I have to say is yuck. I've had some friends buy inexpensive starter sets and I always tell them the first thing they should replace is the fly line.

I don’t recall many media people and politicians mentioning 2 years ago that Shell, and the other large oil companies, were loosing tens of billions of dollars.
Because they didn’t. Subsidies, billions of your tax dollars, kept them drinking the good stuff. BTW. Not even a thank you. Instead they offer a ____ you.

My guess is that none of the writers at the NY Times' Wirecutter ever saved up their vacation days for years, got lucky enough to draw a permit to hunt Elk or Moose 2,000 or miles from their home, spent a year planning a trip, and spent $10,000 to make it all happen, only to have spoiled meat when arriving home because they decided to save a few hundred bucks by buying a cheap cooler.;)
That's very....specific. MY guess is that situation is an outlier.

Just for the record, I buy things regardless of country of origin and I don't push "buy in the USA." Those new coolers are dang nice. I just think they should be cheaper than what they are.....

China has really stepped up their game on producing good quality items. If anyone here is a pocket knife junky then Spyderco is a great example. They manufacture in several countries, including here in USA, and quality is amazing on basically all of their products regardless of country of origin.

I don’t recall many media people and politicians mentioning 2 years ago that Shell, and the other large oil companies, were loosing tens of billions of dollars.

Supply and demand. Want more bang for your buck? Drive a more fuel efficient vehicle. Usually save money on the price of the car, the cost of insurance, maintenance, and certainly the $ spent on gasoline. (Not to mention do that and drive less and you’ll possibly help the brook trout of the future).

Last edited:
Golf balls, bicycle tires, canoes, gasoline, home remodeling materials, guided fishing trips, ...........

China has really stepped up their game on producing good quality items. If anyone here is a pocket knife junky then Spyderco is a great example. They manufacture in several countries, including here in USA, and quality is amazing on basically all of their products regardless of country of origin.
I have a US made spyderco (Para 3 lightweight) and a China made (Ambitious) and the US made is clearly smoother in operation - the China knife feels gritty and stiff on opening (even after the soapy water rinse and lube) but works as a cheap beater knife - the Rat 2 is the far better option for cheap beater.
Sample size of 2.

I have a US made spyderco (Para 3 lightweight) and a China made (Ambitious) and the US made is clearly smoother in operation - the China knife feels gritty and stiff on opening (even after the soapy water rinse and lube) but works as a cheap beater knife - the Rat 2 is the far better option for cheap beater.
Sample size of 2.
I have about 20 Spyderco's from all sources where they manufacture. My favorite Spydie I have is my PM2. That's a made in the USA blade for like what...$160? It's a killer blade. The point is this: my Spyderco Tenacious is made in China for $50..... it's all the knife anyone would ever need. It's solid, the steel is no "supersteel" but takes and holds an edge marvelously. That's a saving of over $100 for a still dang good blade.

I think the Taiwanese Spydies represent the best of their lineup, though.

I have 3 Rat 2 as well........see the picture...... amazing value, good blade, not made in the USA but not China, either.....
PXL 20230506 130822005

Dear Board,

Lots of good choices so far, but I will argue the cooler being a bad investment.

I bought the not so prestigious brand roto-molded cooler a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $ 175.00. Two trips to the Delaware shore for a week's duration with the cooler in the back of my truck all the time and I used 40 to 50#'s of ice for two weeks. If you know me you know I like to drink beer! With my old Igloo I would have used double that much and probably even more. The savings on ice alone covered the cost of the cooler.

Now, $ 5.00 a bag for ice is freaking ridiculous. I wish it was easier to find block ice like the old days. Two ten pound blocks bought at the shore lasted 4 days in my new cooler, and they were still about the size of a brick and the beer was plenty cold!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
I agree with you on the cooler. If you are going to use it a lot or for longer duration trips a higher end cooler is going to save on ice. If you only use coolers for an occasional bbq or party then a cheaper cooler will suffice. In the summer I use a cooler everyday. Using a cheap cooler costs more in ice than a nice high end cooler. Savings on ice if you use it a lot will pay off the cooler real fast.

I dump the ice from my Coleman cooler (I think it’s a 32 qt) at the end of every fishing trip. typically I just grab a gallon size bag of ice from the freezer along with a few frozen water bottles. I don’t drink beer when I fish, I just need it cold enough so my fruit doesn’t spoil, my mayo doesn’t turn and my water isn’t hot. I can pull a frozen water bottle out and set it in a cup holder and drink ice water all day long but I just need my water room temp.

I agree about the lack of block ice. Where did it go?

Mine too was a backyard wedding. (y)
It was one hell of a party too.
24 years ago and my family still talks about how much fun it was.
Mine was too and it was fairly cheap. As in your experience everyone still talks about how enjoyable our wedding was.

I spent more on the honeymoon by far.

While I’m always on the lookout for a “bargain” price, I don’t think most things are “overpriced” as long as we have the choice to buy, or to not buy, them.
Things only become expensive and overpriced when we loose our freedom to make these choices. The exceptions to this, perhaps, are lifesaving Items, like drugs, that might be priced well beyond our ability to pay for them.

I own Abel reels, Sage and Winston rods, Simms waders, and Yeti and RTIC coolers. I never thought any of them were overpriced because I had the freedom to choose whether to buy them or not. Whether any of these items were priced in line with their product quality, compared to the price and quality of other products, is always debatable.

Incidentally, if I were to ever be in the market for another cooler, I would seriously consider getting a Kong cooler.

That's very....specific. MY guess is that situation is an outlier.
Maybe, maybe not.

How about someone who leaves a cooler on the deck of their boat for months on end that also doubles as a seat and casting platform?

How about folks who hunt from a base camp for a week or so at a time and have no access to more ice?

How many people are there who just sneak away for a long weekend doing something in the outdoors where they sleep in their vehicle or a tent for a few days and have no access to purchase more ice?

How about people who are into riding side-by-side ATVs on rugged terrain where items on board take a constant pounding?

It's amazing what a difference quality gear can make when it's actually pushed to its limits by people who get off their couch.

I dump the ice from my Coleman cooler (I think it’s a 32 qt) at the end of every fishing trip. typically I just grab a gallon size bag of ice from the freezer along with a few frozen water bottles. I don’t drink beer when I fish, I just need it cold enough so my fruit doesn’t spoil, my mayo doesn’t turn and my water isn’t hot. I can pull a frozen water bottle out and set it in a cup holder and drink ice water all day long but I just need my water room temp.

I agree about the lack of block ice. Where did it go?
Dear poopdeck,

When I was younger, block ice was everywhere. It was a choice at most beer distributors. My dad still has his 50 plus year old ice pick!

When I moved to Binghamton NY in 1990 there was an ice plant on Front Street where you just fed 4 quarters into a slot and bagged 10# block of ice came out a chute in the wall. 24/7/365 availability.

Down in Bethany Beach DE Hockers Markets sell block ice along with bagged ice. I'd always buy block ice on beach vacations. But I can't find it anywhere around Harrisburg PA?

Regards,

Dear poopdeck,

When I was younger, block ice was everywhere. It was a choice at most beer distributors. My dad still has his 50 plus year old ice pick!

When I moved to Binghamton NY in 1990 there was an ice plant on Front Street where you just fed 4 quarters into a slot and bagged 10# block of ice came out a chute in the wall. 24/7/365 availability.

Down in Bethany Beach DE Hockers Markets sell block ice along with bagged ice. I'd always buy block ice on beach vacations. But I can't find it anywhere around Harrisburg PA?

Regards,

Tim:

Give Good Time in Harrisburg a call:

1621 North 7th Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102

717-848-2639

They MAKE ice and sell blocks as well as cubes to stores & beer distributors.

Good luck!

Dear poopdeck,

Regards,

Dear Tim Murphy,

Why not just make your own block ice in a deep freezer?

Regards,

Jifigz

Wegman's sells block ice.

Back